Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Just came from the dealer (my pilot touring FINALLY arrives in two weeks and I was going over what accessories/add ons I wanted). Anyway, I asked to make sure they would go over everything once the car arrived so I'd know all the features, and he said "oh yes, we want to make sure you know everything so there's No issues!" and then he told me about a client who had to "eat" 5k in tranny repairs thanks to taking her car to a drive through car wash. Said she put the car in Neutral, not knowing that the Pilot will sense rolling in neutral and after 15ft will place the car in park mode. I guess there's a "car wash mode" she didn't realize she had to place it in. Needless to say, it went into park after 15ft and the car was basically "pulled" through the rest of the way of the car wash, totally damaging the vehicle. Honda wouldn't cover repair as it was user error, so she paid 5k for a new car to get fixed! I've never heard of any car having this "car wash mode" but wow! Makes me want to read and re-read the manual when I get it!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi!

Just came from the dealer (my pilot touring FINALLY arrives in two weeks and I was going over what accessories/add ons I wanted). Anyway, I asked to make sure they would go over everything once the car arrived so I'd know all the features, and he said "oh yes, we want to make sure you know everything so there's No issues!" and then he told me about a client who had to "eat" 5k in tranny repairs thanks to taking her car to a drive through car wash. Said she put the car in Neutral, not knowing that the Pilot will sense rolling in neutral and after 15ft will place the car in park mode. I guess there's a "car wash mode" she didn't realize she had to place it in. Needless to say, it went into park after 15ft and the car was basically "pulled" through the rest of the way of the car wash, totally damaging the vehicle. Honda wouldn't cover repair as it was user error, so she paid 5k for a new car to get fixed! I've never heard of any car having this "car wash mode" but wow! Makes me want to read and re-read the manual when I get it!!
Wow thats wild. I usually sit in the Pilot through the drive through and then have them do the windows. If i have the option I go the hand car wash I will 99% of the time. I know of the mode but never use it in case there is a key fob issue and I get locked out for some reason lol.. a fear of mine.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Hi!

All of this stuff is CYA by Honda to try to mitigate rolloff incidents that have occurred with the electronically controlled 9-speed transmission in other applications. Automatically shifting into "Park" when the engine is turned off, or when the driver's door is open, are other examples. Sadly, Star Trek is lacking a Chekov because of one such incident. Actor Anton Yeltsin was pinned and killed when his Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled into him.

But yes, the "car wash mode" sounds cumbersome to engage. And you wouldn't believe what it takes to disengage "Park" if the battery is dead and the vehicle needs to be towed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
So this is only for the Touring/Elite with the 9 speed transmission, correct?

·
Registered
79 Posts
One of the issues I ran into when my pilot died.. How r u going to toe!l? Shame on them !!!! U can't switch to neutral when ur car dies..

·
Registered
230 Posts
This must have happened when there was no one in the car and it was put in neutral w/o following the instructions. But the manual doesn't explicitly warn you of what happens if you don't follow it. This is good to know.

I don't think the car would park if you're in the car with the remote and just put the car in neutral.

I'm going to have to install the pdf manual in my phone. There's just a lot of things I can't remember.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
"Car wash mode?!"

One of the issues I ran into when my pilot died.. How r u going to toe!l? Shame on them !!!! U can't switch to neutral when ur car dies..

There is a little metal knob on top of the transmission that will physically disengage the parking pawl and allow the car to roll, but unless you have a special Honda tool that holds it, you have to twist it with a wrench and "ride" the car while it gets loaded onto the tow truck. I haven't done it, but it sounds "fun".

I read about it in a post from a Honda mechanic. I haven't seen it documented in any owner literature.

[edit] This is if the battery is dead. Otherwise, AFAIK car wash mode should work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man am I glad both of our EX-Ls have the six speed. I know it has some flaws as well, but holy crap what was Honda thinking going with the ZF? If the next iteration of the Pilot has nothing to choose from other than push button gear selectors, this will be our last 2 Pilots. Next time someone wants an Elite or Touring, I'm going to offer to let them give me $6k-10k to kick them in the nuts. Then I'll steer them to the EX-L and they will thank me for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
677 Posts
From the User's Guide:

View attachment 92913
At least this makes it clear that the cutover from Neutral to park is 15 MINUTES, not 15 FEET, as the OP was told.

Most car washes should easily convey a car from beginning to end in well under 15 minutes. If they didn't, they would never make any money.

However, I do agree that it is insane to include this feature without posting warning notices or "Are You Sure?" reminders all over the Infotainment system.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pairallel,

Thanks for catching the 15 min vs 15 feet . . . my dealer must have been wrong. Though you're right, I don't know of a car wash that would take over 15 min. I'm hoping to never find out if it's feet or minutes =)

·
Registered
48 Posts
WOW!!! Thanks for the heads-up. I usually will put mine in N, when traveling, going down some long hills, and glide to the bottom. The trick is to press/hold D at the bottom to reengage Drive, even at a stop. I do the same thing at lights that I know will be a long wait for the green, hate the stupid "auto-stop/start" feature. Because there is no transmission stress on the engine in N, you get better mileage on the downhill glides and at the stop lights, and you don't lose cooling air or heat.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Or leave driver's seatbelt fastened and car in neutral. See: Carwash Work Around? - AcuraZine Community

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would anyone unbuckle their seat belt when going through the car wash? :confused:

Do they unbuckle it when they go through the drive thru at the fast food place, the bank, or anywhere else that they would be in the car and not driving? :surprise:

BigDozer66

·
Registered
511 Posts
WOW!!! Thanks for the heads-up. I usually will put mine in N, when traveling, going down some long hills, and glide to the bottom. The trick is to press/hold D at the bottom to reengage Drive, even at a stop. I do the same thing at lights that I know will be a long wait for the green, hate the stupid "auto-stop/start" feature. Because there is no transmission stress on the engine in N, you get better mileage on the downhill glides and at the stop lights, and you don't lose cooling air or heat.
Turn auto stop off when u start the car.. problem solved.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Why would anyone unbuckle their seat belt when going through the car wash? :confused:

Do they unbuckle it when they go through the drive thru at the fast food place, the bank, or anywhere else that they would be in the car and not driving? :surprise:

BigDozer66
I think it's because for some carwashes they can't stay in the car, and it's hard to get out of the car with your seatbelt fastened. :8:

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
Since I had body work done to both my 2016 Pilot (repair factory paint flaw) & Accord (fix front end damage) I've gone with the "touchless" car wash alternative. The brushes in an automatic car wash are brutal for an auto's paint job, especially the guys who do the manual scrubbing to the front/rear of the vehicle with their long handle brush as you enter the car wash.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts