·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi arkzrlo,
Thanks a lot; I was able to install successfully. Apple CarPlay runs pretty smooth as you mentioned before. For those who want to buy one from Ebay - search "CarPlay usb dongle" and the first one from the seller - supershopping01. It works.

·
Registered
84 Posts
arkzrlo and all

I've been following this post religiously over the past few months, as I have a 2016 Pilot EXL AWD, with the standard display (no NAVI). I have both an iPhone and found a cheapo Android, and have been trying to get the Android to work with CarPlay/Android Auto. I can't seem to get the CarPlay and Android Auto to work with the Android phone at all! I have also purchased a dongle - https://is.gd/GJQYjP - which is due to arrive in a week or two. But, I am also anxious to see what the new iOS 12 will bring to the iPhone with their announced interaction with CarPlay.

Question for you please. Is there any way you can present a step by step process in getting the Android Auto/CarPlay to display on the screen? I connect the phone to the USB port, and it doesn't seem to initiate the Android Auto at all. I read your last reply/post to grohamns anddownloaded the apk that you provided, in preparation prior to receiving the dongle.

I've not had too much luck in getting this set. I would greatly appreciate any assistance that you can provide; the Honda dealer hasn't been much help in assisting me, as they want to charge me for doing ANYTHING. I can pick up my wifi from the house, as the car is in the carport right next to my wifi signal (however, when I start the browser, it always comes up to a Google message that states that the page cannot be displayed message and no longer valid, which indicates to me that there is a homepage that has changed - and I can't seem to set a new 'homepage'), and would also like to get that fixed s well. I can also use my iPhone as a hotspot when not in range of wifi. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can either reply here to benefit others, or, can private email me at [email protected] if you have any questions that may pertain to getting set up.

I sincerely appreciate anyone's help in this matter - written instructions would be received with open arms!

Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
settings in whitelist.xml

Hi arkzrlo,
What is your <withAudio></withAudio> and <revert></revert>settings in whitelist.xml? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rooted? Please, not sure what you mean.

Thank you profoundly in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi gr8campr,
Ok, that made sense... Pilot 2016 Head Unit does not support Apple CarPlay/Android Auto out of box; it does not have the supporting software embedded in the Head Unit. [Therefore, plug in iPhone, Android phones or use any dongles will not make CarPlay/Android Auto work.] However, it's not like you can install the software in the Head Unit either - because Honda locked down the Head Unit and will not allow you to install any software. But thanks to jersacct [who is the OP from XDA website search "How to gain root shell on 2016 Honda Pilot (and now install apps!!!)"], who created the script so that the Head Unit can be allowed to install the software (the process in Android world is called root and iOS is called jail-break.). Once your Head Unit is rooted - then you can install the software (in Android the software has .apk extension).

For some people they installed Waze apk so that they can open waze directly from Head Unit for navigation purpose and some people installed Spotify apk so they can open directly from Head Unit to listen to music. [Head Unit now is like a tablet so you don't need your phone anymore. But Head Unit still needs to have wifi from a hotspot to provide data.]

Same idea - you got to have something in the Head Unit for the dongle to work. In this case this apk's (the one I asked from arkzrlo) purpose is to provide the communication between Head Unit and dongle. Once this apk is installed successfully, only then can the dongle communicate to Head Unit successfully. Only after communication is successful - then iPhone or an Android phone can be plugged into the dongle to bring up the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto in the Head Unit. [In a way - the dongle itself also acts as like a communication between the phone and the Head Unit, but it is more like a hardware instead of software.]

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
CarPlay &amp; Android Auto Dongle

All right, getting something for my brain to grasp now!

Now, do I have to root the unit before getting the dongle, or can I install the dongle apk (head unit not rooted) when I get the dongle?

Oh, and as an afterthought, could you please link me to jersacct’s post as I’m right now working off iPhone and iPad for a bit. And did you root yours as well? I’m a Windows OS person myself, and this Android stuff is new to me. And, I’ve never jail broken any of my iPhones!

Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
All right, getting something for my brain to grasp now!

Now, do I have to root the unit before getting the dongle, or can I install the dongle apk (head unit not rooted) when I get the dongle?

Oh, and as an afterthought, could you please link me to jersacct’s post as I’m right now working off iPhone and iPad for a bit. And did you root yours as well? I’m a Windows OS person myself, and this Android stuff is new to me. And, I’ve never jail broken any of my iPhones!

Thank you!

The bottom line is that before you can use the dongle the apk needs to be installed successfully already, and to install apk; Head Unit needs to be rooted first. His script is to install the apk, but it will check if the Head Unit is rooted or not. If it is not rooted yet, it will root it first and then install the apk.

I just registered and cannot post links in the forum. But go to XDA website xda-developers.com and then search for "Root Pilot 2016"; you will not miss it. Mine is rooted by using his script. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi arkzrlo,
What is your <withAudio></withAudio> and <revert></revert>settings in whitelist.xml? Thanks.
Also, I noticed an issue that when playing any music app via bluetooth, I was not able to hear the voice guide from Apple Maps. The reason I think it is because it has to use Audio App from Pilot. But if I switched to Audio App, I could hear the voice guide but any music apps would play a few seconds and then stop. The only way to fix this is to remove the phone from Pilot's bluetooth list. Can you please share what settings you use? Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Also, I noticed an issue that when playing any music app via bluetooth, I was not able to hear the voice guide from Apple Maps. The reason I think it is because it has to use Audio App from Pilot. But if I switched to Audio App, I could hear the voice guide but any music apps would play a few seconds and then stop. The only way to fix this is to remove the phone from Pilot's bluetooth list. Can you please share what settings you use? Thanks
I used hondahack to install the app so I didn't modify the whitelist.xml. This is the config that hondahack made on my whitelist.xml

<controlData>
<withAudio>without</withAudio>
<audioStreamType>STREAM_ADA_GUIDE</audioStreamType>
<regulation>null</regulation>
<revert>no</revert>
</controlData>

I have audio input from audio apps and I've ended disconnecting the bluetooth on my phone. Phone calls come through CarPlay anyway and all the music apps I use have a CarPlay app, so I didn't have the necessity of using the bluetooth to stream anything to my car. Hope this helps you

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used hondahack to install the app so I didn't modify the whitelist.xml. This is the config that hondahack made on my whitelist.xml

<controlData>
<withAudio>without</withAudio>
<audioStreamType>STREAM_ADA_GUIDE</audioStreamType>
<regulation>null</regulation>
<revert>no</revert>
</controlData>

I have audio input from audio apps and I've ended disconnecting the bluetooth on my phone. Phone calls come through CarPlay anyway and all the music apps I use have a CarPlay app, so I didn't have the necessity of using the bluetooth to stream anything to my car. Hope this helps you
Thanks. That means the Prev and Next on steering will not work then since the source is in Audio App?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks. That means the Prev and Next on steering will not work then since the source is in Audio App?
Unfortunately your are correct. Prev and Next buttons on the steering don't work if you turn off the bluetooth, but I rather hear Siri and Maps directions than using those buttons.

PS: Remember that Waze will be coming to CarPlay next Autumn with IOS 12 making CarPlay way more useful.

·
Registered
84 Posts
arkzrlo-

I was a bit busy yesterday with another project, and will finish that up today. Trying to get all my eggs in one basket BEFORE I attempt this, and have another question:

Okay, reviewed the XDA article. My question is, which of the 3 USB ports do you put the USB drive with the files into to do the 'dirty'? There are the 2 USB ports in the dash under the display (right and left facing the USB ports), and the one in the center console between the seats. I've read different things about which port does what, and how to change the display background using the one in the center console. Which one is the one that one uses to proceed?

Thank you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
arkzrlo-

I was a bit busy yesterday with another project, and will finish that up today. Trying to get all my eggs in one basket BEFORE I attempt this, and have another question:

Okay, reviewed the XDA article. My question is, which of the 3 USB ports do you put the USB drive with the files into to do the 'dirty'? There are the 2 USB ports in the dash under the display (right and left facing the USB ports), and the one in the center console between the seats. I've read different things about which port does what, and how to change the display background using the one in the center console. Which one is the one that one uses to proceed?

Thank you!

gr8campr

I would recommend you follow "Super Comprehensive Guide to Hacking your Honda" on post #404 on XDA here https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-how-to-gain-root-shell-2016-honda-t3487644/post71331595#post71331595

it should provide all the information you need to root your Pilot. No usb is involved on rooting the unit. If you install the Autobox apk using oneclick script you don't need a usb either. CarPlay dongle needs to be attached to the left usb once you have the apk installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Android Auto and Car play on Honda pilot 2016 (SUCCESSFUL)

To make things little easy for you guys. I uploaded all the files needed for rooting Honda Pilot 2016 in the following location.

FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR WINDOWS MACHINE

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wDUx9Qv3dLkRrfKgWijAk1ygGONlNnts?usp=sharing
1. Download files from above location and extract oneclick zip files.
2. Make sure you have Java1.8 on your machine and set it to 1.8 version if you have multiple versions. If not install using the exe in above link
3. Make sure Honda Pilot and Laptop connected to SAME wi-fi network (or Mobile hotspot)
4. Connect your laptop to Honda pilot USB (1.5v USB preferred)
5. Go to settings on Honda pilot and select Wi-fi/bluetooth tab and make a note of IP address.
6. Open command prompt in laptop in ADMIN MODE and Change the path to extracted folder (SEE STEP#1)
for example: cd C:\Users\XYZ\Downloads\OneClick_Pilot
7. MAKE SURE java 1.8 is installed and default otherwise don't proceed to next step else it will be mess to cleanup whitelist file
use: "java -version" without quotes command to see version
8. the type "OneClickInstall.bat [YourHeadUnitIP] AutoPlayBox.apk"
[YourHeadUnitIP] replace that with actual IP address whatever displayed on your headunit (STEP#4)

wait for sometime as it roots your headunit and installed autoplaybox. If everything is successful then you should see new app under APPs in head unit.

9. Buy the device from ebay search for "12V USB Carplay Dongle For Apple Android iPhone Car Auto Music Navigation Player"
10. Then connect it to left USB port (1.5v USB PORT ONLY) and connect your phone
11. Open the App on Honda pilot
12. make sure you have Android Auto/IOS car play on your phone
13. you should see auto pilot screen with maps/music/phone when you unlock screen.

GOOD LUCK.....let me know

IMPORTANT: If you don't get any audio for Android auto or Car play after connecting your device make sure Audio source is changed to "APPS" instead of Bluetooth. Also when connecting your phone to Honda using Bluetooth select only "PHONE" (don't select MUSIC. you can remove this when you go to bluetooth devices list and selecting your phone ) so that when you play songs from Music app inside android auto it won't pause automatically.

ENJOY......
I have no issues so far and navigation (both Maps and Waze) and Music (google play music) are smooth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To make things little easy for you guys. I uploaded all the files needed for rooting Honda Pilot 2016 and installing app in the following location.

FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR WINDOWS MACHINE

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wDUx9Qv3dLkRrfKgWijAk1ygGONlNnts?usp=sharing

1. Download files from above location and extract oneclick zip files.
2. Make sure you have Java1.8 on your machine and set it to 1.8 version if you have multiple versions. If not install using the exe in above link
3. Make sure Honda Pilot and Laptop connected to SAME wi-fi network (or Mobile hotspot)
4. Connect your laptop to Honda pilot USB (1.5v USB preferred)
5. Go to settings on Honda pilot and select Wi-fi/bluetooth tab and make a note of IP address.
6. Open command prompt in laptop in ADMIN MODE and Change the path to extracted folder (SEE STEP#1)
for example: cd C:\Users\XYZ\Downloads\OneClick_Pilot
7. MAKE SURE java 1.8 is installed and default otherwise don't proceed to next step else it will be mess to cleanup whitelist file
use: "java -version" without quotes command to see version
8. the type "OneClickInstall.bat [YourHeadUnitIP] AutoPlayBox.apk"
[YourHeadUnitIP] replace that with actual IP address whatever displayed on your headunit (STEP#4)

wait for sometime as it roots your headunit and installed autoplaybox. If everything is successful then you should see new app under APPs in head unit.

9. Buy the device from ebay search for "12V USB Carplay Dongle For Apple Android iPhone Car Auto Music Navigation Player"
10. Then connect it to left USB port (1.5v USB PORT ONLY) and connect your phone
11. Open the App on Honda pilot
12. make sure you have Android Auto/IOS car play on your phone
13. you should see auto pilot screen with maps/music/phone when you unlock screen.

GOOD LUCK.....let me know

IMPORTANT: If you don't get any audio for Android auto or Car play after connecting your device make sure Audio source is changed to "APPS" instead of Bluetooth. Also when connecting your phone to Honda using Bluetooth select only "PHONE" (don't select MUSIC. you can remove this when you go to bluetooth devices list and selecting your phone ) so that when you play songs from Music app inside android auto it won't pause automatically.

ENJOY......
I have no issues so far and navigation (both Maps and Waze) and Music (google play music) are smooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
arkzrlo-

Success! Or so it says on the command prompt screen (and I do have a functional Waze under apps). Got my first project that I started yesterday completed, then needed a nap since my body went without one past 2 days. Got up, read the instructions on line, printed out the instructions, downloaded the files, re-read the instructions two more times, took a deep breath, then committed myself to the task. Only glitch was that the first link to the Waze app was 0 bytes and it didn’t complete, scared me, but then downloaded another and went through as per the screenshots and info on the web page. Sitting down for dinner right now, but I’ll put the link to the Waze apk in my next post. I may just st put that stuff together into a zip file, and post for all.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it immensely!

Sincerely!

Gr8campr

·
Registered
9 Posts
Android Auto and Car play on Honda pilot 2016 (SUCCESSFUL)

I added files in zip file (google drive) and step by step instructions and trouble shooting guide but my post is pending for more than 24 hours for approval. meanwhile you can look at following post for instructions

piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-pilot/121026-2017-honda-pilot-headunit-black-box-2016-pilot-19.html#post1564283

Attachments

41 - 60 of 340 Posts
About this Discussion
339 Replies
77 Participants
nir360
Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
Piloteers.org forum community offers tech info, troubleshooting, modification DIY’s and discussion for the Honda Pilot SUV.
Full Forum Listing