Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

141 - 160 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Thanks, arkzrlo for the file and for making it v8 - easier to tell the difference between versions when installing! How / where are you getting the APK to repack it?
I installed the Autoplaybox app using an Android virtual machine and then I captured the traffic going to internet from that app while it was updating.

So I found the server used for the updates: https://bit.ly/2B5TLXo
The updates are in the folders having the date as name. The files in the other subfolders inside are for testing and they usually don't work with the dongle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Morning, arkzrlo!

Thanks for all you're doing with the dongle, it is greatly appreciated by all.

Quick question, if you can. I had already purchased this dongle ( https://is.gd/GJQYjP ) and done the basic HondaHack, but then I went ahead and purchased the HondaHack Pro, which I am very pleased with. However, can you tell me whether the AutoPlay that possibly installs with the Pro would be the newer version, or is it the one which installed with the dongle? When I purchased the dongle, it installs a program for the AutoPlay, and there is a link on the website for a newer version (dtd 2017-12-17 for this version -
AutoPlayBox_2017-12-27_Firmware_Update.img on this link: https://is.gd/tYz9FU

However, your post just prior to this lists a webpage with all the available downloads:
Index of /download/2018-08-06

AutoPlayBox.apk

Would this be compatible with my system to update the head unit? I would THINK that with the same file name, it would be an update to the initial file installed by the dongle. Since I'm more of a Windows person (I made it through the HondaHack fine, though), I just want to check to make sure, and not mess anything up.

Any suggestions or input, please?

Appreciate your time, knowledge, and expertise!!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've just installed HondaHack Pro using their website - I have the CarPlay.apk on a usb and when I select to install it via usb method with HondaHack I get a warning not to install apps that require root. It shows AutoPlay (version 8). Am I okay to install this via usb? I have not manually rooted the car with OneClick yet. I'm not sure if HondaHack roots it automatically for me or not. I do have the white dongle here too. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
tried to install carplay.apk with oneclick and get this:

C:\hondahack\OneClick>OneClickInstall.bat 192.168.1.9 carplay.apk

C:\hondahack\OneClick>.\bin\bash.exe .\OneClickInstall.sh 192.168.1.9

carplay.ap
k
Usage: ./OneClickInstall.sh ipaddress My.apk
Example: ./OneClickInstall.sh 192.168.1.100 Waze.apk
Disconnecting other adb devices\n
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

Connecting to 192.168.1.9\n
unable to connect to 192.168.1.9:5555
Checking for root...
error: device '(null)' not found
No root yet, addressing the situation
Attempting to push payloads to /data/local/tmp/rootme\n
Exploiting dirtycow to replace factory_reset.sh with our own\n
Okay - should be all set, initiate factory reset and hope for the best!
Go to Home ->Settings->System->Factory Data Reset (scroll all the way

down) and
ititiate factory reset, press enter when unit has rebooted & reconnected

to WiFi

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've just installed HondaHack Pro using their website - I have the CarPlay.apk on a usb and when I select to install it via usb method with HondaHack I get a warning not to install apps that require root. It shows AutoPlay (version 8). Am I okay to install this via usb? I have not manually rooted the car with OneClick yet. I'm not sure if HondaHack roots it automatically for me or not. I do have the white dongle here too. Thanks for the help.
bump on this - anyone?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Okay I have carplay (autobox.apk) installed via usb method with hondahack. Can anyone post the best location to download (or pm for email) me a copy of their working waze.apk? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure hondahack is what I need to use the volume controls on the steering wheel although I had no volume just now when I tried to play a music file through the music app using carplay. I'll have to figure this all out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
toolazyforalogin-

I've got a 2016 Honda Pilot EXL and this is the Waze that works on mine - https://goo.gl/MohT29 - shrunk the URL too long.

You'll need to install is with the basic HondaHack. Works for me!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
toolazyforalogin-

I've got a 2016 Honda Pilot EXL and this is the Waze that works on mine - https://goo.gl/MohT29 - shrunk the URL too long.

You'll need to install is with the basic HondaHack. Works for me!

Good luck!

Thanks gr8campr - link takes me to: Waze - GPS, Maps, Traffic Alerts & Live Navigation 4.2.0.1 (Android 4.0+).

I will give it a shot when my kids go to sleep. Did you get your steering wheel volume controls working with Hondahack as well?

I read that I have to set the connect bluetooth on the Pilot to phone only (not music) and set the waze audio out to phone speaker (not bluetooth) although I'm not sure if these are related to using the waze.apk via the headunit or not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Actually, I'm toolazyforalogin- on the volume controls. That's just me, either I reach over and turn volume up, or have the Pilot copilot do it. I don't listen to radio much, less than 1% of driving time. I only have a 10 minute commute to work, and only time I'll listen is if copilot naps. We'll see on our upcoming vacation trip.

Also, wanted to let you know that I CAREFULLY took some wire ties and packaged up my dongle with a 1 foot USB cable, then bought a 90° USB adapter which pointed ty he cable down, and then into the USB plugin on the dash. Then took some HD Velcro and mounted the dongle to the right side of that storage space directly above the 2 USB points in the dash. That way it's not flopping, nor does it get in the way of my coffee cup in the forward cup holder.

Then, I found some computer cable 'dots' with openings on 2 sides used for routing computer cables like Ethernet and/or USB cables. Package of 4 does runs about $8 at Rite-Aid in the computer wiring section. Put 3 of them between the gear shift and cup holders. Along the center and use them when we're driving. Keeps the wires out of the way.

One last thing... Since I have an iPhone 6S with an Anker battery pack case, the case has a micro USB connector on the case (not the lightning connector) under where the home key is. Problem is that the shorter part of the adapter is pointing toward the back of the case, and hard to focus when trying to connect the cable to the phone. So, I took some contrasting color paint (cable is black, so used silver) and painted to side facing up silver, so I don't have to fidget trying to insert it, just screen facing up, silver up. Think I've got two 3 or 4 foot USB cables, one black for my iPhone, and a red one for the wife's

·
Registered
84 Posts
Forgot to mention that the dongle works fine with that setup, doesn't recognize the difference in the Car play/Autoplay!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
CarPlay & Android Auto Dongle

Thanks for those pictures. My dongle is white and has a small box attached to it and I figure I'll do something similar with a little velcro above the usb ports but not until I figure out how to get this popup to disappear about opening AutoPlay when the USB device is connected. I checked the use by default for this USB device and clicked okay but it seems to keep coming back every time I start the car with the dongle connected to the usb (even without a phone plugged in - see picture attached below). I was able to get the waze.apk installed - thanks for that link. I have the hondahack pro installed and although it says steering wheels controls should work I haven't figured out how to get them to work yet. I tried to free memory but remapping of the volume controls are still grayed out.

I was testing in my garage connected to wifi so waze found a location right away. When I left the house it lost connection and it took me a minute to realize I needed to turn on my hotspot and connect to it. I wasn't sure if the wire being connected to my phone with the dongle should make it use my cell phone connection or not without needed to tether to my hotspot on my cell phone. Thoughts?

Also at first it wasn't playing any audio and then I realized I needed to switch audio control source to either ipod or bluetooth or audio apps.

Edit: After installing the Volume Control Widget by Serkun and I believe that I can hear waze with any audio source playing. I did not need to have the audio source set to audio apps.

Thanks for the help as I work through this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@toolazy4alogin
For steering wheel to work open Honda Hack app. Navigate to "Steering wheel controls and key mapping" -> "Enable steering wheel media controls" and ensure it is on. The white dongle works really well. The only thing left is the popup message for USB device; I have not seen anyone who can provide a fix...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
@toolazy4alogin

For steering wheel to work open Honda Hack app. Navigate to "Steering wheel controls and key mapping" -> "Enable steering wheel media controls" and ensure it is on. The white dongle works really well. The only thing left is the popup message for USB device; I have not seen anyone who can provide a fix...

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve tried that with the steering wheel controls. They’re both set to on. See pic below as you can see there both on and yet greyed our below.

lol

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
As per email from codeage it’s greyed out because it’s not supported. I give codeage much respect for his prompt replies but my steering wheel still does not control volume or next track playback. I’ll keep tinkering.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Do GPS apps like Waze work on non NAV equipped head units with HondaHack, if tethered to an iPhone?
Yes it will work on non-NAV - I just have not figured out if it needs to be connected via usb and the dongle, tethered via hotspot on your cell phone, either one or the other, or both. I'm also looking to confirm that when connected via bluetooth you should only select phone and NOT music. I'm not sure what happens if you choose both - do you lose functionality?

That's weird... It works for me perfectly both volume and next/prev controls. They are to control the apps (e.g. Spotify, Pandora) on the phone; not the apps in HU. I believe it works for arkzrlo as well he mentioned at the post 85 from https://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-pilot/152074-carplay-android-auto-dongle-6.html.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what exactly steering wheel controls means. You're able to change tracks / volume when playing music through the stock music app using AutoBox (carplay) right? I haven't tried Pandora or Spotify yet. I know there's no volume control for WAZE unless you install the Volume Control Widget by Serkun and change the volume through there.

141 - 160 of 340 Posts