Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Yakima Skybox that fits with out touching the tail gate. I am so glad I don't have to use an aftermarket (Yakima) system (wind noise). First pic is side view. Second pic is tailgate clearance. Third pic is rear view. ImageUploadedByAG Free1442794218.237682.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1442794243.366998.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1442794283.904439.jpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
what kind of connection does your box have to the crossbars? can you post a picture? I have a Thule box from my last car. havent tried it on the Pilot yet. i wonder what i need to use on the connecting plates to protect my crossbars. it's just a bare metal plates and bolt type attachment. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for posting, I have the same box with the same clip system, I was worried it wouldn't fit on my future Elite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
what type of mount is that? I use the same box but have always attached to my round Yakima bars with mighty mounts. I've always added the oem rails to my 2008 and 2014 pilots then the Yakima clips to the rails with the round bars then mighty mount to the box(s)?

I'm not familiar to the attachment mount you show on your skybox.

My thought is to find one of the mighty mounts that fits or is close enough that some shim around the 2016 Pilot crossbar may help it tighten....although I've been unsuccessful finding the perfect Yakima might mount to date.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'll add to the cargo box that fit. Here is my Thule Atlantis 1600 XT.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have an older model Thule Evolution 1600 box that i got new for cheap at a closeout sale. Unfortunately the mounting kit is the bolts and metals plate kind and the crossbars are too far apart. I am going to have to drill an extra set of holes on the box bottom to make it fit.

spikeitaudi - yours is looking sharp with the hitch, splash guards and side rail! very nice.

i'm tempted to get a hitch too, but then i'd have to find something to tow. heh.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have an older model Thule Evolution 1600 box that i got new for cheap at a closeout sale. Unfortunately the mounting kit is the bolts and metals plate kind and the crossbars are too far apart. I am going to have to drill an extra set of holes on the box bottom to make it fit.

spikeitaudi - yours is looking sharp with the hitch, splash guards and side rail! very nice.

i'm tempted to get a hitch too, but then i'd have to find something to tow. heh.
Thank.. to bad it in the body shop as my wife got run off the road and the entire passenger side is all scraped up. 4 days and we will get it back.

We use the Hitch for our Thule Bike Rack and to pull boats as needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thule Force XL

Hi,

I'm looking to get the 2016 Pilot but I was wondering if my Thule Force XL would fit on it without blocking the tailgate. I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey and it barely touches.

I was hoping that someone could do a quick measurement from their 2016 Pilot front crossbar to the tailgate seam. See attached image. According to Thule documentation if the distance is greater than 53 5/8 inches, there shouldn't be a problem with the tailgate hitting the cargo box.

I appreciate the help. It's one of the deciding factors on whether I would get the 2016 Pilot.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I was hoping that someone could do a quick measurement from their 2016 Pilot front crossbar to the tailgate seam. See attached image. According to Thule documentation if the distance is greater than 53 5/8 inches, there shouldn't be a problem with the tailgate hitting the cargo box.
I measured 56" from the center of the front crossbar to the nearest point of the fairing/spoiler in the raised position, at roughly the level of the crossbars. You have a fighting chance.

I was pretty thrilled to be able to re-use an expensive car-top cargo/ski box after my last vehicle change, for about the first time ever!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I measured 56" from the center of the front crossbar to the nearest point of the fairing/spoiler in the raised position, at roughly the level of the crossbars. You have a fighting chance.

I was pretty thrilled to be able to re-use an expensive car-top cargo/ski box after my last vehicle change, for about the first time ever!
Hi Wanderer,

Awesome! Thanks for doing the measurement. I think 56" is pretty good. I'm going to start negotiations with me dealer next week.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Sandwalker, just curious how your evolution 1600 is holding up. I just bought one on clearance and, like you realized that I have to drill holes. Of course when I called Thule before purchase they said it would fit , and when I called after purchase they said it would void any warranty if I drilled the holes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sandwalker, just curious how your evolution 1600 is holding up. I just bought one on clearance and, like you realized that I have to drill holes. Of course when I called Thule before purchase they said it would fit , and when I called after purchase they said it would void any warranty if I drilled the holes.
I've only used it a few times, but the drilled holes (just one on each side, i forgot if its on the front of back now, but total 2 holes drilled) are as good as the factory ones. I have no issues or concerns regarding the mounting. The box performs great, no noticeable wind noise or vibrations at all.

Only thing i dont like is that with the bolt/plate mounting, it is possible for someone to loosen the bolt and slide the box off the rack. There's is a U bolt kit from Thule that will prevent that, which i may eventually look into if i need to have the box on for extended trip.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
1 - 20 of 79 Posts