Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 EX-L w/o nav but w/RES. I’ve read hundreds of posts about swapping radios for CarPlay but that seems crazy.
I’ve seen someone take the software from a 2017 CR-V and load it onto their 2016 unit to get CarPlay functionality. I’m assuming we can do this!

What I need to test it is simple. usb.honda.com will let you download an update file for your vehicle in the event an over the air update is not an option. To do this you have to provide a file downloaded from your vehicle. The instructions to get it are on the website.

I’m fairly confident that if I can get the 2017 update file I can load it onto my unit and viola, CarPlay will work like it did in the cr-v video. If this works I will outline the process in detail and be happy to share.

I just need someone with the 2017 EX-L w/out navigation AND with the rear entertainment system to get me the appropriate file (through Drive or whatever).

·
Registered
68 Posts
As far as I know 2016 and 2017+ units are physically different (hardware). So i am not sure if you can do this.

I rooted my head unit and used the following device to run carplay:

So far working pretty well for me. But with few flukes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t want something extra to plug-in. The hardware is the same except for the microphone. This has been proven over and over. I’m sure it can be done!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would be great if this is possible! Post something after you get it done

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will. I just need the usb update from the right unit and I’ll try. If I brick it I’ll order another radio!

·
Registered
37 Posts
As far as I know 2016 and 2017+ units are physically different (hardware). So i am not sure if you can do this.

Will this work I’m my 2013 pilot touring with nav to give me apple car play?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,329 Posts
As many of you know, I've been a moderator and admin here for more years than I really care to remember.

I recall clearly the upset at the lack of Carplay on 16s that was written about here. Then no upgrade route when the 17s arrived....

I was contacted by an employee at American Honda (yes I verified the contact person's information) saying they had Carplay all planned out until Apple changed the hardware requirements weeks before the introduction of the vehicle. So they had to fall back on the in house set up.

No if you have a 15 or 16 CRV EX or EXL you can download a carplay hack without problems. I would except I bought the CRV Touring version and its incompatible...... Sometimes having all the toys sucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read too much and now I'm scared to do any of those dongles lol. All the more recent posts say they stopped working, or people are trying it and it's failing. The trouble here I think is that the dongle provider has to update their software any time Apple updates the CarPlay software. Do they do that?

I've ordered a unit from a 2019 that matches my trim. LKQ said it's compatible with my car. I'm skeptical because the 2019 unit is a Panasonic and the 2017 and 2018 units are from Clarion, and the software is different. Lucky for me I'll be able to at least see if the plugs match before tearing my dash out.

I fear I have the rarest 2016 Pilot - EX-L with no nav/with rear entertainment system. Finding a 2017 or 2018 model matching that trim seems like searching for a needle in a haystack.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I read too much and now I'm scared to do any of those dongles lol. All the more recent posts say they stopped working, or people are trying it and it's failing. The trouble here I think is that the dongle provider has to update their software any time Apple updates the CarPlay software. Do they do that?

I've ordered a unit from a 2019 that matches my trim. LKQ said it's compatible with my car. I'm skeptical because the 2019 unit is a Panasonic and the 2017 and 2018 units are from Clarion, and the software is different. Lucky for me I'll be able to at least see if the plugs match before tearing my dash out.

I fear I have the rarest 2016 Pilot - EX-L with no nav/with rear entertainment system. Finding a 2017 or 2018 model matching that trim seems like searching for a needle in a haystack.
You can buy 2017 with Nav it will be compatible. Just don’t buy one out of touring or elite coz they’ll require amplifiers for speakers and sub

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait......you're saying any that will do nav have the hookups for the Rear Entertainment too?!

·
Registered
68 Posts
No I meant that you don’t need to focus on w/ nav or w/o nav - either one will work for you (you may need to add GPS antenna for unit w/nav but this is peanuts).

But you’ll still need the unit from a vehicle with rear entertainment system.

Are you sure your’s don’t have amplifiers? Maybe your system is the same with elite/touring?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It's not. The EX-L has 6 speakers while the elite and touring have 10. I doubt it has amps. Just the rear entertainment (which is DVD and not Bluray).

It seems only 2 radios will work for me then - the same trim from 17, or the same trim from 18....and maaaaybe the same trim from 19 but again...skeptical.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not. The EX-L has 6 speakers while the elite and touring have 10. I doubt it has amps. Just the rear entertainment (which is DVD and not Bluray).

It seems only 2 radios will work for me then - the same trim from 17, or the same trim from 18....and maaaaybe the same trim from 19 but again...skeptical.
Somehow quoted my response...still learning this forum.

·
Registered
223 Posts

how did you root the head unit? I have 16 touring but I assume the process would be the same. I bought the carlinkit also but cannot install the apk.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts