Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who bought the accessory cargo cover, do you like it? The reason I ask is because we're debating about whether or not to purchase the cover.

We used to have a Mustang hatchback with a cargo cover that was a PITA and mostly got in the way. Do you find the cargo cover useful and usable?

It sounds like a nice idea to hide the rear cargo area from view, but if the reality of using it is like the old Mustang, we'll pass.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I use my cargo cover all the time, and find that it's easy to use, and easy to remove and stow in the house for those rare times that I'm hauling a lot.

You can put it in a second row, or third row position, too. It'll also stow in the storage area where you put the third row headrests, should you need to haul it stowed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Like it some....

It works fine for me; but it rattles. I only leave it in place when I know I am going to be carrying stuff in the back I want to cover. It seems to be an internal rattle that I can't get at. I have put felt on the ends where it fits into the side slots; but that didn't stop anything. It doesn't matter whether it is extended or rolled-up....it rattles. Works well though.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Like it some....

copilot said:
It works fine for me; but it rattles. I only leave it in place when I know I am going to be carrying stuff in the back I want to cover. It seems to be an internal rattle that I can't get at. I have put felt on the ends where it fits into the side slots; but that didn't stop anything. It doesn't matter whether it is extended or rolled-up....it rattles. Works well though.
I agree with the rattles. I had mine replaced with a brand new one because of the rattles. Now, the new one seems to be louder than the first one.:3:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like a mixed bag of useful but rattles! Rattles will drive me nuts trying to track them down. Maybe someone will come up with a fix for that little problem.

Well shucks. I think I'll just go without for a bit and see if we decide we really want it that badly or not.

·
Registered
423 Posts
speedlever

FYI This was one of the first accessories I bought last June 03 and mine does not rattle. Don't know why, but mine is OK. Maybe some are just defective.

·
Registered
269 Posts
how does it affect the quality of sound from the sub woofer , when fully closed ?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
evaneri65 said:
how does it affect the quality of sound from the sub woofer , when fully closed ?
I haven't found anything that affects the quality of the sound from the subwoofer. Loaded, empty, cover, no cover. I do attempt to keep that area somewhat open, but even loaded up haven't noticed a change.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
We went back and forth on whether to get the cargo cover... our main concerns with things in the cargo area centered around things becoming projectiles in the case of a sudden stop or (heaven forbid) an accident. We were not as concerned with hiding things as one would look rather suspicious peering in into the back of the Pilot with the rear tint. IT would be a bit of an attention getter... at least if anyone was paying attention. We have another vehicle with a rear cargo cover and without the tint, and it is more of an issue there. Also from reading the posts it seemed that the cargo cover could be rather noisy (although there is a fix if you search the posts). In the end we opted for the separation net as it seems to offer the best protection againsty flying objects. We do not often use our third row, so it was an easier choice. Between that, the factory tint, and the cargo mat, we feel pretty well protected and happy with the arrangement.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Like it some....

SteveLuman said:
I agree with the rattles. I had mine replaced with a brand new one because of the rattles. Now, the new one seems to be louder than the first one.:3:
For the record mine doesn't rattle so it is possible to get one that doesn't. I have mine installed behind the second seat. Maybe yours is installed behind the third seat?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Like it some....

florida_guy said:
For the record mine doesn't rattle so it is possible to get one that doesn't. I have mine installed behind the second seat. Maybe yours is installed behind the third seat?
When I first got mine, it was installed behind the third row, and made a lot of noise. When I finally decided to stow the 3rd row seats mostly permanently, I reinstalled the cargo cover and have experienced much less rattle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have installed both the cover and the net. I am very happy with both. I think it gives a nice finished appearance. The cover (April 2003) does have some rattle to it but not enough for me to get really serious about tracking it down. I have it behind the second seat and I always have it covering the cargo compartment. My third row seats are always down.

I have owned a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees, one with the cover and one with a full-sized spare so no cover would work. I found the cover reduced the volume of air that needed to be cooled so the AC worked better. The Honda AC is better so this may not be a consideration unless you live in a place like AZ. I notice no change with the subwoofer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's really a personal thing. I think you just have to think hard about how you will use it, or...better yet -- I don't know if or when you got your Pilot -- but maybe wait a while and see. You can get the cargo cover anytime.

I bought mine when I bought the vehicle, and after a few months of driving, realized I was never really going to use it. So I sold it to a friend who mentioned he was going to buy one.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
JBucey said:
It's really a personal thing. I think you just have to think hard about how you will use it, or...better yet -- I don't know if or when you got your Pilot -- but maybe wait a while and see. You can get the cargo cover anytime.

I bought mine when I bought the vehicle, and after a few months of driving, realized I was never really going to use it. So I sold it to a friend who mentioned he was going to buy one.
I bought one almost immeditely, but did the opposite. I drove around fior a year with the 3rd row up and no cover, and realized the 3rd row would never get used. Since July the 3rd row's been stowed and the cover's been in use.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'd vote yes for a cargo cover. It is one of the accessories we had our dealer include in the purchase. We also have a cargo cover in our CRV (the wife's car) and the 4-Runner that the Pilot replaced. We don't use it a lot, but it's nice to be able to keep everything out of sight on vacations and shopping trips, etc.

As far as the rattles & noises go, I CAN'T STAND rattles in a car. Our cargo cover makes a little noise, but not even enough to bother me.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
jay said:
I use my cargo cover all the time, and find that it's easy to use, and easy to remove and stow in the house for those rare times that I'm hauling a lot.

You can put it in a second row, or third row position, too. It'll also stow in the storage area where you put the third row headrests, should you need to haul it stowed.
You can't store the cargo cover in the rear compartment at the same time as the headrests; one or the other. We discovered it fits perfectly on the floor between the doors when both second and third row seats are down.

As for whether to opt for it, it's probably not as necessary if you have an EX* with privacy glass. I included it at purcahse; if I hadn't, I don't know if I would have added it since. We don't use it that much.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback. With the privacy glass, it may not be necessary for prying eyes. I guess the biggest use would be for gift shopping and hiding from the kids.

For you travelers, what do you use to secure the load in back? We just got the Pilot last Saturday and I have been out of town all week and don't know if the included net in the headrest storage area will stretch enough to cover and restrain baggage in the rear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bought it for my our Pilot... like the privacy. Only complaint I have is that if you place it behind the 2nd, the seat belts from the 3rd row gets in the way, so you have to put them behind the cargo cover. If you don't, then it makes the cover rub against the cover.

That's mine issue... anyone else have this?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
vluu21 said:
Bought it for my our Pilot... like the privacy. Only complaint I have is that if you place it behind the 2nd, the seat belts from the 3rd row gets in the way, so you have to put them behind the cargo cover. If you don't, then it makes the cover rub against the cover.

That's mine issue... anyone else have this?
Aren't you stowing the seatbelts like discussed at http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=73040&highlight=seatbelt#post73040 and shown in this pic by raleighpilot::confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Look at the lower mount by the seat. There is a small notch in the plastic end piece were you can see the silver release. Use a key or the metal tongue of the seat belt and press the silver release button.

The seat belt will disconnect from the seat and retract into the ceiling. Use the belt tongue and the endpoint of the connector to "lock in" to the ceiling storage.

I think there are pictures and descriptions in the manual. Both center shoulder belts in the two rear rows store in the ceiling the same way and the two outside belts in the third row store at the pillar.

Please note: when you want to re-connect the belt to the seat, make sure the arrows on the two pieces are aligned - again, see the manual.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts