Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Pilot with 87K. Engine light came on and the code referred to catalyric converter. My Honda mechanic suggested a downstream O2 sensor had failed and when I replaced the sensor, only $30, he said the cataytic converter was bad. $330 later it was fixed. How can a catalytic converter go bad with only 87K on car?

·
Registered
603 Posts
What was the code? Did you use a good quality/branded sensor? I try and stick with OEM/Denso for these.

After that.... age matters too. The cat is 17 years old, and nearing 100k miles. Lots of short trips vs long trips has an impact, fuel quality, etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Does it burn oil? Driving habits and maintenance intervals can affect it too.

I have seen several Honda vehicles throw a catalyst efficiency code and usually O2 sensor fixed it. I only use OEM or Denso sensors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was the code? Did you use a good quality/branded sensor? I try and stick with OEM/Denso for these.

After that.... age matters too. The cat is 17 years old, and nearing 100k miles. Lots of short trips vs long trips has an impact, fuel quality, etc.
p0420. Long trips and mostly highway miles. when mechanic pulled old 02 sesnsor he said he could see thee converter was bad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it burn oil? Driving habits and maintenance intervals can affect it too.

I have seen several Honda vehicles throw a catalyst efficiency code and usually O2 sensor fixed it. I only use OEM or Denso sensors.
burns no oil. Well maintained when mechanic pulled old 02 sesnsor he said he could see the converter was bad. Thought converter could last more than 17 years

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just doing research on this very issue! p0420, 170k, burning a little oil and Blue Driver says cylinder 2 is misfiring also. I was thinking about replacing it myself but it looks pretty involved based on what I saw on YouTube. My local mechanic can get the part for about what I saw it for on Amazon and RockAuto.

·
Registered
284 Posts
had this issue on an 03 RAV4 at 190K. Tried an internet solution - removed the upstream sensors and poured sea foam straight in. It smoked bad for 40 miles then cleared up. Fault code is gone. The internet solution recommends using seafoam spray.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How can a catalytic converter go bad with only 87K on car?
My 2004 Pilot with 189K at the time had a cracked through completely catalyst in the rear of the converter. It never threw a code but the rattling around on acceleration and deceleration became annoying enough to us that I went ahead and replaced it. I think we drove it like that for about 50K.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2003 Pilot with 87K. Engine light came on and the code referred to catalyric converter. My Honda mechanic suggested a downstream O2 sensor had failed and when I replaced the sensor, only $30, he said the cataytic converter was bad. $330 later it was fixed. How can a catalytic converter go bad with only 87K on car?
Riding on dirt roads with lots of bumps can break the honeycomb type converter. I once had a Mustang GT with stiff suspension that killed the catalytic converter. A Pilot should have the problem unless your hitting streets with pot holes or bad dirt roads at speed. The other thing that can get both oxygen sensor and converter clogged up is cheap gas that has no additives to clean and lubricate the engine or if you choose to buy cheap gas to save money you don't ad a gas treatment every 3rd or 4th fillup. If the engine is burning oil from bad rings then those items will get clogged up but you should have seen and smelled the exhaust. The exhaust would be blueish or blackish depending on the oil and where corrective action could have been taken early to save the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Replacing the catalytic converter will always fix a P0420 or P0430 code. Unless, like mentioned above, it's internally broken, it's important to correct the reason for cat failure. Otherwise your new ones will plug and these codes will occur again. Likely sooner if you used an aftermarket brand because in most cases I've seen, the after market cats are somewhat smaller in size than OEM.

Reactions: Slvr7
1 - 14 of 14 Posts