• Let\'s send Honda their radios back!!

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I don't consider myself an audiophile, I can tell when something doesn't sound correct. Stations have static and no matter how much we adjust the controls, we just can't seem to get it right. Funniest thing, listening to AM is fine. My husband will be taking the Pilot to the dealership on Monday (he's got a better appreciation for music and can discuss treble & bass) and I'm shopping Crutchfield's after I post this message.

Has anybody else replaced their radio? If so, with what? Did it improve the reception? Or do the speaker and antenna also need to be replaced? I know a Pilot owner has, I've the radio on E-Bay already.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Don't have a reception problem here but there has been several discussions here. Have you checked out the Audio/Electronics forum? Some threads there have smae problem as you. Maybe some help there! Good luck - that'd drive me nuts too! :bonk:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey, I'm in the process of changing the Head unit, four speakers, and the sub. Makes me crazy that Honda puts in stereo systems that are totally crap. Sure if you want to buy the MDX, you will be rewarded with the Bose system. I just wasn't prepared to spend another $5000.00 to do so.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I find the stereo to sound fine, lots of bass, and good sound... The Radio too me could be better.. Seems to not be as clear as other vehicles that I have owned, its not crappy though.

One thing I surprised me was that the volume control is does not go that loud. The Max is actually about 3/4 the amount on other cars I have owned. Not sure if this is purposely done so you don't blow your speakers.

I find some FM stations staticy but only some. AM is clear but I find the sound muffled.

I don't know, maybe I am just being picky.

AS LONG AS MY PILOTS STARTS!!! I will be happy.. if not, Honda will have to find a fix...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just finished swapping out the speakers this weekend and install the Infinity 652s. This makes a pretty big difference.

The headunit is OK. I've personally been very happy with the reception quality. I really think Honda watched the $$ they spent and designed a system that would sell cars (think boomy bass).

Start with replacing the 4 door speakers - it's fairly cheap to do. You'll still find the sub to be slow and muddy, but it really helps.

The headunit is also very easy to replace, but the sub becomes a little trickier to drive.

Agreed that it's not a great system, but I do think it's pretty average. Too bad Honda doesn't offer and upgraded version. I really think it's a cost issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hipcheck_now said:
I just finished swapping out the speakers this weekend and install the Infinity 652s. This makes a pretty big difference.

The headunit is OK. I've personally been very happy with the reception quality. I really think Honda watched the $$ they spent and designed a system that would sell cars (think boomy bass).

Start with replacing the 4 door speakers - it's fairly cheap to do. You'll still find the sub to be slow and muddy, but it really helps.

The headunit is also very easy to replace, but the sub becomes a little trickier to drive.

Agreed that it's not a great system, but I do think it's pretty average. Too bad Honda doesn't offer and upgraded version. I really think it's a cost issue.
I agree. Maybe my comment about the system being crap is abit strong, but I'm dissappointed with it's overall performance. Personnally, I feel there is no mid-range and the bass is very boomy, not deep and rich. I am fussy about the sound quality, and I will be replacing the head unit, speakers and sub.

I put in an aftermarket sub and new speakers in my previous Accord. I will re-use the Sub and amplifier. At least I won't have to pay for them again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
gopilot said:
I find the stereo to sound fine, lots of bass, and good sound... The Radio too me could be better.. Seems to not be as clear as other vehicles that I have owned, its not crappy though.
I agree with Gopilot, good summary. I've resorted to listening only to CDs and an occassional AM traffic report. I might start by replacing the 4 door speakers like Hipcheck_now suggests.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trying to replace radio

My Husband has a fairly nice radio in his Accord but when I got my Pilot I realized how nice his actually was! My radio is terrible! I have tried to replace it twice now but nobody has a harness to fit...(Pilot being to new and all). So I have to wait a month or so. Also, the techs at the electronics stores could not find a sub to fit in the space provided. Go figure.javascript:smilie(':rolleyes:')

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
ejpnyc said:
While I don't consider myself an audiophile, I can tell when something doesn't sound correct. Stations have static and no matter how much we adjust the controls, we just can't seem to get it right. Funniest thing, listening to AM is fine. My husband will be taking the Pilot to the dealership on Monday (he's got a better appreciation for music and can discuss treble & bass) and I'm shopping Crutchfield's after I post this message.

There seems to be a few of us out here definitely having problems with radio reception. In my case, both AM and FM reception is generally weak and contains a lot of static. I've taken to listening to CD's most of the time.

On the other hand, the speaker sound is about what I expected--on a scale of 1 (Horrible) to 10 (Excellent), about a 6, or Just Good Enough. While I sure wouldn't mind having audiophile-quality sound, to me, the full effect would largely be wasted due to wind/road noise. Like some others, I find the bass somewhat boomy and muddy, and the mid-range frequently sounds too strident. Nevertheless, I'm fairly satisfied with how most CDs sound in the less-than-ideal car listening environment. :p

·
Registered
409 Posts
Speaker Install..?

I was reading the reviews of the Infinity 652s as described earlier in this thread and saw a few comments of having to cut larger holes to get the magnet areas to fit.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

I really think my wonderful wife may have a fit if she see's me with any kind of cutting tool near our beautiful "Pilot."

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only cutting needed is to the factory brackets, not the Pilot itself. The Infinity speakers have a crossover built in that needs a little more room. You basically chop the white plastic brackets from the pilot to fit the speaker. It's not too bad to do.

As I said, you are not actually cutting the Pilot body or molding.

·
Registered
152 Posts
hipcheck_now
What is the exact Infinity are you refering to? Is it the Infinity Kappa 62.5i? I will order them from ebay if you would let me know which exact model. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Infinity Reference 652. I got them from Crutchfield for $69 a pair. Crutchfield included the wiring for them (plugs into harness), brackets (I tossed 'em), and a handy installation book for the Pilot.

The tweeters on the 652s can be rotated for directional sound. I rotated them up, I now wish I would have rotated them down. I think the sound is a tad bright.

Some folks have used Bass Blockers with them so reduce the boom. I have the Bass Blockers but didn't install them. I really think the boomy sound is from the pathetic dirty sub and the head unit.

Overall the sound now isn't bad, probably where it should have started!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Trying to replace radio

mkey said:
My Husband has a fairly nice radio in his Accord but when I got my Pilot I realized how nice his actually was! My radio is terrible! I have tried to replace it twice now but nobody has a harness to fit...(Pilot being to new and all). So I have to wait a month or so. Also, the techs at the electronics stores could not find a sub to fit in the space provided. Go figure.javascript:smilie(':rolleyes:')
Here is a link to eBay - they have the harness there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3005193757&category=32812

·
Registered
41 Posts
No real problems with the doors. The Crutchfield instructions are very good. It goes quick after you've done one door.

The hardest step for me was reattaching the door handles, it's delicate to do, but not terrible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts