Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While putting on the Honda hitch on our Redrock EXL last weekend, I was contemplating a whole series of questions to ask the knowledgeable folks in this forum. Here's the first:

When I registered the vehicle at the local court house, the nice lady handed me a pre-printed envelope to keep my registration and proof of insurance. She said it's not necessary in our state (KS) to have the registration in the vehicle, but in the neighboring state (MO), if you're stopped, it's necessary to be able to produce the registration for the vehicle on the spot.

My wife, who is somewhat paranoid about these matters, is more than a little worried about having ANYTHING in the vehicle that indicates our address. There have been several instances of folks in the metro area who got their car stolen while in a parking lot, and, by the time they had gotten home, their house had been robbed too. The thief uses address information found in the car to determine the house location.

Has anybody every thought about this? My suggestion to my wife was to white-out the address on the registration and make a copy to put in the vehicle. I would be interested in hearing from any law-enforcement personnel, to hear their opinion.

Note: I'm talking about the registration, not the title.

Roger

·
Registered
23 Posts
Keep your house and car keys on separate key rings. The instances of taking a stolen car to rip off a house are related to having the keys together.
Do you keep the key fob on the key ring? This is like having the "address" of the car available to anyone who may procure your keys.

I tend to be a paranoidish person, but I don't worry about it. Cars get stolen, houses get burglarized. If it happens together, well, that's a cruddy day. I would think that car thieves want to get your car to the dock asap without worrying about filling it up with a dvd player and grandma's silver.

My state requires carrying registration papers and proof of insurance. Both have my address on them. I would be wary of altering them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
rkpeck said:

When I registered the vehicle at the local court house, the nice lady handed me a pre-printed envelope to keep my registration and proof of insurance. She said it's not necessary in our state (KS) to have the registration in the vehicle, but in the neighboring state (MO), if you're stopped, it's necessary to be able to produce the registration for the vehicle on the spot. ......
If you have a Kansas driver's license and plates then Missouri can't inforce their registration rule - They have to abide by the rules of your home state.

That said - I keep my registration and insurance cards in my wallet - Not in the car.

JJ

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ditto. My insurance and registration are in my wallet too. :D

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) I keep my registration and proof of insurance locked at the gloved compartment and use the valet key to drive it with the original key with me handy.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
For years I kept the registration and insurance card in the glovebox. For the last 5 years or so, I've kept them in my wallet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but other than having car thieves gain access to one's address, are there other dangers to keeping the registration in the car ?

While I would like to keep the registration in the wallet, problem is that when I transfered the vehicle to CT, I got a large letter size piece of paper as registration and that doesn't quite fit into my wallet. Also, since my wife and I occasionally swap the cars we drive, if we keep the registration in the wallet, we may end up with the wrong registration.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine's in a small nylon back that is velcroed (sp) in a safe spot. You can look right at it, and if you don't know it's there you will never see it.

I don't do this for the reason you mention, I do it so I know where it is (same place in all vehicles except the bikes)!

Also, it doesn't matter what state you're from, your neighbors to the West (Colorado) require registration!!
G.

·
Registered
103 Posts
yolk said:
While I would like to keep the registration in the wallet, problem is that when I transfered the vehicle to CT, I got a large letter size piece of paper as registration and that doesn't quite fit into my wallet. Also, since my wife and I occasionally swap the cars we drive, if we keep the registration in the wallet, we may end up with the wrong registration.
Exactly our situation -- the registration is too large to fit in a wallet and we both drive, so it stays in the Pilot.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Registration is secreted within the vehicle interior. Now, if I can only remember where I hid it. :confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Carrying Registration Onboard

raleighpilot said:

If you have a Kansas driver's license and plates then Missouri can't inforce their registration rule - They have to abide by the rules of your home state.

That said - I keep my registration and insurance cards in my wallet - Not in the car.

JJ
Someone at work mentioned the same thing this morning. I wonder if there is a website that consolidates the rules of the road between states in this manner? I know I've seen consolidated rules regarding seatbelts, headlights during rain, but I don't believe they say anything about required documents to be in your posession.

Roger

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
yolk said:
Pardon my ignorance, but other than having car thieves gain access to one's address, are there other dangers to keeping the registration in the car?...
My cousin left his car unlocked one night and the only thing stollen was the registration and insurance papers (left the CDs). He probably would not have noticed, except the glovebox was open. It would have been a problem if he hadn't noticed and then got pulled over or had a fender-bender.

All drivers in TX are required to carry proof of insurance even if they don't own the car. So the theif is driving around with his old insurance papers - it will be his insurance info they pass to the other driver if the theif ever has a wreck.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Well I had a whole big post typed up and of course when I hit reply the page "The page cannot be displayed" popped up and I lost the entire post. That took me over 30 minutes to type up so I apologize but I don't have the time to do it again. Basically I just wanted to say that you must abide by the State laws that you are currently in, not the law of your home state. Although a police officer will take your home state's law into consideration, not all officers know the law in every state to know whether or not you are fibbing. Second don't leave your registration and insurance in the vehicle. I covered this in another thread, but of course I can't find it now. If someone steals your vehicle, they know who the owner is. When I stop them in the middle of the night and I ask who owns the vehicle, they know. Basically if they tell me prior to them grabbing your registration, then why would I not believe that they know you and you let them borrow it. Sorry for not going more in depth about his, but I'm a little :3: about the time I just wasted on the post that got lost.

·
Registered
234 Posts
FLPilot said:
Well I had a whole big post typed up and of course when I hit reply the page "The page cannot be displayed" popped up and I lost the entire post. That took me over 30 minutes to type up so I apologize but I don't have the time to do it again.
Thanks for the insight in any case FLPilot !

Just a thought on the error message - Sometimes when I get error messages when trying to submit information on web pages, I press the "Go back" button to bring me back to the page where I did my typing. Usually, I would find what I typed there and I would then either try to submit it again or simply copy and paste what I had typed into Word and save it so that I can reuse it again later when the website is more reliable. Haven't tried it on this site, but it might work...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
yolk said:

Just a thought on the error message - Sometimes when I get error messages when trying to submit information on web pages, I press the "Go back" button to bring me back to the page where I did my typing. Usually, I would find what I typed there and I would then either try to submit it again or simply copy and paste what I had typed into Word and save it so that I can reuse it again later when the website is more reliable. Haven't tried it on this site, but it might work...
Yeah, that works sometimes for me, but this time it didn't. It just went back to a blank box, ready for me to type my reply. If that wasn't bad enough I was just posting in another thread (New Streetpilot) and this time I made a copy of the post first. When I hit submit a totally different error message came up. I guess it was an internal error message that said it was gonna let the admin know it messed up or something like that. Anyway, the entire site was locked for a few minutes when I just checked again my post was there so I have no clue. :confused:

Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would place some white tape over the address portion of the questioned documentation then make a photocopy. Keep the photocopy in the glove box and all should be well.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Another data point...

...in Maryland, you can get an extra registration card for $5 at renewal time -- which is what I do so that I can carry one in my wallet and the wife can carry one (a duplicate) in her purse.

Ditto with the insurance card -- one phone call to USAA and they'll send me however many that I need.

Thus, we never have to leave both documents in the vehicles! :) :) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts