Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

181 - 200 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
iPhone X, upgraded to iOS12. CarPlay works after the update and Google Maps works too but somehow i do not have sound for turn by turn navigation on Google Maps.
Maybe the settings in Goolge maps is set to mute? On the top search bar, there are 3 parallel lines. Click on that and it will bring up a settings list. At the top right there is a gear icon. Click on that and then click on navigation. Make sure unmuted is checked. FWIW, I have my guidance volume set to louder and play voice over bluetooth is activated.
Of course you should also turn your radio volume up :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Took the plunge ... upgraded to iOS12, CarPlay still works and now with Google Maps! Turn-by-turn audio works too. Didn't do anything to make that happen, just set the audio source to Audio Apps on the HU and turned Bluetooth off on my phone to make audio go through cable/AutoPlay. The Google Maps UI on CarPlay is nice and fast ... now we just need Waze on CarPlay and we'll be set!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Okay, upgraded to iOS 12, no CarPlay; forgot that 2016 Pilots don't have it. BUT, I have both the dongle and the Honda Hack Pro.

Has anyone upgraded their Honda Hack Pro to the latest version, and if so, how did you do it? Do you have to uninstall the current version, then do the update? Or, will the update overwrite and update the older version already installed on the head unit?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Okay, upgraded to iOS 12, no CarPlay; forgot that 2016 Pilots don't have it. BUT, I have both the dongle and the Honda Hack Pro.

Has anyone upgraded their Honda Hack Pro to the latest version, and if so, how did you do it? Do you have to uninstall the current version, then do the update? Or, will the update overwrite and update the older version already installed on the head unit?

Thanks in advance!

FYI, I just contacted the Honda Hack person who has coded the Honda Hack Pro, and he replied to me that he is working on an update, but it is not available for the 2016 Honda Pilot as of this date. He stated that anyone who has purchased the Honda Hack Pro "After the new version is released, you will receive a notification when you starting Honda Hack".

So, I guess he'll send out a notification that will pop up on the head unit.

Just keeping everyone up-to-date.

·
Registered
17 Posts
FYI, I just contacted the Honda Hack person who has coded the Honda Hack Pro, and he replied to me that he is working on an update, but it is not available for the 2016 Honda Pilot as of this date. He stated that anyone who has purchased the Honda Hack Pro "After the new version is released, you will receive a notification when you starting Honda Hack".

So, I guess he'll send out a notification that will pop up on the head unit.

Just keeping everyone up-to-date.

Something’s not right here... Arkzrlo has a 2016 using the dongle and CarPlay is working with iOS12. Arkzrlo - did you use HondaHack or the original exploit to root your head unit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Something’s not right here... Arkzrlo has a 2016 using the dongle and CarPlay is working with iOS12. Arkzrlo - did you use HondaHack or the original exploit to root your head unit?

mtrimmer-

Two different items. I have the dongle, which is what arkzrlo did the repack for, but that doesn't work on my dongle (or so I've been advised, different program, maybe?)

I also purchased the Honda Hack Pro, which allows for use directly on the head unit, and is separate from the dongle. I like the Honda Hack Pro better, as it allows me to use Waze.

So, different programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
FYI I updated HondaHack Pro last week while connected to wifi without a problem. It notified me that there was an update and took care of the install on it's own. I'm still on iOS 11 and while I have the dongle, don't really use it. I just use Waze on the head unit and I'm thinking of trying to update the waze.apk via usb using HondaHack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Volume is 'Unmuted and Guidance Volume is set to 'Louder'. Still no turn by turn sound. Should i check the 'Play voice over Bluetooth'? My color scheme does not change automatically either. Tried the settings in Hondahack too. Should i try downloading Hondahack Pro and update?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #189

I used the original exploit to root the head unit. I installed hondahack app after my unit was rooted as a APK.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry if that has been brought up before, but i figure I’ll ask. Everybody states that the dongle needs to be plugged into the 1.5A USB port in order to work correctly. The aesthetics seem pretty bad having to keep the dongle visible. Anybody ever been dangerous enough to see if the wiring can be swapped with the jack for the 2.5A USB port in the hidden compartment under the center console? It would be much nicer to hide the dongle out of sight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Updated firmware and apk are available in the Dropbox folder. I had no chance to try them yet

https://goo.gl/MdZv7X

EDIT:

Waze with support for CarPlay just got released!

arkzrlo and all-

Just downloaded the updated firmware for the CarPlay from arkzrlo’s post, and am happy to say that, YES, Waze is included and works just fine! Thank you!

Also, along those lines discussing Waze; the Waze app that installed with the Honda Hack Pro was kinda weird. The map was really small and the lines for the roads were kinda fuzzy, and hard to focus on for my older eyes. The Waze that installed with the CarPlay is much better, larger, more zoomed in maps; plus, I THINK, that the issue with the day/night view settings works with the CarPlay update that arkzrlo posted.

Thank you for your time and expertise, arkzrlo, your efforts are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
84 Posts
FYI on the iOS CarPlay and Waze-

Looking at this this morning on way to work, it appears that the Waze within the CarPlay uses the Waze from the iPhone through AutoPlay (CarPlay), so any settings that you may need to tweak would be within the Waze app on your iPhone. The Auto/Day/Night setting is there on the iPhone under settings within Waze, and seems to be working correctly - the standalone Waze that installed on the head unit (with the Honda Hack Pro) seems to be the reason that the day/night settings were not working.

I’m really pleased with the new AutoPlay/CarPlay, albeit that I’m only using the Waze, and not much else.

·
Registered
84 Posts
By the way, I checked on the way home and used both the Google Maps and Waze. I had my iPhone’s hotspot turned off. Both apps were drawing from the iPhone and working with my home address punched in, and Waze (the only one I checked for voice directions) was working fine providing turn by turn directions. I also checked the day/night/auto for the map view, and it was working the way it should.

Just be aware that the CarPlay will open the app ON the iPhone, so if you’re limited on your data plan, make sure that you close any apps once you disconnect and exit your Pilot.

I wish they (Apple?) would address the non-charging of the battery, though, as the iPhone doesn’t charge when connected to the dongle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #198 (Edited)
By the way, I checked on the way home and used both the Google Maps and Waze. I had my iPhone’s hotspot turned off. Both apps were drawing from the iPhone and working with my home address punched in, and Waze (the only one I checked for voice directions) was working fine providing turn by turn directions. I also checked the day/night/auto for the map view, and it was working the way it should.

Just be aware that the CarPlay will open the app ON the iPhone, so if you’re limited on your data plan, make sure that you close any apps once you disconnect and exit your Pilot.

I wish they (Apple?) would address the non-charging of the battery, though, as the iPhone doesn’t charge when connected to the dongle.

The new apk i just uploaded to the dropbox folder has a toggle to set the charging intensity through the dongle. Check if that helps you. At least my old iPhone 6 was charging while connected to the dongle (really slow though). My XS shows the charging symbol, but I didn't check if it actually charges or not.

Edit:
I included a link to the Dropbox folder with the apk and firmware of the dongle to my signature so you can always find it easily. I'll try to keep it updated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The new apk i just uploaded to the dropbox folder has a toggle to set the charging intensity through the dongle. Check if that helps you. At least my old iPhone 6 was charging while connected to the dongle (really slow though). My XS shows the charging symbol, but I didn't check if it actually charges or not.

Edit:
I included a link to the Dropbox folder with the apk and firmware of the dongle to my signature so you can always find it easily. I'll try to keep it updated.

Hey, arkzrlo- Thanks for the reply - can you advise where the toggle is (on head unit, or in the app on the phone) as to where to set the charging intensity please? I had installed the apk that you uploaded on 9/24/2018 (and, FYI, I had inquired as to whether your repacked apk's would work on my dongle previously, and you said you weren't sure, but most probably not? Well, they work fine with my dongle - THANK YOU!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Hey, arkzrlo- Thanks for the reply - can you advise where the toggle is (on head unit, or in the app on the phone) as to where to set the charging intensity please? I had installed the apk that you uploaded on 9/24/2018 (and, FYI, I had inquired as to whether your repacked apk's would work on my dongle previously, and you said you weren't sure, but most probably not? Well, they work fine with my dongle - THANK YOU!)

Thanks!
The toggle is in the settings of the app in the head unit. Glad to help :smile:

181 - 200 of 340 Posts