Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Pilot Elite AWD w/9-speed push button trans, how does Car Wash mode work and how do you engage it?

I had an experience that I don't wish to repeat.
I took my vehicle to the Car Wash near my house for the first time, I usually take it to the dealer (free car wash) or was it myself with the power-wash. It's one of those ride-along washes. I pulled up to the conveyor, put it into Neutral and proceeded through the wash. At the end of the wash, I pushed Drive and it wouldn't engage, meanwhile the car behind me was approaching. I hit it repeatedly and it wouldn't engage. I began to panic and cuss. Finally, it occurred to me to hit the brake, then Drive. This worked, but It took me from a slow roll off the conveyor belt to a full stop before lurching forward. Not the way I wanted to exit the wash.
Is this the proper procedure?? (BRAKE and push neutral) There has to be a better way for Car Wash.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When you’re ready to go through, keep your foot on the brake and press the neutral button twice. When it’s time to drive out, keep your foot on the brake again and press ‘D’ for drive. You always need to have your foot on the brake to change gears. Don’t also forget to push up the lever for your rain auto-sensing wipers before you go in (not sure if the 2018 Elite comes with rain auto-sending wipers too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read the owners manual before posting (this is for putting the car in "N" and exiting the vehicle, not the scenario I described.) (And I definitely don't want it to shift to "P"! You're stopping the car on a conveyor belt with another car about 10' behind you!)
These solutions still don't address the problem, shifting from "N" to "D" without hitting the brakes.
When on a conveyor belt, you really don't want to have to hit the brake to shift it to "D". (the last thing I want to see from the car in front of me is Brake Lights.)
I guess if that is the only way, then that's what you have to do, but this is not a good design (TOO MUCH auto & safety crap in new cars!)

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're riding along then you don't need to toggle "car wash mode". Generally on a conveyor washer system when you reach the end of the line your car will be pushed off the conveyor if you wait, thus most have a little wait/go light at the end of the line to let you know when your vehicle is clear of the line (so you don't try to brake/accelerate/steer while your wheels are still on the track). At that point, pushing the brake to shift to D would take you all of 1-2 seconds. Most also have sensors such that the system would stop/pause if it detected that your car is not out of the way as the rider behind you approaches. As long as you wait until your clear you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also keep in mind that you don't need to stand on the brake pedal either. You just need to press it down enough to activate the switch. Test this out in your driveway so you have an idea how hard you have to press before it will go into drive. I just tested this myself and the amount I had to press on the brake pedal for it to go into D was not even enough to keep me stopped and I easily idled forward up my driveway. So the amount you need to press on the brake pedal to go into D should not be enough to make you come to a stop in a car wash.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don’t think the OP is asking for how much he needs to press the brake - the OP just doesn’t want to press on it all. Doesn’t even want the brake lights showing. OP is going to need to ask Honda for a redesign of the Pilot. Sorry I couldn’t be of help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don’t think the OP is asking for how much he needs to press the brake - the OP just doesn’t want to press on it all. Doesn’t even want the brake lights showing. OP is going to need to ask Honda for a redesign of the Pilot. Sorry I couldn’t be of help.

Yes but since asking Honda to redesign how this works is not a feasible option, I am giving the info on how #1 this feature officially works and #2 how to get through a car wash and not have to come to a complete stop at the end like they did in the OP example. Wants and needs do not always align with how things actually work. Now the OP has the info and how to at least be able to put it into D without coming to a complete stop next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes but since asking Honda to redesign how this works is not a feasible option, I am giving the info on how #1 this feature officially works and #2 how to get through a car wash and not have to come to a complete stop at the end like they did in the OP example. Wants and needs do not always align with how things actually work. Now the OP has the info and how to at least be able to put it into D without coming to a complete stop next time.
I read the owners manual before posting (this is for putting the car in "N" and exiting the vehicle, not the scenario I described.) (And I definitely don't want it to shift to "P"! You're stopping the car on a conveyor belt with another car about 10' behind you!)
These solutions still don't address the problem, shifting from "N" to "D" without hitting the brakes.
When on a conveyor belt, you really don't want to have to hit the brake to shift it to "D". (the last thing I want to see from the car in front of me is Brake Lights.)
I guess if that is the only way, then that's what you have to do, but this is not a good design (TOO MUCH auto & safety crap in new cars!)

Thanks
I feel your pain. It boggles my mind that it is not possible to go from N to D without having to press on the brake. I have had the same scenario as you. Not an enjoyable experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts