Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just wanted to give everyone a quick scenario about how you could get locked out of the Pilot. As you all know, you can not lock the door from the inside if you still have your keys in the ignition. You can't even use the use the remote to lock/unlock the doors if the keys are in the ignition. This is all true; however, upon an incident last Thursday, I discovered that you can actually lock yourself out of the Pilot. Here we go...

If you leave the keys in the ignition, the only way to lock the Pilot is with a second key and insert it into the door. Sometimes, I may leave the Pilot running (with the valet key) to keep it warm, and lock the door with regular key. I came up with a clever way to be lazy about locking the door without having to use my key in the door while the valet key was left in the ignition. I would get out of the Pilot and close the door, run around to the other side, open the door and lock it from inside the passenger door, then finally shut that door. This way, the car is locked and still running and I did not even have to bring out the set of keys that I usually have attached to my belt loop.

I know, you are probably thinking "He's Crazy" -- well I am. See my username.:D No really, there is like a near-zero crime rate here, so theft is not really an issue in this part of the PA. Anyways, to make a long story short, I did this a few days ago when going to pick up my daughter and realized I did not have my second set of keys attached to my belt loop :eek: This time when I looked down after I closed the door and they were not there -- there was a brief moment of silence. Man you talk about a :( moment. Naturally I soon became an :3: son-of-a-gun.

Now, here I am, a grown man locked out his "still new" car standing in the rain. A few people offered if they could "help" but I would reply "Thanks, but you can't unless you have a fancy Pilot key that would fit my door!" I did not bother to call the police -- they probably would not believe it was my vehicle and try to give me a ticket instead (i.e. my flashers were on in a no-parking lane). Also, didn't want anyone to touch (or perhaps break) my Pilot doors. Instead I called my wife (who worked 35 minutes away) and shortly, she saved the day! Boy, was I glad to see her arrive :10: -- and so was my daughter!

New Lesson: Never use the stupid valet key!! :bonk: ...
"And don't leave the Pilot running when not inside it!!" as gopilot later replied. EVEN WHEN IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!

Review Lesson: Fellas, PLEASE love thy wife with all thine heart!! After all, this is why my wife bothered to come in the first place! :werd:

Take care and Happy Piloting!!:2:

·
Registered
991 Posts
And don't leave the Pilot running when not inside it!!

Very bad man...

:D Your heart must have dropped to your feet after looking and noticing you did not have extra set of keys.. Your wife is a hero!

Otherwise I guess you would be looking for a big enough rock..

:eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gopilot said:
And don't leave the Pilot running when not inside it!!

Very bad man...

:D Your heart must have dropped to your feet after looking and noticing you did not have extra set of keys.. Your wife is a hero!

Otherwise I guess you would be looking for a big enough rock..

:eek:
gopilot,
Good point. I added your comment to my new lesson! On the other note, you bet my heart dropped. Surely, my wife was a superhero on that day. I thought about the rock thing for a brief nanosecond, but thought it would not to be a good idea -- especially after how long I hung in those negotiation meetings (with my wife) to come to an agreement for purchasing the Pilot. I'm sure I would have gotten a :twak: for using a rock! Besides, I'd never want to hurt my new-born baby.:headshak:

Anyways, Happy Piloting!:2:

·
Registered
415 Posts
An auto_start type of alarm system should be able to do the same for you - leave the car running with the doors locked and the alarm set.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Jiaronnis said:
An auto_start type of alarm system should be able to do the same for you - leave the car running with the doors locked and the alarm set.
Yep, I have a remote starter which allows me to take the key out of the ignition with a push of a button. I still have to remember to lock the door though once I'm out of it. Once I come back, I unlock the doors, I get in and also have to remember to put the key back in the ignition or else if I press on the brake pedal to change gears, the car stalls.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Good story with a happy ending, CoasterCrazy26!! With my wife's Corolla, it uses a regular key and it came with a credit card-sized "spare key" that you can slip into your wallet in case a lockout occurs. With these new fancy, schmancy Pilot keys, that won't work any more... :(

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts