Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I began the timing belt water pump job on a 2014 Accord V6 for a family member. Even though the vehicle is only at 104k miles the the belt and water pump were soon to fail. In this case the failure is in the water pump. It has nearly seized. The timing belt has stretched and created slack between the two cams. The belt is literally flopping around under the water pump pulley. The pump is not leaking. Thankfully it was caught in time before total engine failure.
The symptom of this condition was.., hesitation, almost dying when attempting to accelerate from a stop. Unexplainable overheating when idling for a few minutes.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Able to twist the TB belt this much. Tension has not been released.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
850 Posts
Good catch! Had the coolant been previously changed out? Perhaps replaced with water (since you are in Texas with little danger of freezing). I'm wondering if lack of water pump lubricant in the coolant, or old worn out coolant was a factor in the pump bearing seizing up?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good catch! Had the coolant been previously changed out? Perhaps replaced with water (since you are in Texas with little danger of freezing). I'm wondering if lack of water pump lubricant in the coolant, or old worn out coolant was a factor in the pump bearing seizing up?
System is full of Genuine Honda 50/50 blue coolant. Overflow bottle is filled between the lines.

·
Administrator
15,570 Posts
Well done, mate. You saved it. Never seen anything that flexible except when the TB broke.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
403 Posts
I have also seen the tensioner fail causing slack in the belt. Glad you caught it before a valve went through the piston. There are good reasons why you replace the water pump and the tensioner when you change out the belt.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Verified,
Well done, mate. You saved it. Never seen anything that flexible except when the TB broke.
I guess saying I wasn't busy at the moment and that the weather is nice, would be the only credit I could take, lol. He felt it could wait since it's not to 105k miles. Glad he didn't.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Verified Genuine Honda water pump.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD
440 Posts
Me thinks it was actually the timing belt tensioner perhaps? I also understand the Water pump was about to go too? Was it hard to turn by hand, or rough when you turned it? Lile crepitus in a moving joint?

Good find!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Me thinks it was actually the timing belt tensioner perhaps? I also understand the Water pump was about to go too? Was it hard to turn by hand, or rough when you turned it? Lile crepitus in a moving joint?

Good find!
The tensioner has not failed (after further review, it was failing). The belt is tight on both sides of the cams. The slack is between the cams with the belt looped under the water pump. I can turn the pump, but as you described. The belt is not preventing me from turning it.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In addition to the TB WP job, I made the discovery of a failed oil filter housing (adapter) gasket. Will be getting a Fel-Pro replacement gasket shortly. This gasket can only be replaced with the crankshaft pulley removed. Something to be mindful of when your timing belt job rolls around.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Good find!
The tensioner has not failed. The belt is tight on both sides of the cams. The slack is between the cams with the belt looped under the water pump. I can turn the pump, but as you described. The belt is not preventing me from turning it.
I have to eat my words and say @The Todd was right. Although the water pump is tighter than what a new one should be like, it appears that the Timing Belt Tensioner was on the way out. That's not motor oil inside the tensioner.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In addition to the TB WP job, I made the discovery of a failed oil filter housing (adapter) gasket. Will be getting a Fel-Pro replacement gasket shortly. This gasket can only be replaced with the crankshaft pulley removed. Something to be mindful of when your timing belt job rolls around.
View attachment 142093
After picking up this Fel-Pro gasket #72951, I removed the oil filter housing only to discover it's the wrong gasket. These are obviously AWD/2wd sensitive and O'Reilly did not specify. So now I have to wait until Tuesday for the dealership to get one in. Could not find a conveniently located aftermarket gasket anywhere.

So the car sits. 😑

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
39 Posts
What's a strange thought for owner to think they can ignore car running issue (overheat/engine dying at stop light) until 105k maintenance.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's a strange thought for owner to think they can ignore car running issue (overheat/engine dying at stop light) until 105k maintenance.
I wouldn't say they ignored it. We have been actively trying to diagnose the problem. Testing cooling fans, replaced spark plugs, cleaned the MAF and new air filter. You don't expect that a timing belt and freezing water pump could cause this. The tensioner pulley was not knocking yet. It was weakening.
It was not overheating going down the highway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for sharing the details. You had ruled out other possibilities.
I heard story of one person buying a car with overheat issue. He tried all possibilities, flush coolant, new thermostat, bad engine temp, ... until the final task, removing the WP. It turned out PO had refilled rad with hard water which caused WP fins all rusted off. The WP turned but did not circulate coolant.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts