Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
For certain long trips I will simply remove the third row (not too hard), remove the cargo box (very easy), and put a hardboard 'top, or lid' over the area where the cargo box was. This gets a relatively level area in most of the cargo area, and also makes it deeper so I can stack stuff & still see over it. Not sure if this helps you, but I thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
this is crazy but i love the idea ..didn't know this can be done can someone click a pic on this done ?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
So, no one is aggravated by the unlevel cargo area when you fold the 3rd row seats down? Gotta be a simple fix or added fixture?
of course BUt this also falls under ..meh it's a Honda deal with it ..Other than taking out seats and stuff ..not much else you can do .

·
Registered
167 Posts
The fist pic shows the cargo area with 3rd row & cargo box out. As mentioned, relatively easy to do. 2nd pic shows the outline of where the hardboard lid goes (sorry, no pic of the actual lid right now). You could put additional carpeting on top of that all if you wanted. It's flat until the cross rail that the 3rd row mounts to, which BTW is farther forward than it appears in the picture. It works great for us when we go camping.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
OMG this is awesome question do you have any issues or difficulties when you put back the seats and stuff?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not really.

The third row re-installs with the rear bolts first, and the seat part needs to be tilted up for access. I just used a bungee (up over the backrest & hook onto the little hooks behind the seat) to keep the seat up while fastening. Get all the bolts started first, then tighten. Cargo box pops right back in the way it came out. Instructions in the manual and here on the forums.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I finally had a chance to take & post some pics...The 2x1's under the hardboard add a lot of stiffness in the well area, and the feet at the 4 corners of the frame rest on the floor. Notice that the ones in front are deeper that the ones in back. The carpeting went on with spray contact glue I had left over from re-doing my arm-rest. I just picked up the out-laws from the airport. Using this base plus one 3rd row seat folded down, I was able to get all their luggage in (7 of us on the way home). Would not have worked w/o taking out the cargo box & putting in this leveling base, as it allows the luggage to sit deeper, and take advantage of the larger distance between the hatch & back of third row farther down.
cargoBoard1.jpg

cargoFlat1.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts