Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Cargo Tray

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Sage 
#1 ·
I want something simple to protect the rear cargo area when I am loading stuff in but I don't want the cargo liner. How do people like their cargo trays? Do they cover the whole area (with the third row seat down) or only the more limited amount of space behind the third row seat? Are they worth it? I wouldn't mind seeing a picture if someone has one they can post.

#2 ·
The cargo tray covers the whole area with the third row seat down. Has a small lip of an inch or so up on the sides to contain a small amount of spilled liquid. The honda unit has all the right moves so that you can still use the hold down hooks on the floor of the cargo area, third party probably wouldn't. I do wish the Honda unit came in different colors such as the weathertech. I would prefer mine to match the saddle interior. I tried the liner thinking it would be better for putting in and out with third row seat usage, but it's very large and cumbersome and doesn't go in easily. Also, you end up with black covering the top 2-3 inches of the second row seats, and velco all over the cargo area when not in use. I didn't like it.

I expect the cargo tray to be cumbersome for those "unexpected" times when the third row needs to be used for seating. I'm going to carry a small string or something so that I can roll the tray up and secure it behind the third row when this happens. Unfortunately, the rolled up tray will take most of the available space behind the third row seat when in use.

No perfect answer for this except to leave the cargo area unprotected.

#3 ·
I like mine, covers the whole area with the 3rd seats down and they fit well. The cover ships rolled up so it takes a couple of days to flatten out, it has a lip around the edge that collects spills and the mat design matches the rear bumper (and the all weather mats if you get those). I bought it from Tim at Honda-Acura World.

#4 ·
Yes, it sounds like a worth-while piece. I suppose the only problem comes if you need to use the third row seat (either all or part of it) at a time when you already have stuff loaded in the back. This must mean unloading everything, rolling up the mat, and then fitting everything back in. This could be a real hassel if you are on a long road-trip with lots of luggage, eh?

I get my new Pilot (Sandstone/Saddle) next week. I've ordered the all-weather mats, which I assume must be black, if they are the same color as the cargo tray.

#5 ·
I have both the cargo liner and cargo tray, and I am pleased with both. I also use both at once.

My situation is different than some, since I never use the third row seat, although it is available to fold up in a pinch. The cargo liner looks OK with my interior, and is necessary because I put a bike in the back and also fishing gear. The cargo tray, since it has a rim lip, is good for messy cargo, especially the wet stuff, like plants, pots, and damp coolers with ice and fish! You can remove it, wash it off, let it dry, and put it back in with no problem. However, it really fits with the third seat down.

EJ

#7 ·
all weather mats

rlanggard,

You do have more choice with the floor mats. You can get a variety of non-Honda mats in the same or nearly the same color as your saddle interior for the honda. I got mine at Pepboys and don't have the "dead pedal" problem you'll find posted elsewhere on this site. You can buy Non-Honda brands from Tim at Hondacuraworld.com that will match your interior, if you so desire.

That's what I would have done had I known about Hondacruraworld.com when I bought my mats. My Pepboy mats match well, and are fine in the front, but the rears only cover the 2 outbound postions, and the middle is unprotected. Tim has a Husky model that will cover all 3 rear postions as a single unit, and comes in tan which will match your saddle interior.

:4:

#8 ·
I like my cargo cover, however I wish it could fold out even more or something, to cover the back of the 2nd row seats when you need to put them down. I had to put the 2nd row down last week to get some sheets of lumber inside. I used a blanket to cover the area that the cargo cover didn't reach.

Anyway, that's just a small complaint. Overall I'm very happy w/ my cargo cover.

#9 ·
Rainbowslim said:
I like my cargo cover, however I wish it could fold out even more or something, to cover the back of the 2nd row seats when you need to put them down. I had to put the 2nd row down last week to get some sheets of lumber inside. I used a blanket to cover the area that the cargo cover didn't reach.

Anyway, that's just a small complaint. Overall I'm very happy w/ my cargo cover.
I thought the same thing this weekend. Home Depot guy was loading me up with 62 pieces of landscape border. Total of 1,364 lbs. By the way... what IS the inside hauling weight maximum on the Pilot? :eek:
Anyway - didn't need to use the space but would've like to have had something over the 2nd row back to be able to distribute the weight towards the center more. Lumber hauling makes even more sense for the need.
Sooo...Do you think I did any damage or was I within the limits of the Pilot? :confused:

#11 ·
dsrpilot said:

I expect the cargo tray to be cumbersome for those "unexpected" times when the third row needs to be used for seating. I'm going to carry a small string or something so that I can roll the tray up and secure it behind the third row when this happens. Unfortunately, the rolled up tray will take most of the available space behind the third row seat when in use.

No perfect answer for this except to leave the cargo area unprotected.
Here is another idea I had a piece of indoor outdoor carpet cut to cover the cargo area of a full size wagon that I used to own. It just happens to be the righlt size for my pilot. I had it bound on the edges so their would be no frayed edges. I think that I have going to have it cut into 2 pieces so I can put one under the other when not needing the whole area covered. I may have an extra seam made so it can be folded when the third seat is used for passengers. Let me know what the rest of you think. You can match the color to your interior too!

:
:27: :27:

#12 ·
Sage said:

I thought the same thing this weekend. Home Depot guy was loading me up with 62 pieces of landscape border. Total of 1,364 lbs. By the way... what IS the inside hauling weight maximum on the Pilot? :eek:
Anyway - didn't need to use the space but would've like to have had something over the 2nd row back to be able to distribute the weight towards the center more. Lumber hauling makes even more sense for the need.
Sooo...Do you think I did any damage or was I within the limits of the Pilot? :confused:
Sage - I'm not sure what the max inside hauling weight is either. How did your Pilot handle w/ all that weight inside? Did the engine struggle or was it up for the job?

#13 ·
sandman said:

Here is another idea I had a piece of indoor outdoor carpet cut to cover the cargo area of a full size wagon that I used to own. It just happens to be the righlt size for my pilot. I had it bound on the edges so their would be no frayed edges. I think that I have going to have it cut into 2 pieces so I can put one under the other when not needing the whole area covered. I may have an extra seam made so it can be folded when the third seat is used for passengers. Let me know what the rest of you think. You can match the color to your interior too!

:
:27: :27:
sandman - personally (and I say personally because I'm not trying to shoot down your idea) if I had to go out and find matching carpet, have it cut, bound, and possibly seamed then I might as well buy the cargo liner. Your idea would have to be substantially less than the cargo liner if I were to go with it. Even if I were going to cut a piece of carpet to fit over the back of the 2nd row when it's down (already have cargo tray) I doubt I would do that because the ol blanket gets the job done just as well and the ol blanket folds up out of the way allot easier than carpet when the 2nd row seats are in use. Anyway, just my opinion.

#14 ·
I understand your opinion. I might have done the same, but I already had the carpet and do not plan to carry a lot of wet stuff in the back. More to protect the orig carpet when sliding luggage or other stuff in the back.
Bob

#15 ·
Eddie Joe said:
Sage:

What you need for those second row seats is the cargo liner. It covers those seats, even the tops, up the sides of the back area, and more. I leave it on all of the time, plus use the cargo tray to capture the really wet stuff.

EJ
The cargo liner covers the 2nd row seats? Hmmm..., Didn't realize that. Thanks Eddie Joe!

Rainbowslim...
The Pilot handled the load beautifully! Front end was noticeably higher of course but no engine strain that I could detect. Just hope I didn't screw something up and don't know it. Was worried about the tires too. Scary - Don't think I'll be doing that again until I determine Pilot inside payload max. :rolleyes:

#16 ·
Sage said:

You did exceed the GVWR of the vehicle (5950 as I recall) - but you probably did not damage anything. 1322 is the max payload, if you look at the sticker inside the driver's door.

rod

#17 ·
colorider said:

You did exceed the GVWR of the vehicle (5950 as I recall) - but you probably did not damage anything. 1322 is the max payload, if you look at the sticker inside the driver's door.

rod
Whew! Thanks Rod...

Had no idea those things were so heavy.
:1pat:

#18 ·
Sage:

To be specific, it covers the backs of the second row seats and the tops. The headrests fit over the material through sewn holes for the posts. It does not cover the "front" of the seats.

When the second row seats are folded down, all of the leather surfaces are nicely protected, even from full length cargo.

EJ

#19 ·
Eddie Joe said:
Sage:

To be specific, it covers the backs of the second row seats and the tops. The headrests fit over the material through sewn holes for the posts. It does not cover the "front" of the seats.

When the second row seats are folded down, all of the leather surfaces are nicely protected, even from full length cargo.

EJ

Gotcha! :29:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.