Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Pilot came in 10th and the Passport came in 5th.

best-midsize-suv
Strange article......interesting how a Wrangler not only got on the list but came in at #8 in the field of 20. Tough to imagine SUV shoppers seriously cross-shopping the Wrangler versus the current crop of soft-roaders. I bought my '16 Wrangler as a "fun" vehicle and know what I was getting into and despite all the negativity it has been reliable 🤞despite its thirst for gas and water 💦
Car Water Land vehicle Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Something in the review I noticed was that both Hondas were the only ones that garnered any praise for being dependable.

Pilot: "Stylish, useful, trouble-free ride keeping everyone safe."
Passport: ".....appreciated its sold reliability and versatility."

Can we conclude all the others aren't as reliable? None got any mention of same. So the grass isn't really greener all ye complainers??

Does the Passport really cost more than the Pilot and what sense does it make for the two to be within $240 of each other?
And does the Passport really have 33 cubic feet more cargo space than the Pilot?
And the Passport only gets 25mpg?
Huh? Huh? and Huh? I thought the Passport was a Pilot Mini Me...? No?

Pilot:
• Base price: $33,725
• Engine: 280-hp 3.5L V-6
• Cargo space: 17 cubic feet
Passport:
• Base price: $33,965
• Cargo space: 50 cubic feet

I see HP wars are over and now it's screen size wars.

So, is everyone rushing out to get a Telluride?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something in the review I noticed was that both Hondas were the only ones that garnered any praise for being dependable.

Can we conclude all the others aren't as reliable? None got any mention of same. So the grass isn't really greener all ye complainers??

Does the Passport really cost more than the Pilot and what sense does it make for the two to be within $240 of each other?
And does the Passport really have 33 cubic feet more cargo space than the Pilot?

Pilot:
Passport:

Technically yes, practically no. The big difference you are seeing is that they measured the cargo space for both with all seats in play. When the 3rd row seat is up in the Pilot it has a much smaller cargo area than the Passport. Keep in mind the Passport is only 6" +/- shorter than the Pilot, but only has two seats, providing much more full time cargo area.

As for the slight price difference. I think that if you look at the lowest grade of Passport, the Sport, you would find that feature wise it has a few more features than the LX. However if you look at the Elites. the Pilot Elite base price is $48,720 vs the Passport Elite base price of $44,180. There are no options for things like the RES in the Passport.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
578 Posts

Pilot:
Passport:

I've said it before the Korean twins are nice.... but having owned and knowing family and friends with Hyundai and Kia.... the first couple years you won't notice.

It's after 3-4 years where the quality (or lack of) starts to fade with the plastics, trim pieces and paint.

If you lease or only keep a vehicle for a few years, you probably won't notice.

If you have diamond hands ... you might be disappointed especially if you have attention to detail with your vehicles.

Car and Driver seems to only really appreciative the newest redesign.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,317 Posts
Typically the cargo space is quoted based on behind the third row when fitted with one. That number always sucks versus the space behind the second row.

Media is definitely in love with Kia and its Hyundai brothers. Especially the Telluride and Palisade. Locally the Kia dealers are adding $$$ to the price of Tellurides.

·
Administrator
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't see this as some big in depth review. To me it is more of a here they are folks. If you are looking for a new midsized SUV then here are the good and the bad for each model. More of an article to make it easier to pick vehicles that fit an individual needs.

I love my Passport and find it a better vehicle than the Pilot that I had. But then there are only two of us, so we don't need seating for 8 or a RES. I would definitely not recommend a Passport for my Odyssey owning neighbors who have 5 kids. For them even a Pilot would be too small with regards to cargo space. I know that the wife has eyed my Passport a lot as well as the 2013 Pilot Touring we had, but neither fits their needs.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Technically yes, practically no. The big difference you are seeing is that they measured the cargo space for both with all seats in play. When the 3rd row seat is up in the Pilot it has a much smaller cargo area than the Passport. Keep in mind the Passport is only 6" +/- shorter than the Pilot, but only has two seats, providing much more full time cargo area.

As for the slight price difference. I think that if you look at the lowest grade of Passport, the Sport, you would find that feature wise it has a few more features than the LX. However if you look at the Elites. the Pilot Elite base price is $48,720 vs the Passport Elite base price of $44,180. There are no options for things like the RES in the Passport.
I noted they both have the same 3.5 V6 rated at 280hp, yet they show 25mpg for the Passport. Isn't it lighter than the Pilot? I though the new Pilots are getting close to that for mileage.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I've said it before the Korean twins are nice.... but having owned and knowing family and friends with Hyundai and Kia.... the first couple years you won't notice.

It's after 3-4 years where the quality (or lack of) starts to fade with the plastics, trim pieces and paint.

If you have diamond hands ... you might be disappointed especially if you have attention to detail with your vehicles.

Agree, reliability short term is different than "after the warranty expires" which to many is more important.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I don't see this as some big in depth review. To me it is more of a here they are folks. If you are looking for a new midsized SUV then here are the good and the bad for each model. More of an article to make it easier to pick vehicles that fit an individual needs.

I love my Passport and find it a better vehicle than the Pilot that I had. But then there are only two of us, so we don't need seating for 8 or a RES. I would definitely not recommend a Passport for my Odyssey owning neighbors who have 5 kids. For them even a Pilot would be too small with regards to cargo space. I know that the wife has eyed my Passport a lot as well as the 2013 Pilot Touring we had, but neither fits their needs.
As long as she's just eyed the cars.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Typically the cargo space is quoted based on behind the third row when fitted with one. That number always sucks versus the space behind the second row.

Media is definitely in love with Kia and its Hyundai brothers. Especially the Telluride and Palisade. Locally the Kia dealers are adding $$$ to the price of Tellurides.
I'm not that attracted to the Kia and Hyundai cars, and I'm not sure why. Charging over MSRP might be part of it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

Diamond hands? Holding on to a (lower quality) car too long?

·
Registered
9,743 Posts

OTOH, if you want a vehicle that you can own and drive for the next 20 years ...

·
Administrator
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I noted they both have the same 3.5 V6 rated at 280hp, yet they show 25mpg for the Passport. Isn't it lighter than the Pilot? I though the new Pilots are getting close to that for mileage.
Base model Pilot curb weight 2wd: 3982 lbs
Base model Passport curb weight 2wd: 3959 lbs

23 lb difference isn't going to make much difference with gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Base model Pilot curb weight 2wd: 3982 lbs
Base model Passport curb weight 2wd: 3959 lbs

23 lb difference isn't going to make much difference with gas mileage.
Hmmm ... being a 2 rower and shorter, I would have thought the difference would be bigger. I guess I'd rather have a Pilot and just keep the third row folded down and have the extra space if/when i needed it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Even the Ford Exploder beat the Pilot ??
A friend of ours just got one and loves it. Of course they lease new cars every two years so I don't know how often it needs fixin' or will last after they turn it in. For a Ford it's amazingly nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also just reviewed the consumer reports best of list and the Pilot is in 6th place below:
1) Telluride
2) Palisade
3) Highlander
4) Highlander Hybrid
5) CX9

I don’t regret passing on the Kias and Hyundais but if I was to do it again I may opt for a Toyota but again no regrets sticking with the Honda.

As for the new fords, I did give some serious thought to a new Explorer ST but I couldn’t justify it as I planned on keeping this vehicle for more than a few years and the resale difference between Ford and Honda is as we know worlds different so nice/fun to drive (ST) would’ve costed lots more down there road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts