Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My first DIY timing belt, water pump tensioner, idler on 2013 Pilot. Was making fairly steady progress until installing the new belt. It is too tight to get it on. I kept the tension on it from the crank to the rear cam, but just don't have enough slack to get it over the tensioner. I have double checked everything, including number of teeth on both the old and new belt, which are the same. What an I missing!?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd compare it to the old belt to make sure you have the right belt. Which brand kit did you buy? You should be putting on the belt from the crank having it really tight and working to the right so that the slack ends up on the left side right by the tensioner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using an Aisin kit from amazon. Yes, kept everything tight fron crank counterclockwise to the tensioner, where all the slack is. Just can't quite get it over the tensioner pulley. I compared the belts and they have the same number of teeth.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Aisin timing belt kit should be TKH-002. The Mitsuboshi timing belt should be CD329. I assume this is the kit you received?

The grenade pin should still be in the tensioner. With all 3 timing marks verified, I place the belt over the rear cam pulley holding it on with my left hand, then loop under the water pump and over the front cam, ensuring that there is no slack between. Then loop around the Idler pulley and around the crankshaft gear. There should be no slack on the right side at all. Once this is verified, timing marks checked and rechecked, install tensioner pulley and pull the pin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, all. Nail Grease, this is the same kit and part numbers I have. The grenade pin is in the tensioner and it is compressed. I'm just puzzled because I have watched several videos and they don't have this problem. I have a night's rest and fresh brain so will take another look after breakfast.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Thank you, all. Nail Grease, this is the same kit and part numbers I have. The grenade pin is in the tensioner and it is compressed. I'm just puzzled because I have watched several videos and they don't have this problem. I have a night's rest and fresh brain so will take another look after breakfast.
Sounds like a plan. I often install the tensioner pulley after the belt is in place. Just make sure no extra slack is between the two cams and down the right side. 👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did this last week on 2014 Pilot. I had the same problem starting at crank and going counter clockwise. Seemed so easy on the videos.

I ended up getting it done per Nail Grease method. Start with rear cam pulley and go clock wise. It is much easier to maintain tension around water pump pulley from the front cam as there is no "lip" around the edge of front cam pulley. I also used spring clamps on cam pulleys to hold belt it place.

Install tensioner after belt is on. (2014 has an oil pressure sensor you should remove to make it easier to install tensioner).

I also removed the metal guard around crank gear. Put it back on once belt is on to hold belt in place around crank.

Double check marks and pull pin.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Yep, thanks, did all that, runs nice and smooth. A good feeling for a newbie.
Your first timing belt water pump job?
Nice! 😃👍
Banana Dance Time!

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
159 Posts
Glad it all worked out. You can also sometimes leave the belt in the sun for a little while to let it warm up and loosen a bit. Especially, in cold climates where the belts shrink a bit when cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad it all worked out. You can also sometimes leave the belt in the sun for a little while to let it warm up and loosen a bit. Especially, in cold climates where the belts shrink a bit when cold.
Gotta do the banana dance. Actually, I think I did it but didn’t know that’s what they called it. Nice suggestion about leaving it in the sun.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Never heard of leaving a timing belt in the sun. Guess I don't have that problem in S Texas.
¯\(ツ)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts