Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Pilot Lx
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at work a few weeks ago the Catalytic converter was stolen from my 2015 Pilot. Work security pulled footage and the vandalism only took ~1 min. The thief was going to hit 2-3 other vehicles but was scared off as someone was walking out the building front door. Digging deeper this part seems to be frequently stolen in my city with about 1 per day being reported.
Looking under the car the Catalytic Converter is super easy to access and doesn't require any effort at all to cut. This makes the Pilot an easy target.

Are there any preferred actions I can take with the vehicle to make this a less appealing target?
Ideas I am currently considering,
  • Started to always try to park closer to the front door.
  • Full belly brush/skid plate of some form
  • Alarm system with auto start

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Sorry to hear about this! I would say a skid plate, even a plastic one will deter any recip saw thief. I'm not familiar with what is available for the 2nd gens but worst case you could have something fabbed up. Honestly, even a plastic shield would likely be enough since undoing bolts would take 10x longer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe there are aftermarket guards to go around the cat to make it harder to get. Only thing that would concern me about a skid plate is the cat still gets quite hot, so don't cover it up too much. I think some of the aftermarket guards are aluminum, which makes a good heat sink.

Sorry to hear. One of my former colleagues had it happen to his Jeep. Crooks hit several businesses that day, including ours. Drove down our long driveway, went around behind the building, zeroed in on his brand-new Jeep, and zip, it was gone.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Repurposed steel plates or skid plates could have an uptick in marketing: “great defense against rocks and sawzalls”
4C53FFE6-119F-4BBE-A82C-C1299E2CEDCF.jpeg

·
Registered
2015 Pilot Lx
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe there are aftermarket guards to go around the cat to make it harder to get. Only thing that would concern me about a skid plate is the cat still gets quite hot, so don't cover it up too much. I think some of the aftermarket guards are aluminum, which makes a good heat sink.

Sorry to hear. One of my former colleagues had it happen to his Jeep. Crooks hit several businesses that day, including ours. Drove down our long driveway, went around behind the building, zeroed in on his brand-new Jeep, and zip, it was gone.
Thanks for the tip will keep an eye for a aluminum version!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
This looks pretty unwieldy to me. http://catclamp.com

Just another, unknown reason at the time, for the skid plate I put on when I bought the Passport.

·
Registered
2015 Pilot Lx
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This looks pretty unwieldy to me. Catalytic Converter | Difficult | Cut | Cat Clamp

Just another, unknown reason at the time, for the skid plate I put on when I bought the Passport.
I agree plus I’m not a fan of loose things. In my ever deepening dive on youtube, its looking like a full skid guard or a full vented plate is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Some evidence suggests cat thieves are less likely to hit cars with dashcams.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Man that sucks, they are starting to get stolen around here too. Meth heads are getting bad and there are a few shady scrap dealers willing to accept the stolen cats. Might need to consider something myself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
MY fathers CRV got hit about a month ago down in kendall FL. Just took a few minutes while he went inside the bank. Now im scared to drive the Pilot down to miami in June with the family.
Maybe I should drive with a spare cat in the trunk just in case?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Man that sucks, they are starting to get stolen around here too. Meth heads are getting bad and there are a few shady scrap dealers willing to accept the stolen cats. Might need to consider something myself.
I think I'm going to wrap mine in razor sharp bob wire.

Reactions: Maritime

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Wrapping the cat with razor sharp bob wire might at least give the police some DNA evidence to go on. 😏

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
I think I'm going to wrap mine in razor sharp bob wire.
Tell me exactly where does Bob get his wire?😉🤣

It’s called barbed wire or sometimes barb wire. The name deriving from the twisted wire barbs integrated into the length of the wire.

Also barbed wire is never razor sharp. That would be concertina wire also called razor wire. Great for keeping humans in check, but never used with livestock. At least not by anyone who doesn’t want to injur, maim, or kill their animals.
😁😆😅😂🤣

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
SUVs 🚙 make it too ez to creep under. Best to get some protective skid plate
I do believe you need to explain for some that what you are recommending does include green colored Haines briefs. 😆

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Tell me exactly where does Bob get his wire?😉🤣

It’s called barbed wire or sometimes barb wire. The name deriving from the twisted wire barbs integrated into the length of the wire.

Also barbed wire is never razor sharp. That would be concertina wire also called razor wire. Great for keeping humans in check, but never used with livestock. At least not by anyone who doesn’t want to injur, maim, or kill their animals.
😁😆😅😂🤣
It's a bob wire fence. 🤠
Quit tryin to change things.

Reactions: aggrex
1 - 20 of 35 Posts