Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I’m looking into buying a cargo box for my 2019 Pilot. I am considering buying the Yakima Skybox 16 or 18. I was wondering if anyone from the community has bought this particular model and has any suggestions on which size fits better. I have the OEM roof rails and racks. Thank you in advance for your suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I’m looking into buying a cargo box for my 2019 Pilot. I am considering buying the Yakima Skybox 16 or 18. I was wondering if anyone from the community has bought this particular model and has any suggestions on which size fits better. I have the OEM roof rails and racks. Thank you in advance for your suggestion.

But the Yakima 15 is sooo Spock Approved 🖖.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Thanks!! You mean the 16? There’s no 15.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello all. This is my first post. I just bought a Skybox 16 and I'll take a pic when I pick it up at REI later this week.
Hi Eroic. I jus noticed that you are going to pick it up later this week. I’m going to buy one also but I am undecided between the 16 or 18. The 18 is $32 more and extra 11 inches taller. My concern with the 18 is that it may not clear the back tailgate or hit the antenna. What year is your Pilot?

Why did you select the 16?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,369 Posts
Pick you box based on the need. How many people are you traveling with? You are going to loose gas mileage as it is, no reason to have a half empty over sized box. If you are concerned about obstructions then look at the link in my previous post and get out a tape measure. That's why I posted the link to give you the particulars on the various boxes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pick you box based on the need. How many people are you traveling with? You are going to loose gas mileage as it is, no reason to have a half empty over sized box. If you are concerned about obstructions then look at the link in my previous post and get out a tape measure. That's why I posted the link to give you the particulars on the various boxes.
Thanks Daltongang. The issue is that I have the rails and crossbars in the boxes. I’ve bought the rails and bars back in February before the coronavirus was an issue. I’m trying to get someone who has them installed and have a Yakima box to get an idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Eroic. I jus noticed that you are going to pick it up later this week. I’m going to buy one also but I am undecided between the 16 or 18. The 18 is $32 more and extra 11 inches taller. My concern with the 18 is that it may not clear the back tailgate or hit the antenna. What year is your Pilot?

Why did you select the 16?

Thanks,

I own a 19 Pilot Touring. I went with the 16 because it will provide me with the extra room I need and will definitely fit. The measurement guide provided by Yakima says the the 12/18/21 is an inch too long for the OEM room roof rack. The dude at REI told me the 21 (same length as the 18) might fit but might touch the raised tailgate. It should clear the antenna easily. My Pilot came with rails on it and I installed the cross members. Easy install.

-Eroic

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I own a 19 Pilot Touring. I went with the 16 because it will provide me with the extra room I need and will definitely fit. The measurement guide provided by Yakima says the the 12/18/21 is an inch too long for the OEM room roof rack. The dude at REI told me the 21 (same length as the 18) might fit but might touch the raised tailgate. It should clear the antenna easily. My Pilot came with rails on it and I installed the cross members. Easy install.

-Eroic
Thank you for confirming. I have the EX-L trim that didn’t come with either one. I bought them but I have yet to get them installed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a Skybox 21, and stock roof rails and crossbars. I was able to fit it on top of my Pilot without touching the tailgate, with the stipulation being that the box is pretty far forward compared to the the crossbars, but really it’s up to your comfort level. I’ll try to get pictures in the near future.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Pick you box based on the need.
Absolutely. But my experience is that once you get used to using it, your "need" will expand. Buy the biggest one that will fit and enjoy the volume. As a friend of mine once said about the old-school Yakima Rocket Box, "You know, you can sleep in this thing if you really need to."

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had an xl on a previous vehicle and if the weight wasnt distributed evenly it would bow and couldnt close. The front and rear went too far over the crossbars. This medium sits evenly on the factory crossbars and seems itll hold 3 large suitcases.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Like Daltongang attached, Thule has the same and what to measure. There is another thread on this somewhere I posted. I can tell you that my old Thule Evolution 2100 is too long and hits the tailgate. It does not mount up far enough to clear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad I didn't get anything longer. It is bigger than I thought. The Skybox 16 is plenty for us. This will fit our needs perfectly. This is ALL the way forward!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts