Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

CarPlay & Android Auto Dongle

232K views 402 replies 107 participants last post by  nir360 
#1 ·
#6 ·
It's a good option if you want Carplay. Android Auto can be had for about $7.50 but either option will require root and "hacking" of some sort. This dongle device was intended for Android based aftermarket head units in my opinion but it still can work for us!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Hi everyone

I just got the device today (It took it a lot to get through customs). I had little time to play with it, but IT WORKS! at least the CarPlay part. I don't have an android device so I can not tell. I could not play a lot with it, so I'm not sure if everything works as it should.

As far as I've tested:
Music apps work and sound is great (Tune in radio, Podcast, Music, Amazon Music).

Maps works, but I had no voice coming from the speakers to get driving prompts.

I had not chance to test Siri or phone calls.

Getting it to work is fairy easy after you have the head unit rooted as shown here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-how-to-gain-root-shell-2016-honda-t3487644

After you had the unit rooted install the APK provided on the head unit and then plug the device in the left usb by the 12V socket and connect the iPhone to the usb on the device using a lighting cable. It doesn't seem to work with on the right one.

So far it seems I got CarPlay on my 2016 Pilot for 50$ instead of changing the head unit.
I hope this helps to somebody trying to avoid the hassle of swapping the head unit

#19 ·
JonBaker00 You have to open the app you have to install (AutoPlay Box) and it connects to the activates CarPlay as shown on this video (If I have time I'll try to do one on the Pilot tonight).

The device shows up as a car on the iPhone CarPlay Settings so you can remove apps or change where they are displayed. (See screenshots from my phone attached)

I hope I've clarified some things for you.

Attachments

#22 ·
CarPlay will show on the language you have on your IPhone.

I did some more testing. CarPlay through this device seems a little unstable.
A couple times sound did not come out from the speakers. Pressing Siri button on the wheel closes the app and you have to unplug and insert the usb dongle to get it to work again. Anything related with Siri seems really buggy. Wheel buttons don’t work when this CarPlay is working.

I’ll do some more testing and I’ll let you know

#23 ·
Some Updates:
Audio works fine if you disable music streaming on the bluetooth settings of the car. This seems to help Siri a little bit, but it is somehow a little buggy.
Some of the wheel keys work, you can still change input or volume.
Maps with directions works perfectly

I've attached a picture and a video so you can see it working. Interface seems slow because I was using the same iPhone to record the video. Under normal use is quite fluid.
https://youtu.be/d-ql1Q4eyog

Attachments

#28 ·
It has bugs, so you should not expect it to work flawlessly. The dongle or the app crashes randomly and you have to reopen the app or unplug and plug the dongle on the usb to get it to work again. So if you're looking for a seamless experience you may need to hold on until it works a little better (if it gets to that point). After I rooted the unit everything is working as it should. when you press Siri button on the wheel it does not open Siri on the CarPlay interface. It goes back to the honda side and then the app crashes. Anything that is related with Siri does not work as it should because you get kicked out of the app.

Do you have to root your car head unit to get this to work?
Yes, the head-unit needs to be rooted to install the App that makes this work.

It seems a new firmware and app came out a couple days ago. I had not chance to test it yet, but I'll report if improves the experience.

#29 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

So I've played with the new firmware and software. I can only say it is a HUGE improvement! Everything I've tried other than the Siri button on the wheel works perfectly. No more problems with bluetooth and keys on the wheel work to change songs. The only issue with the Siri button is that it calls Siri on the car instead the one on CarPlay.

As I said, it works perfectly now, app crashes seem to be gone. New app even has an option to update software over internet! I've another car with native CarPlay and it works faster on the Pilot! Definitely it is 99% perfect now.

#34 ·
Is it possible to put an updated link to the Dongle in as a reply? The older link redirects to a deleted item. Thank you! Gonna explore this route instead of the head unit as well. Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you follow the link on eBay? Seller has no current listing for item. If you find one, please post.

#35 ·
Okay, I do tech support for a software company during the day, and don’t want to see a computer when I get home.. ;). I’ll try to contact the seller through Ebay and see what he might be able to help with. Get it posted as soon as I find out some updated info!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 ·
arkzrlo and all

I've been following this post religiously over the past few months, as I have a 2016 Pilot EXL AWD, with the standard display (no NAVI). I have both an iPhone and found a cheapo Android, and have been trying to get the Android to work with CarPlay/Android Auto. I can't seem to get the CarPlay and Android Auto to work with the Android phone at all! I have also purchased a dongle - https://is.gd/GJQYjP - which is due to arrive in a week or two. But, I am also anxious to see what the new iOS 12 will bring to the iPhone with their announced interaction with CarPlay.

Question for you please. Is there any way you can present a step by step process in getting the Android Auto/CarPlay to display on the screen? I connect the phone to the USB port, and it doesn't seem to initiate the Android Auto at all. I read your last reply/post to grohamns anddownloaded the apk that you provided, in preparation prior to receiving the dongle.

I've not had too much luck in getting this set. I would greatly appreciate any assistance that you can provide; the Honda dealer hasn't been much help in assisting me, as they want to charge me for doing ANYTHING. I can pick up my wifi from the house, as the car is in the carport right next to my wifi signal (however, when I start the browser, it always comes up to a Google message that states that the page cannot be displayed message and no longer valid, which indicates to me that there is a homepage that has changed - and I can't seem to set a new 'homepage'), and would also like to get that fixed s well. I can also use my iPhone as a hotspot when not in range of wifi. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can either reply here to benefit others, or, can private email me at gr8campn@frontier.com if you have any questions that may pertain to getting set up.

I sincerely appreciate anyone's help in this matter - written instructions would be received with open arms!

Thank you!