Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get one of those cargo carriers (perhaps the Thule brand) that will hold skiis, boots, and other stuff. I have Honda cross bars already installed.

The local ski shop insists that I need additional cross bars to attach the Thule carrier to, and the Thule company says that the Pilot's cross bars can be used as is to attach the carrier.

Has anybody used a cargo carrier on the top of their Pilot? Any ideas, comments, suggestions? How has it worked out?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a Thule rack and attach the Thule box to them. When I bought the box the ski shop workers that installed it on my car said that they are designed to work on any crossbars. I think they are right. The brackets are wide enough for the Pilot's bars and the weight limit is much higher than the box.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have used the Thule "Weekender" on trips for over 3000 miles with no problem using the standard bars. I was concerned that the convex curvature of the factory bars might cause a problem, but the bottom of the box molded easily without causing any gaps or binding of the lid.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The Thule rooftop boxes will work on virtually any rack, factory or otherwise. It has a wide enough clamp to attach to nearlly all racks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for their input. I'll be getting my Thule Evolution 1200 carrier this Thursday. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Evolution 1200

How did the Evolution work? Are you able to open the back without hitting the box? I have a wind fairing to eliminate wind noise for the bikes and I question whether the box will clear the fairing. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) my thule X1

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
sblvro said:
:) my thule X1
Very nice silver on silver.

Curious, what purpose does the raised areas on the box serve. Almost looks like it would make an 'X' across the top of the box.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
vellinga said:

Very nice silver on silver.

Curious, what purpose does the raised areas on the box serve. Almost looks like it would make an 'X' across the top of the box.
thanks! I think it adds stiffness to the cargo box while making it light at the same time. It is better seen in person, it looks like it was made for the pilot. It is also one of the OEM cargo boxes of the 04-05 Volvo XC90:cool: the indentation underneath the box lowers the clearance, 7' parking lots are okay with it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:D do a search on thule evolution and you will see a pilot with a thule evolution:4:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:rolleyes: like this c/o RUFIO:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:4:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cargo Carrier

Gentlemen:

You seem to have this all worked out, but please lend a hand to some one who is brand new to this! I would like to install a roof rack and large cargo carrier on my Pilot 2006 EXL Navi, but I haven't a clue what to get.

My primary criteria is that the rear hatch must open so that I can get my giant dog in and out during trips.

Should I get Honda rack and Thule Evolution carrier?

Thule rack?

Recommendations are very welcome. Thanks.

Mary

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Re: Cargo Carrier

mcletter said:
Gentlemen:

You seem to have this all worked out, but please lend a hand to some one who is brand new to this! I would like to install a roof rack and large cargo carrier on my Pilot 2006 EXL Navi, but I haven't a clue what to get.

My primary criteria is that the rear hatch must open so that I can get my giant dog in and out during trips.

Should I get Honda rack and Thule Evolution carrier?

Thule rack?

Recommendations are very welcome. Thanks.

Mary
honda rack should be fine. the thule rack will raise your clearance by a few inches which is a problem if you want to go to covered parking lots. I have the X1 which sits flush on top of the roof, making a 7'2" clearance. Yes, you can still open the rear hatch.

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I bought the Thule Escape II which is a flexible bag. Has 15 cubic feet.

http://www.thuleracks.com/carrier_luggage2.asp?location=1

Don't have to worry about lid opening of things inside not conforming to the shape of the container.

Only problem - can't fill the Pilot up enough to use it. Took self, wife, two other adults and our two teenage sons (six people) and luggage for the two teens to the airport and everything fit inside.

Took wife, self, son and teenage friend on vacation for 5 days. Everything fit inside. Have even taken my wife to see her parents and stopped at outlet mall on the way. Everything fit inside.

Know if I sell it, I will need it.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Here is image.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts