Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my last nerve with my 07 exl...I bought it 2 years ago and up until recently I had a vtm-4 light and cel p0420 on and off. Had the dealer I bought it from do a "cat test" said it wasnt the issue and couldnt diagnose because the light was always off by the time I drove there ?‍♀ The most recent problem is highway/long distances it feels like its stuck in a low gear trying to go faster feels like high rpms. When coming to a stop after driving faster than 40mph trying to go again is not an option it doesnt even rev up. Shut it off start it again and boom back to normal. Now it has no heat whatsoever but no coolant leaks or fluid loss in it. I'm ready to call it quits if it is cats and/or heater core problem...any input?? Thanks!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,047 Posts
Answers to these questions might help pinpoint the issue:

For the no heat issue do you get any heat at the rear vents? On my Pilot I only get rear heat at the rear floor vent, and not the upper rear vent. Your model may be different.

Does the rear blower work?

When you change the front temperature setting between hot and cold what do you hear? Do you hear what sounds like a door flap moving? Do this with the engine off.

When you change the front heater setting between hot and cold have a helper look at the valve near the firewall. Does the valve turn? @plplplpl has the link to this.

For the tranny issue when was the last time the tranny fluid was drained and filled (noting a d&f exchanges about 1/3 of system capacity)?

·
Registered
603 Posts
It sounds like you need a cat and a heater core. ?

Seriously, P0420 is an issue for lots of people. There are many causes, need a new cat, need to use better quality fuel, need a valve adjustment, need to replace O2 sensors, etc.

On your transmission issue, that sounds like low fluid, or pressure sensors need to be replaced (common issue) and you might not be seeing these codes because your CEL/VTM lights are already on.

If it were me, first thing I'd do if this was a FWD model (not AWD) is disable the VCM using VCMTunerII.

I'd buy a code reader and learn how to use it ($20), then I'd start using a top tier fuel or ethanol free for a while if you can find it, and see if the CEL/VTM light comes back on. If P0420 again, Id replace the upstream O2 sensor.... because it isnt too expensive, and I can do it myself.

On the transmission, I'd do 3-4 back to back drain/fills of the transmission fluid (I assume you have not done this as soon as you bought it?) Then I would see if I can reproduce the issue, and pull codes to see if it tells me which transmission pressure switches to replace (also easy) assuming that's it.

On the heater, you might have a clogged heater core, if you have not been maintaining the coolant (flush/replace every 6 years or 100k miles) or if someone ever added tap water to the system, or added the wrong coolant. Or it could be something REALLY simple like a stuck heater control valve.... or a loose screw on the heater control valve. No heat in front console

·
Registered
6,224 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Seriously, P0420 is an issue for lots of people. There are many causes, need a new cat, need to use better quality fuel, need a valve adjustment, need to replace O2 sensors, etc.

On your transmission issue, that sounds like low fluid, or pressure sensors need to be replaced (common issue) and you might not be seeing these codes because your CEL/VTM lights are already on.

If it were me, first thing I'd do if this was a FWD model (not AWD) is disable the VCM using VCMTunerII.

I'd buy a code reader and learn how to use it ($20), then I'd start using a top tier fuel or ethanol free for a while if you can find it, and see if the CEL/VTM light comes back on. If P0420 again, Id replace the upstream O2 sensor.... because it isnt too expensive, and I can do it myself.

On the transmission, I'd do 3-4 back to back drain/fills of the transmission fluid (I assume you have not done this as soon as you bought it?) Then I would see if I can reproduce the issue, and pull codes to see if it tells me which transmission pressure switches to replace (also easy) assuming that's it.

On the heater, you might have a clogged heater core, if you have not been maintaining the coolant (flush/replace every 6 years or 100k miles) or if someone ever added tap water to the system, or added the wrong coolant. Or it could be something REALLY simple like a stuck heater control valve.... or a loose screw on the heater control valve. No heat in front console
So I did the coolant flush as soon as I got it home from the dealers. Also did the trans fluid air filter spark plugs etc I've put about 30k miles on it since I've had it. I had someone else suggest app sensor for the "tranny" issue that maybe it's the throttle. I'm going to run the codes again today see if and what exactly is new on that. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Answers to these questions might help pinpoint the issue:

For the no heat issue do you get any heat at the rear vents? On my Pilot I only get rear heat at the rear floor vent, and not the upper rear vent. Your model may be different.

Does the rear blower work?

When you change the front temperature setting between hot and cold what do you hear? Do you hear what sounds like a door flap moving? Do this with the engine off.

When you change the front heater setting between hot and cold have a helper look at the valve near the firewall. Does the valve turn? @plplplpl has the link to this.

For the tranny issue when was the last time the tranny fluid was drained and filled (noting a d&f exchanges about 1/3 of system capacity)?
When I got it before the 30k miles I put on I did all the proper maintenance fluid changes etc. I'm going to check on the rear heat today I havent even thought to check if that was running hot or not but the screw to the valve is tight I checked. Thanks! Going to run codes and check a couple suggestions and see where that leads me lol

·
Banned
379 Posts

I didn't know an 07 would have VCM. What year did that start in the pilot?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I didn't know an 07 would have VCM. What year did that start in the pilot?
2006, in FWD vehicles.

2006-2008 AWD Pilots got a J35A9 engine, which is non-VCM.
2006-2008 FWD Pilots got a J35Z1 engine, which IS VCM.

This is why so many people love the 2006-2008 AWD pilots, they were the last of that body style, most all the bugs were worked out, and they were very reliable engines from a high mileage perspective, as they were non-VCM.

·
Banned
379 Posts
2006, in FWD vehicles.

2006-2008 AWD Pilots got a J35A9 engine, which is non-VCM.
2006-2008 FWD Pilots got a J35Z1 engine, which IS VCM.

This is why so many people love the 2006-2008 AWD pilots, they were the last of that body style, most all the bugs were worked out, and they were very reliable engines from a high mileage perspective, as they were non-VCM.
Ah ok. I thought it started with second gen. I have an 04 as a second vehicle so I'm safe from the VCM!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts