Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Piloteers, my wife got involved in an accident yesterday and our 1-year old Pilot got a bent rear axle and deployed side airbags. Plus damages in the right side doors (one is not opening at all). Thanks god no one was injured. The car was towed and insurance is already taking care of the case. Based on the picture (and I know you are not an expert nor the pictures provide a good view of the damage), but any thoughts if this can be recovered or will be considered a total loss?

Appreciate your thoughts and this post is only to see if someone had similar situation. I will patiently wait for the insurance claim to be closed.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Just a guess here from the description, probably totaled. I would find it hard to believe that the unibody frame is not bent but anything is possible. Straight frame 50/50. Bent frame my vote goes for totaled. Either way insurance should cover it.

Glad to hear no one was hurt. Vehicles can be replaced. People not so much.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Determining whether a car is salvageable is pretty much up to the insurance company and their accountants. You'll probably have to fight for the full value if it's totalled.

I'm glad your family is safe. For reference, are you able to describe the crash? Do you know how fast the other car was going? It looks like the rear axle took the brunt of the collision. If it weren't for the rear wheel, I would have guessed that you merely slammed into a guard rail. No glass broken either.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Just the toe-in on your rear tire is enough to convince me it's totaled, unfortunately.

More important than that is that the Pilot performed its ultimate safety function and no one was hurt, fortunately.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
I would not want that vehicle if insurance wants it fix. But with the value of the Pilot around $30K, the damage or repair cost has to be more than 2/3 vs value of car for it to be deemed total loss.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
It’s possible you make money off of this Pilot. Depending when you bought it and what you paid for it, it may be worth almost what you paid for it.

I know people are telling you to be prepared to fight with insurance, I’ll just share with you that the one time I had a car totaled I was SHOCKED they gave so much money. They even added value for $900 Michelin tires that were installed 20k miles prior to the accident as well as a transmission rebuild (which of course doesn’t add anything to the value). Maybe I’m spoiled, just don’t go in expecting to fight.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
It’s possible you make money off of this Pilot. Depending when you bought it and what you paid for it, it may be worth almost what you paid for it.

I know people are telling you to be prepared to fight with insurance, I’ll just share with you that the one time I had a car totaled I was SHOCKED they gave so much money. They even added value for $900 Michelin tires that were installed 20k miles prior to the accident as well as a transmission rebuild (which of course doesn’t add anything to the value). Maybe I’m spoiled, just don’t go in expecting to fight.
Not sure if spoiled would be the word so much as having insurance through a quality insurance company. Had the same thing happen with both a totaled vehicle as well as a severely storm damaged house a few years ago. Both times the money they paid was surprisingly high. We have always been insured with one of the long time name brand insurance companies.

Not sure how the barely providing minimum insurance companies work with their customers.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
Not sure if spoiled would be the word so much as having insurance through a quality insurance company. Had the same thing happen with both a totaled vehicle as well as a severely storm damaged house a few years ago. Both times the money they paid was surprisingly high. We have always been insured with one of the long time name brand insurance companies.

Not sure how the barely providing minimum insurance companies work with their customers.
For sure. Insurance in GA is very high due to a lot of uninsured drivers. I'm sure I could get it much cheaper even through one of the well known companies, but at this point I've been treated so well, I don't feel the need to switch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It probably does depend on your insurance. I've had 3 cars totalled in my lifetime. Two got the bottom of the KBB value, which seemed fair for those vehicles at the time. My Colorado Xtreme was lowballed and I had to convince the assessor otherwise...it was a about a $3k difference...the Xtreme was with Geico. However, what was nice with them was that they covered a bunch of costs (new plates, taxes, etc) on the purchase of a replacement vehicle.
However, a friend of mine about 5 years ago had a brand new Chevy sedan totalled about 3 days after he bought it. According to him, insurance wouldn't cover the purchase price so he had to take the lady that T-boned him to court. Don't know who was the insurance.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Why all the hush-hush? I'll concede I haven't reread the forum rules in a while, but is there anything that says when we're satisfied or unsatisfied with insurance companies we shouldn't name names?

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
Why all the hush-hush? I'll concede I haven't reread the forum rules in a while, but is there anything that says when we're satisfied or unsatisfied with insurance companies we shouldn't name names?
Why? Because I don't believe you have a Providence Farm insurance company in Canada and I know you don't qualify for USAA. :LOL:

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Why? Because I don't believe you have a Providence Farm insurance company in Canada and I know you don't qualify for USAA. :LOL:
Perhaps not, but I bet the premiums are actuarially much lower up here than what ya need to pay fer yer Kansas bulls. :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey all, got the appraisal from the repair shop - $20k and the insurance company will contact me early next week. But based on this I believe Travelers will move forward with the repairs, as it represents around 60% of the current car value. The repair shop said that the costs may be more depending on what they will find out plus at least 30 days for the work.
Honestly I'm not comfortable driving a car that had this kind of accident but it is what it is. Was hoping the car got totaled. I will update you on the insurance's decision. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Oh man, I hope your repair shop is good. Even so, after repairs are done I'd have it inspected by a reputable third party.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Many states have standards that trigger total losses. Travelers should really invest up to five hours tearing the car down to look for the full extent of the damage. Hidden damage can add thousands to the repair making it uneconomically repairable.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts