Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Borrowed a thule sonic xl from a friend for 14 hour out of town trip few months ago. Fitment was great and I managed to fit 4 carry on luggages and other small bags on the sides. I would have gotten one for myself but i don't have enough space in the garage to store it when not in use. Got a roof basket instead in case i might need to haul extra baggage.

That looks sharp. What brand roof basket? Are they OEM roof rails?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Considering a cargo box for our Pilot. For those that have them, how quiet and stable are they?

We borrowed a friend's Thule and put it on our '06 Sienna for a trip to Gatlinburg and it was awful. We could hear it whistling quite a bit. It was a bit windy on the way home, and we were coming back to a lower elevation but we could feel it moving the car a bit, as well.

We were thinking about putting one on the back using the hitch receiver instead of on top. I'd rather go with a top one if they we won't know it's up there while driving, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Considering a cargo box for our Pilot. For those that have them, how quiet and stable are they?

We borrowed a friend's Thule and put it on our '06 Sienna for a trip to Gatlinburg and it was awful. We could hear it whistling quite a bit. It was a bit windy on the way home, and we were coming back to a lower elevation but we could feel it moving the car a bit, as well.

We were thinking about putting one on the back using the hitch receiver instead of on top. I'd rather go with a top one if they we won't know it's up there while driving, if that makes sense.
I own a Barrecrafter rooftop box and used it along with the Thule crossbars and wind deflector for the past 12 years on our previous vehicle. I had the same experience with noise and being moved around as you did. Also, fuel economy was impacted significantly.

The first accessory I purchased when I bought our 2017 Pilot was a hitch cargo box made by Stowaway. I used this setup for our 1000 mile holiday travel trip and was thrilled with it. No noise, was not moved around, and still achieved 24.5MPG running 78MPH and 1200lbs of cargo. I also love not having to climb around to get to the rooftop box. Here's a pic of this setup:

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts

No issues with mine. I had friends and neighbors tell me to put a bungee strap and ropes around it, tried it and it was noisy. No need for them. Zero noise by itself. I'm very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I own a Barrecrafter rooftop box and used it along with the Thule crossbars and wind deflector for the past 12 years on our previous vehicle. I had the same experience with noise and being moved around as you did. Also, fuel economy was impacted significantly.

The first accessory I purchased when I bought our 2017 Pilot was a hitch cargo box made by Stowaway. I used this setup for our 1000 mile holiday travel trip and was thrilled with it. No noise, was not moved around, and still achieved 24.5MPG running 78MPH and 1200lbs of cargo. I also love not having to climb around to get to the rooftop box. Here's a pic of this setup:
Are you able to open the lift gate, it do you have to remove the box everytime?

·
Registered
430 Posts

May I suggest going back to read this entire thread about cargo boxes. I believe most of your questions will be answered. Quick answer for you would be that our Yakima is extremely quiet & stable. We pretty much forgot it was even on our Pilot during our 2,000 mile trip to the UP last year. No whistling & no unusual handling. Difference in aerodynamics, tires and tire PSI, suspension & age of vehicle can make a huge difference in the way a vehicle handles when loaded down. Just remember how tall your vehicle is going into low parking garages or car washes... I think you'll find that the Pilot is up to the task as long as you keep those things in mind!:grin:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you able to open the lift gate, it do you have to remove the box everytime?
Yes, I am. The Stowaway box swings away from the vehicle so you can access the liftgate. You unscrew a safety bolt by hand and then lift one lever and the whole system swings out. This whole process takes me about 15 seconds or so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, I am. The Stowaway box swings away from the vehicle so you can access the liftgate. You unscrew a safety bolt by hand and then lift one lever and the whole system swings out. This whole process takes me about 15 seconds or so.
That sounds like a great setup. Do you have the model number of the Stowaway box and approximately how much you paid for it? Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
That sounds like a great setup. Do you have the model number of the Stowaway box and approximately how much you paid for it? Thanks!
I'm thrilled with it. I have the Stowaway2 Max and the delivered price was $743.35 USD. I ordered direct from Stowaway as I wanted the LED light upgrade and with a 5% discount they were offering at the time, it was about the same price offered by Amazon Prime. They make a slightly smaller version called the Stowaway and while it might have met my needs, I felt that it's better to have the space and not use than to need the space and not have it. This product is high quality down to the locking mechanism. It also ships with a simple, yet very effective hitch tightener system. I paid more for this setup than I did for my rooftop box setup, but I might eventually pay for the delta with fuel savings, not counting the convenience factor. The frame is the heart of the system and you can use this for other purposes, such as a tailgate buffet, grill, etc. They seem to have a decent following just for tailgating. I'm not a paid spokesperson for the company or anything like that. Just a customer who was pleased with their offering and how well it works with our Pilot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The rear camera would still work obviously, but then the view will be completely obstructed.
Doesn't matter, you can't use it while driving anyway. If you were backing up with it to park, then you would be very careful about your surroundings. A little help in tight spaces from friends or family works at BBQs and games. I wish we were able to view it while driving. It help when stuck in traffic to see how close the person is behind you or when at a drive thru.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a Yakima Skybox that fits with out touching the tail gate. I am so glad I don't have to use an aftermarket (Yakima) system (wind noise). First pic is side view. Second pic is tailgate clearance. Third pic is rear view. [iurl="http://www.piloteers.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68841&d=1442794208"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.piloteers.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68849&d=1442794233"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.piloteers.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68857&d=1442794274"]
[/iurl]

2016 Honda Pilot EX w/Sensing AWD
2011 Nissan Leaf SV
Is that a SkyBox 21? Will the Honda OEM crossbars on Amazon be sufficient to hold that on a 2017?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Is that a SkyBox 21? Will the Honda OEM crossbars on Amazon be sufficient to hold that on a 2017?
OEM crossbars are solid, but fixed in location. They are rated for 165 pounds of cargo, so they will hold any box you are likely to find. Fit is the issue, especially hatch clearance.

This may be helpful:

http://yakweb-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/HatchClearance.pdf

[edit] BTW ccissna posted that his Skybox is a 21. Post #13 in this thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thule Force XL

This thread has been very helpful. I was back and forth between the Thule Force and Yakima Skybox for weeks before ultimately going with the Thule. Just completed our first road trip. We drove for a solid hour in heavy rain and winds and it never moved. Very happy thus far.

Thule Force XL mounted to OEM cross bars. Hitch opens fully with about 1” of clearance from the back of the box.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 74 Posts