Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get some opinions of leather vs. cloth interior with babies. Alot of people have told me that leather is the way to go for kids because the spills clean up very easy. However an equal number of folks have told me that the baby seats destroy the leather over time.

Being that the Pilot comes in Leather and Cloth models I have the choice. So does anyone have any experiences they could share?

thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
I agree with catbert about leather. we had cloth seats when our kids were younger, and ice cream, gum, juice, and less mentionable by-products of children are awful in cloth seats. Wipe right off leather. The other day I spilled a Wendy's drive-thru coke on the seat and was sure glad there was no cloth to seep into!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
havasu said:
I The other day I spilled a Wendy's drive-thru coke on the seat and was sure glad there was no cloth to seep into!!!
Provided the leather seats w/o millions of tiny holes in them. Won't the liquid seep thru those holes? I haven't got a clue b/c my kids haven't yet spill anything.

·
Registered
991 Posts
pilot03 said:

Provided the leather seats w/o millions of tiny holes in them. Won't the liquid seep thru those holes? I haven't got a clue b/c my kids haven't yet spill anything.
you know what you are right.. those holes I believe are made so the leather can stretch and breath (car seats should be ok) but the spilling thing AHHHHHH:(

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nevertheless, leather cleans up and wears better than cloth. And we have kids and car seats.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have seen both cloth and leather after many miles with consistant car seat use. Both leave a what looks like it could be permenant "outlines" on the seat. No plus or minus there to either. The trick I believe is to put down a towel or mat of some sort to buffer the seat from the hard plastic car seat.

As far as liquid and the holes. Look at it this way, with the Pilot, liquid will seep into either. The main question now is, do you want the result to be a sticky (until properly cleaned) cloth seat, or do you want to grab that towel under the car seat and wipe off the leather? (or just use the handy wipe up-clean up wipes from Armour All that I keep in the glove box)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Buy a special rubber mat at ToyRUs or The Right Start. I think they are called Seat Saver and the cost was around $20. The mat covers the seat area and back, and there are small cut-outs so the mat doesn't get in the way of the seatbelt.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use waterproof crib pads under my car seats, much cheaper than ones specifically "designed" for this purpose. They work great! cover not only under the seat, but the seat back as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Having leather and child car seats are no problem as long you are willing to put in some time to care for t\the leather. I've had leather in our cars for years and a car seat since 1996. I use a towel to line the bottom and back of the seat where the car seat will go and also use 303 protectant on the seats every 2 weeks. I do remove the car seats and apply the protectant. This helps to keep them somewhat impervious to any liquid/food spills. Every 2 weeks may seem excessive to some but is well worth the time. Just like anything else, once you've developed a routine, it really does not take much time at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts