Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Honda Pilot

When I start the car it turns on no problem (so it recognizes it’s in either park or neutral). But the P light on the dash is not illuminated and I can’t change out of park to another gear. I use the manual release and go through all of the other gears and all the indicators are working on the cluster, then when I go back in to park the P still does not illuminate and I am stuck again.

When I turn the key to the “ON” position but don’t start it up the green D light is illuminated instead of the red P. If I turn the car off in neutral and then turn it back on the N is illuminated and not the D.

Because of this it seemed like a transmission range sensor issue and I just replaced it but no luck. This doesn’t sound like an interlock solenoid is due to me since the P isn’t even getting illuminated on the instrument cluster.

Like once a week or so everything works fine and I don’t get stuck in park. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not saying this is the problem but I fixed a CRV once with a similar problem. The lady would put her hair scrunchies on her shifter. They eventually worked their way down to the bottom of the shifter inside the column and prevented the shifter from going fully into park. I must have gotten 20 of those things out of there.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention on here that when this is happening the brake lights are still working fine before anyone suggests the brake pedal switch!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Long overdue but finally have a small update. Lots of things in life caused this to go to the back burner for me since I can work around it with the manual release.

For the past week it’s recognizing that it is in park with the indicator coming on but it isn’t letting me shift out. The VSA light has now come on. Scanned it and I’ve got a 68-1 for brake switch failure. Cleared it drove around and it came back. All my brake lights are working normally though. What should I be doing at this point?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
Could also be the transmission range sensor?

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
Only two of the four wires on the brake switch are for the brake lights, the other two are for the shifter interlock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts