Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have been having issues with a front-end clunking noise for a while too -- see video from this morning here. The front shocks were replaced at 135,000 miles, and sway bar links and two problematic motor mounts were done at 170,000. (I have 178,000 currently.)

The shops I have been to can't seem to pinpoint this clunk. It only happens when going over surfaces unevenly (like one wheel over a speed bump at a time, as in the video). If I were to go over the speed bump with both front wheels at the same time, it won't make the noise. It is also very evident at speeds under 30mph on an uneven road surface, but once I'm traveling faster than that the noise disappears.

Is it possible that the shop didn't replace the sway bar bushings when they did the links? This seems to have all the markers of bad sway bar bushings, if I had to guess.
Sounds like you have the exact symptoms I had. Definitely seems like a sway bar issue. I agree with the others, the bushings will look normal but when you compare them to the new ones, you can see the wear. In my case, the sway bar end links were not tight enough and were still clunking. I crawled under the car a little and had my son rock it pretty hard from side to side. When he did this, I could see and feel the play in the end link by putting my hand on it (or the sway bar) as he rocked. I tightened them up very snug and the clunking went away.
Doug

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
35 Posts
Sway bar bushings were replaced yesterday and it is now completely quiet over bumps! I owe this site for that -- most shops were unable to find the source of the clunking.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Don't overlook the brake calipers. I have owned a 2008 Odyssey since new and it has always had a light clunking noise, from both sides when going slow over uneven pavement or small bumps. After much searching and troubleshooting I finally found that it was the brake calipers and is normal. To test for this, while you're driving over these small bumps and getting the clunking, just lightly touch the brakes. If the clunking goes away you've found the problem. I've seen many people replace parts unnecessarily on both Pilots and Odys for this very issue, only to find there was nothing wrong. It's just the calipers moving on the slide pins.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts