Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn’t notice a difference. I’m sure I lost a MPG or two, but the Thule Force and Yakima Skybox are incredibly aerodynamic.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
bump for more discussion and more input. Do you have a problem with that?
No need to be an internet tough guy/gal, it doesn't impress me. I'm trying to help you get whatever it was you wanted when your posted that thorough and descriptive post.

Maybe you could post up what box you are looking at and see if anyone has any experience with it?

Bump so this guy/gal can get some more opinions on roof boxes... where are the 3rd gen owners with roof boxes!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I posted this post Cargo Box over 3 years ago. The pic I had with Photo Bucket is distorted now, but here's another one with it mounted. We've used it about 3 times now & I've loaned it to a friend with an Explorer who took it to Florida last year. It's heading out west on another friend's new Ford Edge next month if it will fit his bars. It's been bullet proof with no issues and absolutely no leaking . Yakima makes great products.
P7092394.JPG

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I have a question about some of the cargo boxes in general, but particularly the Yakima Sky Box 21 cu. ft. We got the OEM crossbars on our 2016 Pilot when we got it 4 years ago, but have never needed the cargo box. We're considering getting one now for a trip next month, but we're trying to figure out if its worth it since we think we can do some Tetris-ing and fit everything we need, and spending $700 is a lot.

I've watched some videos, but they just use the duffel bags, etc, - what realistically fits in these? Can we put a suitcase in them? Is the opening too small for that or are they too short to do so? I know the dimensions (18" high) but I don't know where those measurements are taken. Some ideas of what people put in them would be helpful. We're not skiers or outdoors people, so we'd be using it for extra space for traveling for suitcases, strollers, etc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So I have a question about some of the cargo boxes in general, but particularly the Yakima Sky Box 21 cu. ft. We got the OEM crossbars on our 2016 Pilot when we got it 4 years ago, but have never needed the cargo box. We're considering getting one now for a trip next month, but we're trying to figure out if its worth it since we think we can do some Tetris-ing and fit everything we need, and spending $700 is a lot.

I've watched some videos, but they just use the duffel bags, etc, - what realistically fits in these? Can we put a suitcase in them? Is the opening too small for that or are they too short to do so? I know the dimensions (18" high) but I don't know where those measurements are taken. Some ideas of what people put in them would be helpful. We're not skiers or outdoors people, so we'd be using it for extra space for traveling for suitcases, strollers, etc.
A medium suitcase will fit, but I couldn’t tell you how many. I almost never use mine for suitcases. Usually duffel bags, and you can probably fit 6 in there. Just be sure it will clear the latching points on the open side.

·
Registered
430 Posts

I've watched some videos, but they just use the duffel bags, etc, - what realistically fits in these? Can we put a suitcase in them? Is the opening too small for that or

Where do you live Vito? You're welcome to try mine if you live close enough. We're in SW Iowa...

·
Registered
201 Posts

Former 16 Touring owner (now 2019) had used OEM crossbars with the Yakima Skybox 21. Was able to fit my child's Chicco keyfit stroller in it as other cargo boxes couldn't open up wide enough. Waa also able to fit my grandma's push walker, and some duffel bags in it. You have to check the roof weight limits and also the box limits too. I didn't get a chance to test fit any size luggage in there as I still had room in the trunk space. Look on Yakimas website for more info. Also REI salespeople might be able to help too.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Check Craigslist, Letgo, Ebay or other for sale things by you. Garage sales also. Fix your profile to say where you are. Friends/neighbors/coworkers might have one you can borrow or offer to "rent". I saw one in craigslist that way, I think he wanted $50/week BUT you also had to give a full price deposit in case you didn't return it/broke it etc.

SkyBox - and you could resell the "rack" since it won't fit yours or keep for future "rental" to friends with open raised rails and no bars.

RENTAL SKYBOX

Just check on the mounting on Yakima website for the "rear clearance" and bar spacing. I have a Older Thule Evolution the same basic length as the SkyBox. The mounting setup and non adjustable cross bar set up doesn't let it sit far enough forward. It hits on tailgate if you open more than 1/2 way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where do you live Vito? You're welcome to try mine if you live close enough. We're in SW Iowa...
I very, very much appreciate the offer. Unfortunately we're in Delaware - so we're probably about the same distance from you as the trip we'd be taking:p. I do really appreciate it though - would take you up for it if you were indeed nearby.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Former 16 Touring owner (now 2019) had used OEM crossbars with the Yakima Skybox 21. Was able to fit my child's Chicco keyfit stroller in it as other cargo boxes couldn't open up wide enough. Waa also able to fit my grandma's push walker, and some duffel bags in it. You have to check the roof weight limits and also the box limits too. I didn't get a chance to test fit any size luggage in there as I still had room in the trunk space. Look on Yakimas website for more info. Also REI salespeople might be able to help too.
Thanks - I need to find the weight info for the roof racks, but honestly not even sure on that one or where to find it (Honda put them on at the dealership - but that was 4 years ago). I'd probably just settle for Yakima's limits. I am actually planning that if I get it, I will get it from REI because of their return policy, but as a ship to store, since they don't have it in stock at the store. It doesn't look like they have any roof boxes in stock at our store, so I'm not sure how much they'd know there or how helpful they could be.

Check Craigslist, Letgo, Ebay or other for sale things by you. Garage sales also. Fix your profile to say where you are. Friends/neighbors/coworkers might have one you can borrow or offer to "rent". I saw one in craigslist that way, I think he wanted $50/week BUT you also had to give a full price deposit in case you didn't return it/broke it etc.

SkyBox - and you could resell the "rack" since it won't fit yours or keep for future "rental" to friends with open raised rails and no bars.

RENTAL SKYBOX

Just check on the mounting on Yakima website for the "rear clearance" and bar spacing. I have a Older Thule Evolution the same basic length as the SkyBox. The mounting setup and non adjustable cross bar set up doesn't let it sit far enough forward. It hits on tailgate if you open more than 1/2 way.
Thank you - doing the measurements, it looks really close, but I did see earlier in the thread someone with the same setup, it fit and the tailgate could open fine, so I think we're okay there. Honestly that's part of the reason I'd go with the Yakima - it's clear it'll work out alright on our Pilot. I'll take a look for rentals like you suggested. I'm realizing I should have looked into this sooner (had thought about it here and there - deciding to drive to Disney World instead of flying in order to avoid as much travel risk as possible was only a recent development) - we have friends that decided to drive for FL a few weeks ago for this coming week. If I'd realized all this, I could have seen if they wanted to split the cost and we could have taken turns with it, although originally they were supposed to be traveling about the same time as us, so it wouldn't have been as obvious or great long-term.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts