Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I‘ve owned my Pilot Elite since new in August 2015 (it’s a 2016 model) with only about 45,000 miles. I plan on trading it in for a Toyota in a few weeks. Yesterday while driving slowly down my street in my Pilot, the transmission started grinding, error messages of all kinds started flashing and the electronic shifter would not go into park. Error messages said transmission failure, emission system failure, blind spot sensor failure, etc etc you name it. Then the engine started revving uncontrollably. I couldn’t shift into park (!!!). I literally had to depress the brake and start button at the same time for several seconds before it would shut off. I guess it went into park when that happened. After a few minutes I tried starting it and the engine revved up uncontrollably again and I was afraid to put it in gear. So I had it towed to the local Honda dealer. They discovered the problem was twofold- the “rear bank V-Tech pressure switch” failed and there was an internal short on the start/stop switch (but this had been replaced before so not sure why it failed so soon). Anyway, so far today it’s running fine. Me and my Pilot have been a lot of places the past 5 years and I really think it knows I’m about to trade it in for a Toyota. I hope it doesn’t fall apart now.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
You have now entered, the Twilight Zone.

Why a Toy Yoda? they have about the same rep as a Honda.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have now entered, the Twilight Zone.

Why a Toy Yoda? they have about the same rep as a Honda.
No, I think in years past Honda had an edge over Toyota in quality but in recent years Toyota/Lexus have surpassed Honda. Toyota/Lexus are so far ahead of Honda in hybrid technology it's embarrassing.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Yep I'm pretty sure Toyota has the edge right now when it comes to reliability. Sorry you're having trouble with the Pilot.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Unfortunately the 4 Runner kicks anything from What Honda could bring to the table .

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
125 Posts
If reliability is what you're after, you know what to do.

·
Registered
125 Posts
No, I think in years past Honda had an edge over Toyota in quality but in recent years Toyota/Lexus have surpassed Honda. Toyota/Lexus are so far ahead of Honda in hybrid technology it's embarrassing.
By a significant margin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am on my 6th Honday - Have not had any issues durring the 3-4 years I have kept each of them. @Tahoefever, would it not make more sense to compare Pilot and Highlander?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I am on my 6th Honday - Have not had any issues durring the 3-4 years I have kept each of them. @Tahoefever, would it not make more sense to compare Pilot and Highlander?
The Highlander competes with the CX-9, Sorrento and other 3 rows that have a child-only third row. I know quite a few people who made this mistake and ended up upsizing from the Highlander a year or two later.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I‘ve owned my Pilot Elite since new in August 2015 (it’s a 2016 model) with only about 45,000 miles. I plan on trading it in for a Toyota in a few weeks. Yesterday while driving slowly down my street in my Pilot, the transmission started grinding, error messages of all kinds started flashing and the electronic shifter would not go into park. Error messages said transmission failure, emission system failure, blind spot sensor failure, etc etc you name it. Then the engine started revving uncontrollably. I couldn’t shift into park (!!!). I literally had to depress the brake and start button at the same time for several seconds before it would shut off. I guess it went into park when that happened. After a few minutes I tried starting it and the engine revved up uncontrollably again and I was afraid to put it in gear. So I had it towed to the local Honda dealer. They discovered the problem was twofold- the “rear bank V-Tech pressure switch” failed and there was an internal short on the start/stop switch (but this had been replaced before so not sure why it failed so soon). Anyway, so far today it’s running fine. Me and my Pilot have been a lot of places the past 5 years and I really think it knows I’m about to trade it in for a Toyota. I hope it doesn’t fall apart now.
You must have a low "pain threshold" if you believe that a failed pressure switch and a shorted start/stop switch equate to failures of "catastrophic" proportions.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You must have a low "pain threshold" if you believe that a failed pressure switch and a shorted start/stop switch equate to failures of "catastrophic" proportions.
Simple fix, yes. But when your transmission grinds to halt, you can’t shift, it won’t turn off and the engine starts revving uncontrollably does that not seem the least bit catastrophic to you? It was a real danger to me and all those around me. I thought fast and miraculously got it turned off, but if it were someone who hesitated or got flustered someone could have been seriously hurt. When a part fails you should not have this happen. No more, Toyota or Lexus from now on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Simple fix, yes. But when your transmission grinds to halt, you can’t shift, it won’t turn off and the engine starts revving uncontrollably does that not seem the least bit catastrophic to you? It was a real danger to me and all those around me. I thought fast and miraculously got it turned off, but if it were someone who hesitated or got flustered someone could have been seriously hurt. When a part fails you should not have this happen. No more, Toyota or Lexus from now on.
Agreed.

No matter how minor or inexpensive the part is, if it leaves my family stranded then it's catastrophic period! Welcome to the real world. The rationale used here sometimes defies logic. I suppose I should have a dedicated mechanic riding alongside in vehicle loaded with parts :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Highlander competes with the CX-9, Sorrento and other 3 rows that have a child-only third row. I know quite a few people who made this mistake and ended up upsizing from the Highlander a year or two later.
Why? Each vehicle has their pros and cons. The Highlander IS a direct competitor and equivalent to the Pilot.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
The last gen highlander was weak in the third row, but I think that the new gen intended to or did fix those issues.
the hybrid version definitely helps sales

·
Registered
813 Posts
I gotta agree with @whoa on this one. Do you really think Honda or Toyota would make a car and not benchmark it against one another? I agree that the third row in the Highlander is smaller than the Pilot, but do you think many people carry adults in the third row of a Pilot?

·
Registered
34 Posts
we test drove both the Highlander and the Pilot when we were looking for a car and the Pilot had a definite edge in 3rd row room. A little bit more knee room in the Pilot but also a lower 3rd row floor. I had both my teenage kids sit in line behind me (6ft2) driving to make it as challenging as we could - both of them preferred the Pilot. Otherwise I don't think that there was a great deal in it to be honest, the pros and cons were different but fairly even overall.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
You must not remember the problems Toyota and Lexus had with unintended acceleration.
That was a "real danger' that resulted in deaths.
Eventually, many of their vehicles were recalled to retrofit a brake override of the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
10 Posts
There is really no such thing as the perfect vehicle.
I think in many ways, they are getting worse.
If they offered a Fred Flintstone Special Edition, I'd be all over it.
I cross shopped the Pilot EX-L with a comparable mid level Highlander.
It was a nice vehicle. I saw absolutely nothing that would compel me to pay 5K more for it.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts