Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have been a member of this board for a few months and I have been a member of numerous other boards for 3+years. I have posted this on several boards and I have asked friends of mine to post this on as many boards as they can. I am in a situation where I am hoping that the knowledge and willingness of many of the board members I have experienced might help me in a tough situation. It is a long story but I will surmise it below.

About eight months ago, I was looking to sell my 4Runner when a company that does “Payment Guarantee” for vehicles approached me. I was aware of such businesses and I did some research on the company including a BBB search and everything checked out. Since I was upside-down on the car I was not able to sell it for what I needed, so I decided to turn my car over to them for the remainder of the loan. The deal was they were going to locate a customer who would make the payments on the car directly to the lender and at the end of the loan, we would transfer title to them and they would own the car outright. Everything was fine until last month when the lending company contacted me and they told me that they hadn't received a payment since June. I tried contacting the company for the past month and it seems that they have disappeared. I contacted Law Enforcement and they said it is a civil matter and that we have to handle it ourselves.

What I am hoping is that someone out there might have a way to search for people that might not be listed. I need to get the physical address of the people who used to run the business. I have a post office box that I know they check regularly, but I cannot get their information released to me without launching a full-scale investigation with the Postal Inspector. I am afraid this might spook the people and they will move or dump my car. I do not want to sue these guys (not yet at-least); I just want my car back.

I also am hoping that everyone can keep an eye out for a 2000 Silver 4Runner Limited, license number 4PUG533. If you see it, PLEASE PM ME.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
If you want to PM me the names I will look them up. I have a program at work that allows me to do so.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
If you want to PM me the names I will look them up. I have a program at work that allows me to do so.
I was going to suggest the same thing.

humanatek, if you have their names you can probably track them down. You would have register with a service in your state, but it will allow you to pull up (on-line) the addresses, driver's license #, vehicle license #, mortgage information, credit history, etc... of these people. You can even see if they have a criminal records. I think the service runs about $20 per month.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If they created some sort of legal business entity (corporation, etc.), then you should be able to get their contact information from the Attorney General's office of the state in which they formed the business entity.

I know for a fact that in Massachusetts, you cannot use a PO box as a contact address when you start a corporation.

When I thought a repair shop had ripped off my John Deere tractor, I was able to get the owner's full name, home address, and home phone number from the Attorney General's web site. Fortunately, it was a misunderstanding and I got my tractor back. Hopefully you'll be as lucky as I was.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You can get information on any corporation at the individual State's Secretary of State website. That site will provide you the name and address of the corporation's registered agent, as well as the names/addresses of any officer. Unfortunately, the company that this guy is looking for is not a registered corporation. I used to work for the Florida Attorney General's Office. They had a section where consumers could call and check to see if any complaints have been filed against a business or whether or not any lawsuits had been filed by the AG's office. It is better to contact the AGs office before the BBB. The BBB isn't very helpful and there info. is outdated.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Also check state and local business licensing agencies. Most basic business licensing information is usually public information and might given you some additional name information. Check with the County to see if they can tell you if any property tax statements or voter information is sent to that PO Box. If you get a name, go to the County and see if you can get voter registration information or if that person owns property under that name.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:( if they try registering your car maybe giving the VIN number to the different licensing agencies should help track your car down. insurance companies should be able to help too.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The way I see it, if you have the title, and they are not paying and you don't know where the car is;
Then it is stolen!
The police should be able to understand that.

I would not wait to crank up the heat on the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The scariest part of your story is that your car might not be considered stolen. It sounds like you voluntarily gave it to someone else under a contractual obligation to make payments. Thus creating a sort of bailment, installment sale, or some other type of lease/purchase agreement from yourself. They may be in default under that agreement and you may the right of repossession, but that is not the same thing as stolen.

Now for the scary part, most insurance companies will not pay if someone fails to return your car to you if you have voluntarily given it to them, as it is not stolen in the legal sense of the word.

Same result as a theft, but no insurance coverage. Check your policy, and with an attorney, ASAP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts