Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

CarPlay & Android Auto Dongle

232K views 402 replies 107 participants last post by  nir360 
#1 ·
#86 ·
Update 7/7/2018

No go on the Gasbuddy apk - I downloaded and tried installing 6 or 8 different versions, and kept coming up with a message at the end of the oneclickinstall bat that there was a missing shared library, so didn't want to go any further.

If anyone wants to contribute to the reason I get that error message, please do.

Thanks in advance!

#89 ·
Thanks to @arkzrlo I’ve got HondaHack v3.7.1 installed on my 2016 Pilot headunit. I did so using the OneClickRoot script. I updated the AutoPlay apk to the latest version using the HondaHack install app function. I paid the fee to get the Pro version of HondaHack to unlock some of the features, namely the “Click OK on startup warning screen”, it works great.

I also installed some of the apps that come prepopulated by the HondaHack installer, some observations:

- Google Maps + account services: Super slow and laggy. Takes forever to render maps and to start navigation, and more often than not the app hangs. Not a useable Navigation alternative in my opinion. Hopefully this changes when its added to Carplay in iOS12

- Waze: much more responsive and useable than GMaps. One gripe: steering wheel controls. I have the controls enabled in HondaHack, do I need to remap them at all to make it work? Anyone have Waze and audio steering wheel controls working? I set Waze to output audio over speaker so that I can keep audio set to XM radio and still get the voice prompts, works well.

- Haven’t tried to install a video player to see if the brake bypass feature works

#90 ·
To be completely honest I didn't do anything special, they started to work out of the blue and I have no clue why
Bluetooth is ON on the head unit, but NOT connected to the phone at all (if that makes any difference)
What version of iOS are you using? I'm on IOS12 public beta.

#96 ·
When you are in the command prompt in the correct folder, running as administrator, are you typing in OneClickInstall.bat

I see on the one line that it appears that you are typing in OneClickInstall.sh or something similar, which is incorrect. Has to be OneClickInstall.bat

Also, make sure that you are in the proper folder that contains the OneClickInstall.bat command line.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#98 ·
I’d you get the address of the Black Box from the Pilot? It should be a number where it looks similar to this: 10.0.0.13 (if you go to the settings on the WiFi, I believe that it is the last item down, and it will show this on the screen.

Also, make sure that you’re connected to the same wifi network as your computer in the house - go to the WiFi and connect to it, selecting from the screen.

If you still need help, send me a private email to gr8campn@frontier.com and maybe include your phone number so that I can call you. If you’re at home, let me know that as I do have a way to assist you remotely.

Thanks! Good Luck!

#103 ·
I've uploaded a latest repacked apk (20180718) to the dropbox folder

Older software is inside "old" folder.

@yankeejatt try using the carplay.apk inside the folder above. If it does not work, check for duplicates in your whitelist.xml

Is this a newer version than your previously repacked apk? Just took the plunge with my HU (with your help!) and want to start off with the best experience!

#113 · (Edited)
#120 ·
Which .apk is the best one to install first after making a backup of the factory reset sh file?

Hondahack? Then you can install the rest of the apk files from a USB?

If you’re planning on buying HondaHack, start there. Connect the car to WiFi, follow the instructions on the website and then you’ll have HondaHack installed. Then it’s easy to add the AutoPlay.apk and voila...

#121 ·
Can I get some feedback from anyone who has purchased the HondaHack PRO version please? Would it be worth the $25 dollars, and what advantages has one found to enhance the head unit? Can you install 'newer' apps (apk's) on the head unit using that?

Or, should I just stick with the HondaHack basic, which I did use to add Waze and Google Maps to my unit, and that's about all that I could get to install using the free version. Any input as to what you have found that enhances the use of the head unit browser?

Thank you! Appreciate any feedback that you can provide, pros and cons!!!

#125 · (Edited)
I upgraded to the Pro Version of HondaHack. Biggest feature (for me at least) is the automated 'Press OK' on startup warning screen. I hated that. For me that was worth the $25 alone! Other features that I can see are the memory cleaner, enable steering wheel control and key remapping. As for installing apps, there's a list of pre-picked apps like Waze, Google Maps, Sygic, Spotify, MXPlayer, NewPipe (a YouTube front-end app) to choose from. Can't think of anything else...

#122 ·
So I just got this today, and thanks to arkzlo, updated the box and app to the latest versions.

I am running Android Auto (AA) on a Pixel 2 XL with the Android P beta. Here are my findings; any help would be appreciated

1) The top part of the AA interface, which includes the search box for nav apps, is cut off by the Honda HU's black nav bar. Any way to force resolution for the app?

2) I disconnected the phone from bluetooth and kept the audio source as Audio Apps. Then, making calls from AA, AA would report that Bluetooth was not connected and all audio would come from the phone. So then, I connected the phone to bluetooth for phone calls only (without media). This does work, except that you are kicked out of the AA interface plus you have to transfer the call to to the headunit every time since the car thinks the call was initiated .

3) I didnt have volume control or previous next functions from the steering wheel. Should I need to remap controls in HondaHack for this?

Still playing around with the app and settings.

Thanks

#123 ·
Update:

1. So the weird resolution went away the next time I started the car

2. The phone only bluetooth connection has become very unreliable. I will delete the phone and HU bluetooth devices and see if it becomes better.

3. Remapping controls in Hondahack gives steering control over AA

#127 ·
If you have a non-Navigation Pilot, does the HondaHack utilize your phone for GPS? I am so sick of CarPlay issues that I am really considering buying HondaHack Pro for Waze and just using Bluetooth for music and podcasts. Any insight is appreciated. I have a 2017 Pilot EX-L w/o Nav.

Thanks

#131 · (Edited)
This refers to being able to play video on the screen with the car in Drive mode. However, this only works with 3rd-party apps (eg. Netflix, YouTube) and NOT when playing videos using the stock Web Browser app. Also note that this setting does not appear in HondaHack on the Pilot. According to the guy who runs/sells HondaHack, "The bypass parking brake restriction feature only affects the apps installed by yourself. Pilot does not need this feature because app display is controlled by an internal white list file."

I've tried it and it works well. This is not related to using navi apps like Waze while driving, you can always enter destinations while driving.

#130 ·
Is there way to listen to radio while using google maps thru AA. If I put maps on i don't get the sound

Also if I play music using google music it keep stopping after 2 seconds. I've ordered HondaHack Pro (haven't got the code yet). Is there feature that I can use to help

Thanks in advance