Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to know that, and hope no one hurt. The skybox looks cool with the stickers. Can you park inside the garage with the skybox?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking into these now. So the thule aeroblades will run ~$570 with the attachments vs factory crossbars at about $300 or so off of hondapartsnetwork. Does that seem right? Are the aeroblades worth it?

Otherwise I'm seeing either Thule Hyper XL 612 or a step down to the Sonic XL 635. Those are both 90" long, thule says the Sonic XXL 636 will fit at 100" but not sure how much overhang I'll get.

Anyone recently shop these and have any insight as to how they look and that the back hatch has enough clearance.

For luggage in these is it all duffle bag type? Anyone get suitcases up there?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone have a cargo box with the moonroof visor at the same time? Was wondering what the clearance was or if the cargo box would potentially crack the visor.

I have the Yakima 21 and it fits great. Tried the Thule Force and could not believe how flimsy it felt and how difficult it was to get it locked/unlocked. I am usually a "Thule guy" but in this case, the Yakima was much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, is that the Sonic Large or XL? Also, what is the amount of tint used for the front windows, it looks great.

We are about a week away from receiving our Pilot Touring, white, have been waiting over 3 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thule Force XL - 2016 Honda Pilot

Hi,

I'm looking to get the 2016 Pilot but I was wondering if my Thule Force XL would fit on it without blocking the tailgate. I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey and it barely touches.

I was hoping that someone could do a quick measurement from their 2016 Pilot front crossbar to the tailgate seam. See attached image. According to Thule documentation if the distance is greater than 53 5/8 inches, there shouldn't be a problem with the tailgate hitting the cargo box.

I appreciate the help. It's one of the deciding factors on whether I would get the 2016 Pilot.

Thanks in advance.
We have the Thule Force XL, and it fits the 2016 Pilot perfect.

Had considered the Thule Force L, (and also the Yakima Skybox 16, and Skybox 18). But had opportunity to "try on" the Thule Force XL at a local store before purchase, and the XL absolutely fit. Ample space but not too big; does not obstruct opening of tailgate, nor does it hang over the front windshield. The rack sits directly above the Elite's rear moon roof and a good portion of the drivers moon roof, but less obstructive than we expected. (Partial views remain through our moon roofs above/around the cargo box at the sides. We had suspected the views might be nearly eliminated but that was not the situation with this box.) Overall, for us, the XL size is the perfect size for 2016 Pilot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have the Thule Force XL, and it fits the 2016 Pilot perfect.

Had considered the Thule Force L, (and also the Yakima Skybox 16, and Skybox 18). But had opportunity to "try on" the Thule Force XL at a local store before purchase, and the XL absolutely fit. Ample space but not too big; does not obstruct opening of tailgate, nor does it hang over the front windshield. The rack sits directly above the Elite's rear moon roof and a good portion of the drivers moon roof, but less obstructive than we expected. (Partial views remain through our moon roofs above/around the cargo box at the sides. We had suspected the views might be nearly eliminated but that was not the situation with this box.) Overall, for us, the XL size is the perfect size for 2016 Pilot.
Hey KRC446, That is reassuring to know that the Thule Force XL will fit on the 2016 Pilot without any obstructions with the tailgate. I've had my Pilot for about 2.5 weeks and I haven't tried to put the Thule on top yet. I use the Thule primarily to throw the skis in and somethings for camping. I haven't had a chance to go camping yet. But it's good to know that when the snow hits, I can throw the Thule on and go. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone bought the Honda brand short storage box instead of aftermarket?

What's the best roof storage to get?

Looking to buy storage for he roof for longer family trips and appreciate any recommendations for EASY INSTALL storage boxes that work for the Pilot and doesn't hit the tailgate.

·
Registered
430 Posts

Looking to buy storage for he roof for longer family trips and appreciate any recommendations for EASY INSTALL storage boxes that work for the Pilot and doesn't hit the tailgate.
I did quite a bit of research on these before buying one and got it down to either a Thule or a Yakima. We then went to the new REI store in West Des Moines where we could compare the 2 brands side by side. Even though the two brands are made from the same thickness of plastic, the design of the Yakima makes it a bit stiffer. You could really tell it when opening & closing the lid. It is pretty easy to open or close the lid on the Yak with one hand, but it took both hands on the Thule & it was still a bit difficult, especially when closing it. The Yakima also has a much better latch design on it, both inside & out. The one detail I did like better on the Thule was the cross bar latch setup. It is a bit better than the Yakima for initial setup, but the Yakima is still very simple. I was already sold on the Yakima Skybox Pro after comparing them and then the salesman told me the Yakima was being discounted because it was an old model. I think it ended up being a little over $200 cheaper than the comparable model of Thule which made it a no brainer. We just got back from a 2,000 mile trip with it fully loaded, (luggage for 6 adults) and got along great with it. We averaged right at 23.5 mpg over the 2,035 miles so it didn't cut our mileage much either.

Here's what I did to make it an easy install. I can put it on or take it off in about 10 minutes by myself. I just back in under it, let it down & latch it.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I did quite a bit of research on these before buying one and got it down to either a Thule or a Yakima. We then went to the new REI store in West Des Moines where we could compare the 2 brands side by side. Even though the two brands are made from the same thickness of plastic, the design of the Yakima makes it a bit stiffer. You could really tell it when opening & closing the lid. It is pretty easy to open or close the lid on the Yak with one hand, but it took both hands on the Thule & it was still a bit difficult, especially when closing it. The Yakima also has a much better latch design on it, both inside & out. The one detail I did like better on the Thule was the cross bar latch setup. It is a bit better than the Yakima for initial setup, but the Yakima is still very simple. I was already sold on the Yakima Skybox Pro after comparing them and then the salesman told me the Yakima was being discounted because it was an old model. I think it ended up being a little over $200 cheaper than the comparable model of Thule which made it a no brainer. We just got back from a 2,000 mile trip with it fully loaded, (luggage for 6 adults) and got along great with it. We averaged right at 23.5 mpg over the 2,035 miles so it didn't cut our mileage much either.

Here's what I did to make it an easy install. I can put it on or take it off in about 10 minutes by myself. I just back in under it, let it down & latch it.

Thanks, great information. Are these boxes weather right if I put duffle bags of clothes and toys in it?

·
Registered
430 Posts
We drove for over an hour in a torrential downpour coming into Grand Rapids, Mi. 2 weeks ago at speeds of anywhere from 50-75 mph and didn't get a single drop inside the case. I was impressed...

·
Registered
201 Posts
the Yakima Skybox 21 was a CHAMP, fit like a GLOVE on the OEM crossbars. I was scared it would be too big, but it helped pack all our souvenirs from Disneyland and Vegas. It was the only roof box that could fit my child's stroller through the clamshell, main reason why I bought it. If itweren't for the small luggage space, I would've went with something more streamline like the Thule Hyper XL. But overall, I like the Skybox 21. The only downside is that I can't fit it in my garage mounted to the roof. Definitely a 2 person job, unless you want to risk damaging your Pilot. Rear door opens fully, and as you can see I am able to tilt the moonroof with no clearance issues.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I read that some of the boxes open in the front at higher speeds.

Did you notice that with your box?
Just noticed this. Absolutely no lifting @ all. I was a bit nervous at first so we took it for a dry run with it empty. 80 mph down the interstate with a 15-20 mph cross wind & watching out the roof. No flutter & no lift on the lid, nothing. We're very happy with it.

Never Forget. Please take a moment to honor those who lost their precious lives 15 years ago today.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Borrowed a thule sonic xl from a friend for 14 hour out of town trip few months ago. Fitment was great and I managed to fit 4 carry on luggages and other small bags on the sides. I would have gotten one for myself but i don't have enough space in the garage to store it when not in use. Got a roof basket instead in case i might need to haul extra baggage.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
That looks really sharp, YF. I'm guessing you cant drive into your garage with it on though, right?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts