Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just became a Piloteer, having picked up our 2019 7-seater.

We have 2 young kids in Diono seats and I have placed the seats in the 2nd row captain’s chairs.

Trying to balance out the practical day2day vs having additional infrequent passengers and the access/usability of the 3rd row.

In the current configuration, the 3rd row if our additional passengers are kids... they can easily hop over the middle rest and jump.

However, for much older passengers who aren’t very mobile this setup is not practical.

Anyone have their car seats sitting in the 3rd row? Would love to hear your thoughts on how this is working for you and your fam?

·
Registered
415 Posts
this is why i got the touring instead of the elite because the bench seat was crucial.
it opens up my options and sometimes i do havethe kids sitting in the back.
the 3rd row is roomy even for adults. thats why the pilot is better as a family car compared to competitors. your kids wont have an issue. and the pass through in the middle row thanks to the captain chairs allows other possibilities. the 3rd row is suppose to seat 3. i think thats ipmossible for 3 adults, but 3 kids who dont need to use booster seats, having the 2nd row only be captain chairs and the middle row open allows the person sitting in the middle of the 3rd row be able to stretch their legs.
but for now if you are using child seats, it depends. if your kids can buckle themselves in and out it should be no problem. if not, its more work having to reach over to the 3rd row while buckling them and putting them in etc. if they still require intervention to go in and out of their car seats and harness/belts, its more optimal to keep them in the 2nd row. especially if you dont use your 3rd row a lot (dont carry full load of passengers) because its easier to buckle them in and out

·
Registered
618 Posts
We used Diono Radian seats. Well just one now but did have 3! 2 in boosters now. We have a bench which makes it easier but if we know we are going to have an extra passenger we put one in the 3rd row passenger side seat. easy to slide the seat forward for him to get in or out. and when it was in a seat and couldn’t buckle himself it wasn’t to bad to reach back and buckle.

·
Registered
415 Posts
just to add i did experiment. as i mentioned i have a bench. 1 convertible car seat rear facing. and 2 highback booster with harness. the highback boosters arent small but they arent big either compared to graco forever type car seats or the basic booster thats seatbelt only. The convertible car seat can be front or rear facing up to i forgot how many lbs and its bulky because convertible tends to be.

I managed to squeeze all 3 in the 2nd row. with the convertible car seat rear facing behind passenger. This way its easy to put baby as its on edge and not the middle. And the oldest child in the middle going through driver side, and middle child at other edge. The 2 older children dont use seat belt yet, and uses the harness thats in the booster (its one of hte nicer ones that have it and you can rmove it once they are big enough for belts) Because of that, they someitmes still need intervention as the harness gets twisted and its difficult to release although they can most of the time buckle themselves in. and with the oldest child in the middle they can help tend to the youngest. The only problem with this setup is the 3rd row is pretty much useless for passengers. but it gives us maximum cargo. It would be too much of a hassle to use 3rd row as we would have to remove seat even though its using latch its still tedious and to do that allt he time to get passengers from 3rd row in and out is not practicle.

but for some reason i felt i still like to have access to 3rd row so i changed the setup. i put the oldest in 3rd row on passenger side. and moved rear facing booster to middle. The convertible is bulky and the split single seat in 2nd row can still slide but with resistance. This way 3rd row is still usable for other passengers and can carry full load if needed and still have a seat in middle row.

but the more i thought about it. thats a setup that will rarely be used so im going to scrap it and go back to all 3 int he middle. like i said they are still using the harness in the booster so i still need to release the seat harness sometimes because its hard to press. so it takes more time having to go back to the 3rd row to do that whie before they were all in the 2nd. and also with the youngest baby in the middle of the middle row, you have to reach over more.

The 3rd row will really be useful for the kiddos once they stop the need to use a harnessed car seat/booster and only use the seatbelt and require no intervention. Also by that time less or no strollers will be needed so although 3rd row is up youll gain cargo with no more stroller.

really love the versatility of this vehicle. Some people knock it being a minivan in an suv body, but thats actually a compliment and why we got it. because we KNEW minivan would be the best solution but didnt want a van.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I don't have a 3rd gen but in our '15 (with the bench) my 6 YO is in the 3rd row passenger side with the Graco Turbobooster (one of the small boosters out there). My 3 YO is behind the driver in a forward facing Britax Marathon (mid sized, seatbelt install). The baby is in the middle seat with the infant base/seat. There's enough room for any adult in the 2nd row behind the passenger and most adults can easily get to the other 3rd row seats if needed.

The Traverse has captains chairs, so the baby is behind the passenger in that case and any extra passengers are forced into the 3rd row.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We just became a Piloteer, having picked up our 2019 7-seater.

We have 2 young kids in Diono seats and I have placed the seats in the 2nd row captain’s chairs.

Trying to balance out the practical day2day vs having additional infrequent passengers and the access/usability of the 3rd row.

In the current configuration, the 3rd row if our additional passengers are kids... they can easily hop over the middle rest and jump.

However, for much older passengers who aren’t very mobile this setup is not practical.

Anyone have their car seats sitting in the 3rd row? Would love to hear your thoughts on how this is working for you and your fam?
Let me first say that you kind of screwed yourself over going with Captain's chairs. Since that's in the past, I do what redturbo discusses. I put one chair in the 3rd row on the passenger side...which has latch (though I don't use it now). The other chair is behind the driver. This give us two seats in the middle row for adults and then two seats in the 3rd row for kids. We have put both car seats in the third row. But they take up the entire third row, so in a 7-seater, you're now down to 2 seats.

I apologize in advance because the second part of this response is going to be a rant on Captain's chairs. One of the biggest traps in the 3 row SUV market is....Captain's chairs. At first I thought this was an intentional deception by the SUV market (because almost all the 3rd SUV makers only go "Captain's chairs" in their highest trims), but then I realized it is a paradigm adopted from mini-vans. Until this year, when Honda started offer CC's for lower level trims, now I am convinced it's a legacy paradigm that is marketed for profit. Let me explain.

We undoubtedly get CC's from mini-vans. The 3rd row SUV is relatively knew, but min-vans have been around much longer and they were the vehicles that introduced CC's. But there is a functional difference between CC's in a MV and a 3rC. The main difference is that in a MV, the 3rd row bench seat is actually commensurate with 2nd row bench seats in a 3rC. That means that if you had to stick three adults in the 3rd row of a MV, it wasn't a problem. They fit comfortably.

The other major difference is that most minivans, with the 3rd row full, can still haul all the luggage of seven passengers. You can't really do that in any mid-sized SUV. To put it another way, the MV was designed to have the 3rd row in use...essentially all the time. The 3rC was not.

So when the auto makers started making 3rC's, it was natural for them to use the CC's configuration, but they totally and self-servingly failed to advertise the downsides of CC's in the smaller 3rCs. I realize that for J_Q, and many others, it's too late. You've already bought your 7 seater. I'm sure those who have them can rationalize why CC's are better for them. But the reality is that you're giving up a ton of utility by giving up the bench, and you're getting almost nothing in return. There's no substantive advantage in going with CC's unless you have to have heated/ventilated seats in the 2nd row.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
BJ felt so passionate he needed to post it 3 times!

Honestly we love the CC setup in the Traverse and my dad's Yukon Denali whenever we borrow it... Yes we are down a seat on the Pilot overall but we have the Pilot for when we need every seat possible. It's easier for my oldest to get in and out of the 3rd row without climbing over seats or sliding it for her.

Totally agree with the reality that anything but an Expedition EL or Suburban in the 3RC segment cannot compete with a minivan for 3rd row width, which is why quite a few don't bother and offer only 2 seats in the 3rd row. We have and will continue to use all 3 spaces in the 3rd row on a pretty regular basis for both of our vehicles, when they outgrow the 3rd row in the Traverse and Pilot I will get a Suburban (probably well used, SO EXPENSIVE) and my wife will keep the Pilot for day-to-day duties. A minivan will never enter this family.

·
Registered
127 Posts
BJ felt so passionate he needed to post it 3 times!
Heh. Having trouble with the site. Every time I tried posting it, I got a message to try again later.

Honestly we love the CC setup in the Traverse and my dad's Yukon Denali whenever we borrow it
Sure, bucket seats are generally more comfortable than bench seats. But I imagine the Yukon is enjoyable for reasons that having nothing to do with the 2nd row and more to do with the size of the vehicle and perhaps luxury (depending on year and options). But kids in car seats and teenagers aren't suffering some horrible life because they have to sit on a bench. If you're putting them in the 3rd row, they are essentially on a bench.

Yes we are down a seat on the Pilot overall but we have the Pilot for when we need every seat possible. It's easier for my oldest to get in and out of the 3rd row without climbing over seats or sliding it for her.
I suppose. I'm not sure what's hard about pushing a button to get the 2nd row seat to slide forward. I have young kids and they have no issue with getting in the 3rd row. In fact, they often fight over who gets to sit in the 3rd row. Admittedly we have running boards. Without that option, the 3rd row would be more of a challenge for the younglings.

But the truth is, CC's in the 2nd row are giving up a lot more than just a seat. They give up a TON of cargo flexibility and seating options.

Totally agree with the reality that anything but an Expedition EL or Suburban in the 3RC segment cannot compete with a minivan for 3rd row width, which is why quite a few don't bother and offer only 2 seats in the 3rd row.
But most of those have to go with the 2nd row bench to have 7 seats, though some will go to six seaters (like the new Arcadia.)

We have and will continue to use all 3 spaces in the 3rd row on a pretty regular basis for both of our vehicles, when they outgrow the 3rd row in the Traverse and Pilot
What year is the Traverse and how functional is all the extra cargo space that the Traverse claims to ahve?

A minivan will never enter this family.
heh. My wife feels the same way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I managed to squeeze all 3 in the 2nd row. ***. The only problem with this setup is the 3rd row is pretty much useless for passengers. but it gives us maximum cargo. It would be too much of a hassle to use 3rd row as we would have to remove seat even though its using latch its still tedious and to do that allt he time to get passengers from 3rd row in and out is not practicle.
We only have two and we use an older version of these seats:

britax pioneer 70 replacement parts

I have, on a occasion fit three of these size car seats in the 2nd row. It isn't easy and as you note, it renders the 3rd row inaccessible via the passenger doors.

but for some reason i felt i still like to have access to 3rd row so i changed the setup. i put the oldest in 3rd row on passenger side. and moved rear facing booster to middle. The convertible is bulky and the split single seat in 2nd row can still slide but with resistance. This way 3rd row is still usable for other passengers and can carry full load if needed and still have a seat in middle row.
In the last year, we have a young adult living with us. This has forced us to use a similar set up. We put one seat in the 3rd row on the passenger side and the other behind the driver. Frequently, we have the 60 split in the 3rd row down, so that give us a ton of everyday cargo room while allowing us to put two adults in the 2nd row if needed.

Fortunately, our kids are old enough to be able to buckle and unbuckle themselves.

..but the more i thought about it. thats a setup that will rarely be used so im going to scrap it and go back to all 3 int he middle. like i said they are still using the harness in the booster so i still need to release the seat harness sometimes because its hard to press. so it takes more time having to go back to the 3rd row to do that whie before they were all in the 2nd. and also with the youngest baby in the middle of the middle row, you have to reach over more.
I've frequently moved the 3rd row seat to the 2nd row and back. It takes about 2-5 minutes when I was using latch. However, the kids are older and heavier so I've stopped using latch and am using the normal seat belt. The real downside here, is that you can't slide the 2nd row back and forward when using the seat belt.

Also by that time less or no strollers will be needed so although 3rd row is up youll gain cargo with no more stroller.
The cool think about these crossovers is that you can always put one side of the 3rd row down to fit things like stroller or kids bikes. Just secure them so they can't fall on the kid in the seat.

really love the versatility of this vehicle.
I have to agree, and IMO, the 2nd row bench is crucial to the flexibility. What's also nice is that we got a skybox so that when we travel with lots of gear we can still use the 3rd row.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Heh. Having trouble with the site. Every time I tried posting it, I got a message to try again later.

Sure, bucket seats are generally more comfortable than bench seats. But I imagine the Yukon is enjoyable for reasons that having nothing to do with the 2nd row and more to do with the size of the vehicle and perhaps luxury (depending on year and options). But kids in car seats and teenagers aren't suffering some horrible life because they have to sit on a bench. If you're putting them in the 3rd row, they are essentially on a bench.
Most of both sides of our family live locally, so we find family members of all ages/physical capabilities sitting in our vehicles. Usually my wife is the first to volunteer to go in the 3rd row and she finds it easier with the CC than with the bench being pushed forward. And for the Yukon she found it nice on our trip from MD to Disney in February because she could easily access all 3 kids (my oldest is in the 3rd row regardless of bench or CC, she can't keep her hands to herself at 6). The Traverse would have been used but the extra storage in the YXL let us bring more strollers and junk for me to carry in and out of hotels.

Not arguing that the CC is superior and everyone should have it, we like having one of each and generally prefer the CC for day-to-day duty with just our family and maybe one extra in the vehicle.

I suppose. I'm not sure what's hard about pushing a button to get the 2nd row seat to slide forward. I have young kids and they have no issue with getting in the 3rd row. In fact, they often fight over who gets to sit in the 3rd row. Admittedly we have running boards. Without that option, the 3rd row would be more of a challenge for the younglings.
Lucky you, we try to portray it as the cool place to be for my 6 year old and she hates "sitting in the trunk with all of the junk (usually a stroller)". We have running boards on both cars... I hate the look but it's critical in making it easier for the kids and great grandparents to get in and out.

But the truth is, CC's in the 2nd row are giving up a lot more than just a seat. They give up a TON of cargo flexibility and seating options.

But most of those have to go with the 2nd row bench to have 7 seats, though some will go to six seaters (like the new Arcadia.)

What year is the Traverse and how functional is all the extra cargo space that the Traverse claims to ahve?

heh. My wife feels the same way.
The Traverse is a '14, it is within .1' for width and is slightly shorter (ground to roof) than the Pilot, but it is almost a foot longer. The seats are much wider and more comfortable for my 6'3" behind, but they take that space out of the console so my console is less than half as wide as the Pilot's. The bulk of that extra foot comes in the form of additional 3rd row legroom and storage behind the 3rd row seats. One of the easier comparisons is the baby's stroller will not fit behind the Pilot's 3rd row seats when up while it will for the Traverse.

In short, it is noticeably and usefully larger if you must have the absolute largest. When you look at the cargo numbers and passenger room numbers it's actually more roomy than a Tahoe, only the Suburban is larger w/in the Chevy lineup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This has been an interesting read because we're having a hard time deciding between bench or bucket seats. If we go with the bench, we’ll probably do the EX-L instead of the Touring. We like the buckets for the comfort, third row access, and never having to hear the kids squabble about "The Line" in the middle of the seat. On the other hand, the bench gives you more seating capacity and configuration options (not to mention trim options).

At the moment, we have a 19-month-old in one of those giant Graco seats - I think it’s the forever one that redturbo referenced. We’re planning to have another next year, but stop after that. On one of our test drives, we tried folding the second row forward with the big Graco in it. It doesn’t go, regardless of whether the baby seat faces forward or back. It’s also too big to walk around it, at least when rear facing.

Child #2 will use one of those carrier-type seats that snaps into the base for the first year or so. I would imagine it’s easier to fold the seat forward with only the base in it, right? By the time he/she outgrows that, the older one will be just about ready to face forward, which makes the third row an option for her.

Obviously, having only been parents for 19 months and driven sedans up to this point, we're new to this. Does it make sense to even worry about third row access when we’re looking at using two baby/booster seats for the next several years? In other words, is it going to be a PITA to get back there regardless of which seat type we get? We’re planning to keep the car for 10-15 years, so eventually the child seats will be out of the picture, but at that point we can also just push the button to get to the third row.

Of course, there’s also comfort and The Line to think about, but I think access is the big question mark for us.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
This has been an interesting read because we're having a hard time deciding between bench or bucket seats. If we go with the bench, we’ll probably do the EX-L instead of the Touring. We like the buckets for the comfort, third row access, and never having to hear the kids squabble about "The Line" in the middle of the seat. On the other hand, the bench gives you more seating capacity and configuration options (not to mention trim options).

At the moment, we have a 19-month-old in one of those giant Graco seats - I think it’s the forever one that redturbo referenced. We’re planning to have another next year, but stop after that. On one of our test drives, we tried folding the second row forward with the big Graco in it. It doesn’t go, regardless of whether the baby seat faces forward or back. It’s also too big to walk around it, at least when rear facing.

Child #2 will use one of those carrier-type seats that snaps into the base for the first year or so. I would imagine it’s easier to fold the seat forward with only the base in it, right? By the time he/she outgrows that, the older one will be just about ready to face forward, which makes the third row an option for her.

Obviously, having only been parents for 19 months and driven sedans up to this point, we're new to this. Does it make sense to even worry about third row access when we’re looking at using two baby/booster seats for the next several years? In other words, is it going to be a PITA to get back there regardless of which seat type we get? We’re planning to keep the car for 10-15 years, so eventually the child seats will be out of the picture, but at that point we can also just push the button to get to the third row.

Of course, there’s also comfort and The Line to think about, but I think access is the big question mark for us.

It's better to consider that earlier... we had 2 sedans with 1 kid, an extended cab pickup and Rogue with 2 kids and ended up with 2 3-rows by the time the 3rd was born... would have saved money if we just went to the 3 rows first.

Another mistake we (and probably you) made is to get one of the bigger seats out there, we ended up getting some of the smallest seats each time we have bought seats since. This makes it much easier to fit people, more car seats, etc.

My recommendation if you are only getting one 3 row is to get the bench seat, we got the Traverse with CC because we already had a bench equipped vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep, somehow we ended up with 4 or 5 car seats, some of which we've left with relatives. We've been using the biggest one since she outgrew the infant seat, but at some point it would be worth playing with the others to see if they work better with the fold-down seats. We haven't really talked about what we'll use for child #2 once he/she gets too big for the infant seat, but if the second row can fold forward with a smaller seat latched in, that would probably be the best solution.

Besides, if we end up having to move them around a lot, it's a lot easier to get to the latches in these. It's more of a pain in the backseat of a sedan, where they're buried under the cushions.

We're only going to have one three-row for the foreseeable future. The car that's staying is a '14 Accord - it's my daily driver and I'm hoping to get another 10 years out of it. As long as we stop at two kids, it'll work for whenever we're not putting a huge pile of stuff in the trunk. If a third comes along... well, we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Yep, somehow we ended up with 4 or 5 car seats, some of which we've left with relatives. We've been using the biggest one since she outgrew the infant seat, but at some point it would be worth playing with the others to see if they work better with the fold-down seats. We haven't really talked about what we'll use for child #2 once he/she gets too big for the infant seat, but if the second row can fold forward with a smaller seat latched in, that would probably be the best solution.

Besides, if we end up having to move them around a lot, it's a lot easier to get to the latches in these. It's more of a pain in the backseat of a sedan, where they're buried under the cushions.

We're only going to have one three-row for the foreseeable future. The car that's staying is a '14 Accord - it's my daily driver and I'm hoping to get another 10 years out of it. As long as we stop at two kids, it'll work for whenever we're not putting a huge pile of stuff in the trunk. If a third comes along... well, we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.
Heard that, we have bought over 10 seats for our 3 kids... but now most of the grandparent's cars has at least 2 car seats in them so we can offload the oldest 2.

I'm DD'ing a 2008 Sonata since we were offered pretty much nothing on trade when we bought the Traverse... for 2 forward facing (larger) car seats, it's got tons of room. It's the width and 3rd car seat that ruins it and the ultimate lack of capacity for other stuff once you throw a stroller or two in the trunk. On my '06 Accord I had a roof rack with a cargo box (yes, a sedan with a cargo box... it looked a little silly). The cargo box really helped for a while.

·
Registered
415 Posts
if you have 2 kids and only plan to stop at 2 kids. captain seat is fine. if you are planning to have 3 kids all within close proximity of each other, the bench will win, and is more practical.

i was in the same boat. i have 3 kids. i wanted the elite and thought long and hard. at the time the 2016-2018 pilot cool features of the elite was the ventilated seats, the led headlight (which really is weak compared to 2019 full array led which is now also offered in touring) hd radio, pano roof. the headlight is a wash since it was basic single led. so the additional price paid for the elite features i liked pano roof, vented seat and hd radio didnt justify up in price for me AT THE LOSS of the bench seat. then finding out that the sound system in the pilot sucked (arguable but a lot of audiophiles would agree especially at the price paid for the claimed upgraded stereo of the touring/elite--it is underwhelming) it made the decision easier. Dont get me wrong if elite at the time was available with bench seat i wouldve got an elite because why not.

but now with the 3 kids and 3 car seats i can confidently say its more usable as a family SUV for years to come.

it is also better (the bench seat over captain chairs) if you will regularly use the 3rd row for passengers--say for in laws.

the 3rd row in the pilot is suppose to fit 3 people. it doesnt. at least comfortably. 2 really is it unless you want people to suffer. it simply isnt wide enough. its actually pretty comfortable back there and even on long rides with a max of 2 people. if i had captain chairs with 3 small kids and their car seats in play. automatically the captain chairs are taken up by 2. then 1 has to be in the 3rd row. leaving only 1 comfortable seating left for an inlaw or another adult. if 2 inlaws, just hope its not one of those big convertible bulky car seats in the 3rd row because good luck on that. best chance is if its only a booster or highback booster in the 3rd row and you can squeeze 3 back there but assuming both of the other 2 adults arent fat, big, over 5'10

with the bench, it opens a lot of possibilities. you can have all 3 car seats in the middle row, leaving the 3rd row open to fit 2 more average size adults comfortably. only hassle is accessing it with 2nd row with car seats always having to remove one, but still makes it a realty to fit for long trips.

another setup with the bench if you have 3 kids and car seats is to put 2 car seats in the middle and behind driver. and putting another car seat in the 3rd row driver side. making it very easy access all around. a bigger fatter taller adult can sit in 2nd row passenger side. but before he goes in that single seat can be moved forward to access 3rd row for child to go back and access for another adult.

also if you have a very young infant, you or your partner would be ideal to be back there with them. so say you have an infant/new born and a 1 or 2 year old who still need a lot of intervention. if you have captain chairs, you have to mount them in the 2 captain chairs and wife or husband sits in the 3rd row to monitor both of them. with bench seat, you mount both in bench and adult can be right there with them next to them, still leaving 3rd row open for more passengers and space.

the captain chairs IMO sees the most benefit once the kids are grown up and use no more car seats at all. 2 in the middle will be more comfortable giving them more space while 3rd child in the back row by themselves with a lot of room. and this is also assuming you dont have inlaws always with you. but car seats you have a for a good amount of years. so if you are just starting a family and will have 3 kids and whether or not in laws/grand parents are constantly with you or not, the bench is more ideal. OR if you have 2 kids and inlaws/grandparents are consistently wtih you, bench seat more ideal. 1 or 2 kids with 1 inlaw/grandparent or rarely have 2 inlaws/grandparents, captain chairs is fine.

and the thing with the minivan is correct. 3rd row in a minivan is as roomy and comfortable as an SUV bench 2nd row if not even more roomy yet still retaining a lot of cargo. if the current odyssey was out when we were buying our 2017 pilot, i wouldve got an odyssey because with the same mindset and scenario i have it wouldve been more ideal. and nice thing with odyssey is that magic seat that can convert to captain chairs or bench.

·
Registered
127 Posts
if you have 2 kids and only plan to stop at 2 kids. captain seat is fine. if you are planning to have 3 kids all within close proximity of each other, the bench will win, and is more practical.
Whether you're having one kid or four, the captain's chairs are a net loss in functionality. Can you get by with captain's chairs? Sure, you can get by with a sedan if you have to. But you aren't really getting anything beneficial with CC's except heated/ventilated seats (if you pay for the option).

Why do I say this? For all the reason you listed in your response. If you really need to access the 3rd row with two car seats, you can get smaller car seats, put both next to each other, and then push a button to get to the third row. There's really zero advantage for getting CC's beyond the aforemention seat specific climate control...and honestly, if the argument is that people can get along fine without a bench, you can make the same argument about heated/ventilated seats in the 2nd row.

the 3rd row in the pilot is suppose to fit 3 people. it doesnt. at least comfortably.
The 3rd row absolutely fits three adults. "Comfortably" is a subjective term. None of the crossovers I've been in have "comfortable" 3rd row seats compared to a minivan or the 2nd row. Almost all of them have a high floor and your knees are above your waists. But there is absolutely room to fit three adults across as I have done it. We've even had that monster Britax seat in the 3rd row with two female adults as well. Do I want to travel from coast to coast in the 3rd row with two other adults? No, but that's going to be true for any just about every crossover in this segment and probably some minivans.

But what is true is that if you have to fit three adults in the back, you'd much rather put them in the 2nd row than the 3rd row. So a bench seat gives you a 2 - 3 - 2 options with the last 2 being the two carseats you move from the 2nd row to the 3rd thereby gaining use of the 2nd row for three adults.. You can't do that with CC's. So if that was your underlying point, I 100% agree with it.

I also think you are spot on with much of your analysis and breakdown.

if the current odyssey was out when we were buying our 2017 pilot, i wouldve got an odyssey because with the same mindset and scenario i have it wouldve been more ideal. and nice thing with odyssey is that magic seat that can convert to captain chairs or bench.
The deal breaker for me was that there was no 4WD Honda minivan. Had there been, I might have been able to convince my wife...maybe.

But the truth is, with 2 kids we don't need the room of a minivan 99% of the time. And for that 1% of the time, we have a Yakima Skybox 21 which totally provides the missing cargo space.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts