Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we purchased our Pilot EX-L this weekend and absolutely LOVE IT!!! But i do have a concern with installing our Brittax Marathon carseat directly on the second row leather seats. I'm concerned with the carseat damaging the leather or leaving a lasting imprint. We use the "latch system and tether" to secure the carseat but do you think it will damage the leather? I'm considering placing some type of mat between the carseat and leather but not sure if this would make it less safe. I have the same concern when using a booster as well but there isnt nearly as much pressure applied to the seat vs the actual carseat. Are there any aftermarket accessories specifically designed to tackle this problem? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
ChewDZ, I have to know

Does the DZ stand for Delta Zeta? (I'm a DZ)

·
Registered
771 Posts
As an owner of 2 carseats on leather I strongly suggest you put something under the seats. The scooting of the seats wears on the leather. I actually got some kind of sheet to put under my seats from the police department that installed them and continue to use it but any towel or sheet will do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AH...thanks for the link Sage! I'll update the VIN table once i get home.

catbert - ChewDZ is a nick my buddy gave me. Most of my family and friends call me Chuy. A friend decided to mix it up a little and thus named me ChewDZ off the Heezee Fosheezee.

·
Registered
920 Posts
What works the best is the rubber/spongy stuff that you use to line your cupboards with, especially on leather-

·
Registered
44 Posts
Under your / our car seat

For our Pilot we have what is called a CAR SEAT UNDERMAT. You can get these at most baby stores or online. Here is some info on one from BabiesRus.com

Car Seat Undermat
By Especially for Baby

Price: $12.99

Offered by: Babiesrus.com

Features:

Made of fleece and nylon
Provides upholstery protection for two car seats
Absorbs spills
3 mesh storage pockets help keep you organized
Machine washable

This is not the one we bought, but it will be a matter of choice on which one you will like best. They take away the fear of really tightening down the car seat on the leather. We have our car seat in the middle of the second row using the LATCH hooks

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
As an owner of 2 carseats on leather I strongly suggest you put something under the seats. The scooting of the seats wears on the leather. I actually got some kind of sheet to put under my seats from the police department that installed them and continue to use it but any towel or sheet will do.
A properly installed seat won't scoot much, if it scoots at all. It shouldn't move more than an inch at the beltpath. So any damage would be caused by the pressure, not by movement. Carseat techs recommend using the spongy non-adhesive shelf liner that MG Pilot suggested. There are other underseat mats as well. If you want to try one of those, just be sure you can get a good tight fit without the mat first - a mat can't solve a loose installation. Whatever you do, don't use anything thick or padded under your carseats.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: Under your / our car seat

SoCalGary said:
For our Pilot we have what is called a CAR SEAT UNDERMAT. You can get these at most baby stores or online. Here is some info on one from BabiesRus.com
Are you talking about this one? If so, be sure to read the reviews. I personally would stay away from it. Really, putting *anything* under a forward-facing carseat is pretty iffy anyway. You don't want to do it unless you absolutely have to.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not this one...

No, as I mentioned in the earlier post, this is NOT the one we have, but was the only one that i could find quickly - as an example only, not a recommendation.

The one we have is made of flexible, but very strong rubber that is not more than 1/4 inch thick. Although the seat never moved before, the item we purchased made it better where the angled and somewhat sharp edges of the bottom of the Booster seat (3 year old child) pressed into the leather.

:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used to own/lease an Acura TL-S with black leather using the latch system and the rubber mat that babiesRus offers but then I found out through a baby seat check that the mat allows too much slippage(they said that one inch is too much).
The CHP and American Red Cross suggested and gave us the shelf lining material that is rubberized and in a mesh pattern.

It is cheap, allows little to no slippage and does not tear up the leather. We use the latch system and the middle seat belt to secure my little girl.

Be warned!! If you use the middle seat belt to secure the seat, make sure that an occupants do not unbuckle it mistakenly for their own seat belt!! Mother-in-law was warned not to unbuckle the child seat and then did it anyway and THEN denied it!!! grrrrrrrrr!!!!
:3:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I went to Target, in the auto section under their floor mats they have a rubber backed auto carpet mat sized 17"x24". I put that under the car seat length wise, then it hangs over the seat a little, so then their shoes don't rub up against the seat see pics below. Another benefit I see if they spill something it shouldnt' leak thru to the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OMG! I get home to check my post and look at all the replies! Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like there are many options available to me.
michaelp95 - I like your idea with the automats ie makes sense that it could also protect the seat from the kids shoes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
ChewDZ said:
OMG! I get home to check my post and look at all the replies! Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like there are many options available to me.
michaelp95 - I like your idea with the automats ie makes sense that it could also protect the seat from the kids shoes.
Thanks, yours probably wouldn't get so bad since you have leather, since mine are cloth mine have the opportunity to get dirty easier and harder to keep clean.

·
Registered
328 Posts
We just got our Pilot this month, too! Also in love. We, too, were concerned about putting our carseats (boosters, actually - with the new Pilot, we've decided our 5 yo can use a booster!) on the gorgeous leather. We found a thread in this site re: using a mat that you would put under a futon couch to stop it from moving. We had bought some of the grid-like matting from Target (cheap!) a while back and cut out 2 squares and put them under the boosters and it seems to be a cheap and cheerful solution. GOOD LUCK!:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts