Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point, I'd like to pick up a cargo box (for times when a little extra storage is needed..ie. dog is in back). I already have the Yakima low riders & crossbars which attach right onto factory rack.
I probably am leaning towards either a Yakima or Thule box (the Thules are advertised as fitting on "round" crossbars..such as I have with my Yakima crossbars).
Since the new snow skis are so much smaller (just traded my 208cm for 168cm) the length of the box is no longer important. My PRIMARY concern is that the cargo box doesn't impede the rear hatch opening. Other concern would be "stability" of the box, based upon the somewhat limited (maximum) "spread" that the rack permits.
Any words of widom would be appreciated.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a "shameless" bump of this thread. Surprised no one has any advice on this?:confused:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Thule or Yakima boxes. It all depends on what you will be toting around in the box, and what else you'll be putting on your roof.

I'm partial to Thule and we've had a Mountaineer box for 2 years. They have the Thule Evolution line as well, with I think is replacing some of the older boxes, including the Mountaineer. The Evolution boxes open on either side and are more aerodynamic. However they only come in one color format (grey on top and black on the bottom). Personally I like the 100% black boxes. Looks better on the vehicle. Personal choice.

Incidently REI likely has a sale coming up soon (in the next month or so) with up to 20% off Thule and Yakima products (YMMV). That's when and where we bought ours.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Long cargo box may not work

Since I needed to have both middle seats available the last time I went skiing, I tried to use a friend's Cargo Box to carry the skis. I think it was a Yakima Rocket Box. When I went to pick it up, he said it would fit as long as my rack could spread to 36". I found my rack could only get to 34 1/4 inches. He was willing to drill more holes in the box to fit my Pilot, but first we tried it on to see if the Pilot's rear hatch would still open. It The hatch would not open more than halfway before hitting the cargo box. While having Yakima or Thule crossbars may allow a little more spread between the bars, I'd recommend testing fit or careful measurement before purchasing cargo box to make sure cargo box doesn't interfere with rear hatch.

Another option is to try www.sportsrack.com who rent cargo boxes and other items so you can try before you buy. Besides selling Yakima and Thule boxes they also sell Sportrack Int'l boxes which are made in Canada by a company that is not related to Sportsrack.

It looks like I may be going to a ski rack although I don't like exposing the skis to the road grime. I'm missing the space in my all wheel drive Aerostar where skis could be stored under the seats and 3 bikes could be stored behind the third seat if you removed the front wheels on the adult bikes.

Why doesn't Honda rack extend farther forward like the one on the Highlander? Is there any way to add another crossbar? I know there are more mounting studs that I saw when I took off the roof rail when installing my rack.

We ended up going in my friend's 89 Jimmy which rides like a truck, but can fit skis sideways behind the second seat.

Havasu Blue LX with OEM rack

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
what about the luggage basket

I like the look of the luggage basket....want to get it ..any experiences with this...:awais:

·
Registered
143 Posts
be careful of fit w/factory bars

I have the Thule Frontier box and factory crossbars. I could only open the liftgate 1/2 way with the box mounted full forward on the Pilot. The rear brake light "spoiler" hits the box. This forced me to redrill the holes and move the mounting brackets.

If I had it to do over again I would have purchased the aftermarket crossbars, which would have given the cargo box enough height, so as to not interfere with the opening of the liftgate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
About a month ago, we bought the Thule 754 crossbars and the Evolution 1200 cargo carrier. It is silver with a black bottom which looks great on the silver Pilot and it does open on both sides and seems to be able to carry alot of stuff whether it be skis, which is what we used it for on this trip or clothes and stuff for the summer vacations. It did not make any noise until we took the box off and just left the crossbars on and then the noise was an irritation, so we took them off until the next time we need to use the box. The whole system seemed very user friendly.:D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chiquita said:
About a month ago, we bought the Thule 754 crossbars and the Evolution 1200 cargo carrier. /B]

Chiquita, Are you able to open the rear hatch without interference?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, absolutely no problem!! We bought it at Racksmith and I told the salesman before I bought it, that I wanted to make sure that I could open the rear hatch without any problem and he told me that they always make sure that's the case, before a car leaves their store. As a matter of fact, he had just put this same setup on his sister's silver Honda Pilot the week before and I have to say, it has worked out great. We were able to fit in three sets of skis, helmets, ski pants, boots with room for more stuff. The only downside I think was the gas mileage. Even though the Evolution is designed to be more aerodynamic, I saw a difference in gas mileage, even with just the crossbars on. I think the whole setup was about $585. for the two crossbars and the cargo box. Davemac, I know that you are also from MA. I was impressed with Racksmith. They installed them for me at no charge in about 20 minutes or so and told me that anytime I have a question or a problem to come back. The one that I went to is in Hanover, on the South Shore, but I know they have different locations throughout the Boston Area.
:cool:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey, I just ordered some Thule 754xt bars from Ageebike.com (great price), and plan to install them later this week.

Curious, has anyone been able to install the 754xt bars and a Thule Mountaineer box, without drilling new holes in the box so that the rear hatch/door on the Pilot does not bump against the back of the rooftop box?

Just want to know what to expect as I load up the truck.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just put the Thule Mountaineer up on the roof of our Pilot, on the Thule 754xt cross bars. Perfect fit, with the cross bars fully forward on the rack. There's about 2" to spare before it would hit the tailgate, when raised.

Looks good and is all loaded up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I purchased the Thule Evolution 1600 box last year from REI, (on sale for about $250.00). It is a little shorter, but wider than the normal box. Since I don't have the crossbars yet, I haven't used it yet on our new Pilot, but it should fit perfectly, and not prevent the hatch from opening. I have already spoken to a Thule representative, and they told me it will work on the factory rack. On our Toyota Sequoia, it connects easily to the curved cross bars, and can be attached securely in 5 - 10 minutes. It can hold skis up to 180cm long. Here is a link to the model I'm talking about: http://www.rackwarehouse.com/t672.html

A note of caution, the Pilot roof rack has a weight limit of 150 lbs., and the box weighs about 45 lbs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
FWIW, the Thule Excursion has 13 cubic feet of internal space and weighs thirty pounds. The Thule web site says 44 pounds but I just put mine on a scale and it's 30 pounds empty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts