Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to go to the beach today. This will be the first time that I leave my precious Pilot unattended for an extended period of time in an unfamilar place like work, grocery store, bowling center etc.

So I decide to test the alarm to be sure it works. I roll down the window. Set the alarm, unlock the door, open it up and nothing happens.... Hmmmm... this is not good. Then I remember my fleet salesguy saying something about it taking 10 seconds to arm or something so I reset the alarm and wait.

Then I unlock the door, nothing, open the door BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! blink, blink, blink... You folks that have commented about the Pilot horn being wimpy obviously haven't listened to it in a garage with all the doors closed (which I did intentionally to prevent disturbing my neighbors)

So, anyway, great my alarm works. O.K. that's quite enough now I think you can shut up. Just like the alarm on my Accord (which bit the dust somewhere around 150k miles) I push the big button on the alarm thingy expecting it to go off but it doesn't. Ook Oh!! I try again with no luck. I get in the car and start the engine and the thing still keeps beeping away!!

I frantically grab my manual out of my glove compartment and start searching the index. I go to page 79 and start scanning for help. About this time I'm getting a heck of a headache so I go into the house and let the thing wail away on its own.

By the time I get done reading the whole section and finding no help the thing has timed itself off. I now in a calmer frame of mind read again but still no help. I search Honda Pilot .org... Don't find anything. I take ibuprfen for my headache and go to the beach.

When I get to the beach I am real lucky and in an otherwise crowded parking lot I find a spot right on the end of the row with one of those triangular shaped half spots to the left of it. I park partially in the half spot to... ahem... give the person parked to the right of me more room to open their door (ain't I a sweetie :D ).

Well, when I get back from the beach guess what I see? A van parked right next to me in the little half spot. Oh well, no harm done. The Pilot is ding free for now.

Anyway, how the heck do I shut the alarm off if I accidentally set it off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
florida_guy said:


[ S N I P P E D ]

Anyway, how the heck do I shut the alarm off if I accidentally set it off?
florida_guy: Sticking your key into the ignition switch and turning it to the "ON" position should turn the alarm off... :4: :17:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: Car Alarm Fiasco

kemosabe said:
florida_guy: Sticking your key into the ignition switch and turning it to the "ON" position should turn the alarm off... :4: :17:
There you go using logic and common sense again.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Car Alarm Fiasco

kemosabe said:
florida_guy: Sticking your key into the ignition switch and turning it to the "ON" position should turn the alarm off... :4: :17:
I tried that. That didn't work so I tried starting the car. That didn't work either. Nothing in the manual talks about this. I guess I'll have to try it again but I don't think 11:30 p.m. is the best time. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my3kids said:
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3800

I searched for a post where I where I had a problem with my alarm/lock system. The sequence to stop the alarm is printed among the answers. That was a little different problem, but when I accidently got the alarm going another time, I remembered what I did for the lock problem and it worked.
Thanks. I will try kemosabe's suggestion first and if that doesn't work I will adapt this to my situation and try it...
--------------
Finally, the service manager told me to do this....and I hope I'm getting it in the right sequence.

Take keys out of ignition(they already were)
Lock car with the remote while inside the car
Put key in ignition and start the car
Turn off the car
Unlock car with remote and exit
Relock from outside the car with remote

That would only work after the alarm had finished its unbelievely loud sequence of honking. Prior to that, the engine wouldn't kill the alarm and the remote wouldn't operate.
------------
... later today when I'm in the mood for a good headache. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
when our alarm went off i just remember hitting buttons on the remote and it stopped. Never stopped to figure out the exact sequence, but i must have hit it in there somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Putting the keys in will not stop the alarm, oddly enough. I've tried it a couple of times. Maybe mine is defective, but I would have had to drive through the neighborhood with that thing blaring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
running the engine in the garage with the doors closed while sitting in the car reading the manual is a good way to get yourself killed. Figure out how to uplug the horn and next time do that instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
florida_guy said:
Then I unlock the door, nothing, open the door BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! blink, blink, blink... You folks that have commented about the Pilot horn being wimpy obviously haven't listened to it in a garage with all the doors closed (which I did intentionally to prevent disturbing my neighbors)
I did almost the same thing, and I also got a headache real fast! :eek:

Simply press the "UNLOCK" button on your remote once. Nothing else works (except disconnecting the battery).

MarkB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
The difference between the "panic alarm" and the "intrusion alarm".

Page 85 of the manual indicates that the Panic Alarm is triggered from the key fob. The Panic Alarm can be canceled by pressing "any button on the remote transmitter". I wonder if Panic can be canceled, since it is owner intitated, but the Intrusion alarm has to just time out.

I couldn't actually find any instructions for canceling the intrusion alarm. But, all intrusion alarms have to have a timeout (usually 3 minutes or less) to satisfy city code enforcement regulations.

If anyone feels like testing their system, try turning the ignition to "ON", but not to "Start" and wait. Let us know if this works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Car Alarm Fiasco

Mark B said:

Simply press the "UNLOCK" button on your remote once. Nothing else works (except disconnecting the battery).

MarkB
Yes. It took me almost a minute to figure that out after putting the key in the ignition and starting the car, which didn't stop the alarm.

Also, a few times I inadvertantly pressed the PANIC button and I hear beeping coming from the garage. There's a delay, so I press it again and it doesn't go off (but it actually does). So, I press it again, and it sounds as if it goes off (but the second press turned it on again) and a second later it goes on. Drive's ya' nuts.
:3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mackie said:
running the engine in the garage with the doors closed while sitting in the car reading the manual is a good way to get yourself killed. Figure out how to uplug the horn and next time do that instead.
Thanks for the warning Mackie. I am aware of that risk and as soon as I saw that starting the engine did not shut off the alarm I immediately shut off the engine and THEN went for the manual. I know I didn't mention that yesterday and that certainly would be important to tell me if I didn't know it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Car Alarm Fiasco

Mark B said:
I did almost the same thing, and I also got a headache real fast! :eek:

Simply press the "UNLOCK" button on your remote once. Nothing else works (except disconnecting the battery).

MarkB
That's the ticket Mark B.! Thanks. I was pressing the big button yesterday. Just tested it and the unlock button worked immediately. Thanks.

Not sure I like the part about the horn going off when the battery is disconnected though. With the alarm in my Accord disconnecting the battery while the alarm was armed would actually cause the alarm to go off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Car Alarm Fiasco

florida_guy said:
That's the ticket Mark B.! Thanks. I was pressing the big button yesterday. Just tested it and the unlock button worked immediately. Thanks.

Not sure I like the part about the horn going off when the battery is disconnected though. With the alarm in my Accord disconnecting the battery while the alarm was armed would actually cause the alarm to go off.
Glad I could help!

Sounds like the alarm in your Accord had a battery backup. The Pilot's alarm doesn't have a battery backup.

I accidentally left my interior lights on overnight, and my battery was almost dead in the morning. (The interior lights switch should have a timer on it.) After I disconnected my battery and recharged it, I reconnected the battery cable and the alarm went off with my head under the hood, and the garage door closed! :eek:

After jumping about 3 feet, I pulled the cable back off, and eventually found it written down somewhere in the owner's manual how to turn the alarm off. I put on my hearing protectors, re-connected the cable, and pressed the UNLOCK button as fast as I could!

MarkB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: Re: Re: Car Alarm Fiasco

Mark B said:
Glad I could help!

Sounds like the alarm in your Accord had a battery backup. The Pilot's alarm doesn't have a battery backup.

I accidentally left my interior lights on overnight, and my battery was almost dead in the morning. (The interior lights switch should have a timer on it.) After I disconnected my battery and recharged it, I reconnected the battery cable and the alarm went off with my head under the hood, and the garage door closed! :eek:

After jumping about 3 feet, I pulled the cable back off, and eventually found it written down somewhere in the owner's manual how to turn the alarm off. I put on my hearing protectors, re-connected the cable, and pressed the UNLOCK button as fast as I could!

MarkB
Apparently that is the difference. I'm not too fond of the short cuts Honda took just to say they have an alarm. Too many weak links.

I noticed last night that the interior lights go off on a timer but if you have the hatch open that the light for that does not go off.

I really looked hard for an answer to this in the manual and never found one. Anyway, glad I know the answer is easy now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Car Alarm Fiasco

florida_guy said:
Apparently that is the difference. I'm not too fond of the short cuts Honda took just to say they have an alarm. Too many weak links.

I noticed last night that the interior lights go off on a timer but if you have the hatch open that the light for that does not go off.

I really looked hard for an answer to this in the manual and never found one. Anyway, glad I know the answer is easy now.
Very true about the short cuts. I was a little surprised to find out that the hood has an alarm switch - If the hood is open, the alarm can not be set.

Thanks, I didn't know about the hatch light. The interior light on the bottom part of the front doors is the same way - no timer. But at least those lights are low power. The interior lights in the hand-grabs above the doors add up to about 50 watts, which is why my battery died.

MarkB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Car Alarm Fiasco

Mark B said:
Very true about the short cuts. I was a little surprised to find out that the hood has an alarm switch - If the hood is open, the alarm can not be set.
Well, that's some reassurance. That makes it pretty hard to disconnect the battery without setting off the alarm then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly you can only turn off the alarm if you have the remote with you? Is that correct? I hope not as I don't like keeping the remote in my pocket (too much bulk, the HUGE key is bad enough).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
max_501 said:
If I'm reading this correctly you can only turn off the alarm if you have the remote with you? Is that correct? I hope not as I don't like keeping the remote in my pocket (too much bulk, the HUGE key is bad enough).
Good point!

That's one neat thing I've noticed about the Pilot. Even if you lock the doors manually without using the key or the alarm thingy the alarm will arm.

Based on my experience you are right. If your alarm went off and you didn't have the alarm whatchmacalit you'd just have to wait for it to reset.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top