Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the different cd changers for my EX. The ones which use the FM modulator are quite a bit cheaper.. My question is, is there a big difference in the sound quality of the modulator and the direc t connect to the Honda head unit with the Blitzsafe? Can anyone except a sound "expert" actually hear the difference?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
4603pba said:
I have been looking at the different cd changers for my EX. The ones which use the FM modulator are quite a bit cheaper.. My question is, is there a big difference in the sound quality of the modulator and the direc t connect to the Honda head unit with the Blitzsafe? Can anyone except a sound "expert" actually hear the difference?
I have never used modulation with my Changer, but I have listened to others that have. There is a distinct difference between a cable and modulation...unless you're a little deaf. My changer sounds more crisp than the CD player in the Head Unit. I used the Blitzsafe interface. I know of at least one person in this forum that had problems with a new PIE interface.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: cd changer

SteveLuman said:

I have never used modulation with my Changer, but I have listened to others that have. There is a distinct difference between a cable and modulation...unless you're a little deaf. My changer sounds more crisp than the CD player in the Head Unit. I used the Blitzsafe interface. I know of at least one person in this forum that had problems with a new PIE interface.
Do you mean that the sound quality of a changer with the interface will be better than my in dash CD? Will the FM modulator be about the same quality as my in dash changer?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Re: Re: cd changer

4603pba said:

Do you mean that the sound quality of a changer with the interface will be better than my in dash CD? Will the FM modulator be about the same quality as my in dash changer?
Yes, my Alpine changer appears to sound better than the indash CD player. I doubt seriously that a modulated changer would sound as good as the indash unit.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: Re: Re: cd changer

4603pba said:
A CD changer using an FM modulator will, at best, have the sound quality of the best FM station (i.e., non-digital sound quality).

Although at this Kenwood stereo site, they claim it will be better than FM because you are directly jacked into the FM antenna cable. They still state that the sound is not as good as a wired CD player, but they claim you won't notice the difference.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone heard of a cd changer by USA Spec? It is susposed to be the same as the factory changer. Plugs in to radio with no adapters needed. The price I have received is approx $350 + tax installed..

·
Registered
145 Posts
FM modulator vs. cassette adapter

So here's a question I have always wondered about: which would sound better, the FM modulator or one of the older cassette adapters? I have used the iRock FM modulator for my iPod (when my son wants to watch a movie), but just discovered a long-forgotten cassette adapter from a time when I hooked a portable CD player into an older cassette deck.

Any thoughts on which should sound better? How would the cassette compare to a direct connection to the head end?

--Bret

1 - 7 of 7 Posts