Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Pilot and I wonder what system others use to transport their canoes or kayaks on top of their Pilots? I'm looking at the Yakima Lowrider or Q Towers. Anybody use these?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too will need such equipment. Right now (Wrangler) I can easily put 2 kayaks side by side, top down, on the roll bars of the Jeep.

It looks like it won't be easy getting them onto the Pilot, and they may have to mount on their sides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been pondering the same question. I didn't get any response on this forum. I kind of get the feeling most of the owners on this forum don't really want to use their vehicles. :)

Check out http://www.acuramdx.org Do a search on yakima. There are quite a few posts about carrying things on the roof as well as various rack options.

For carrying a canoe on the Pilot, the best option looks like a Yakima Q tower on the front and a Yakima low rider on the back. This would allow the canoe to be centered over the vehicle and have a wide enough spread on the cross bars to secure it safely.

If anyone has any pictures of the Yakima Q towers on a pilot, I would be interested in seeing them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Ultimate "Roof" Rack?

I'm seriously considering one of these things given the weight limits of the Pilot rack. Of course, I'll have to add $500 for the hitch to the price... <p> Any experience or opinions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like that trailer idea. It would have so many uses. The only downside would be decreased maneuverability in tight offroad places.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could not wait any longer. Had to get the kayaks to the water. Just ordered a set of Yakima lowriders and a pair of Q towers. When I get them I will let you know how they work.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I use the Yakima Low Riders and round bars with bike racks in the summer, and a ski rack in the winter. A buddy of mine uses Yakima accessories to tote his kayaks around on his roof, and speaks very highly of them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got and installed Yakima low rider cross bars on the factory rack and Yakima Q tower for the front. This set-up spread the distance between the two cross bars from 3.5 feet on the factory rack to 5.5 feet using the Q tower up front. It seems to give a lot better balance and it allows me to push my kayaks further forward. Just overall better balance and no dramatic over hang in the rear.

·
Registered
385 Posts
silver wolf said:
Just got and installed Yakima low rider cross bars on the factory rack and Yakima Q tower for the front. This set-up spread the distance between the two cross bars from 3.5 feet on the factory rack to 5.5 feet using the Q tower up front. It seems to give a lot better balance and it allows me to push my kayaks further forward. Just overall better balance and no dramatic over hang in the rear.
What accessories did you get to carry the kayak? I see alot of people get one "hully roller" and one "cradle".

Are the crossbars at the same height when you use these 2 types of towers?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bars are at the same height. The lowrider is almost flush with the factory rack and the Q tower is raised to equal the height of the lowrider and the factory rack combined. All I use now are round closed cell pads on the front. In the rear my kayaks have a hull access that make them flat where they lay on the bar. This works great!! I hold them on with ratchet straps front and rear, then one dead center attached to the factory rack only for added peace of mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
silver wolf,

How well do the Q clips fit?

I had read on the mdx forum about the clip rubbing either on the door or the frame. I suspect it was probably an installation error. Yakima usually has a really good fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Q clips

The Q clips fit like a glove!! They don't affect the rubber seals on the doors and they have a coating that protects the paint and door frame.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Q-clips and rear lowrider

This worked great!! The kayaks road as if they were glued to the roof. Even better the gas milage on two tanks with 2 kayaks and a weeks worth of camping gear and supplies was 19.7 and 20.3. I loved my Pilot when I bought it , but even more every day I own it! The most impressive thing on our trip was in the sugar sand of Florida that on the back road and trails the Pilot drove and road as if we were on dry pavement.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the picture. Looks like a very secure load with the cross-bars spread so far apart.

The Pilot really complements your kayaks.:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Options for Hauling a Canoe?

Everyone,

Silverwolf, your Yakimas look nice.

I am actually trying to figure out how to haul a 15.9 Old Town canoe.

I found the Talon system by EZLoad, but boy is it expensive. WWW.EZLOAD.BIZ found through PADDLING.net. It appears that the system costs 399 plus other attachments such as Thule or Yakima adapters.

Has anyone used the EXTEND a HITCH type of system. There are many different variety's around. Basically it hooks to the receiver and then goes straight out behind the vehicle and right angles up in the air. At the top of the climb there is a crossbar. Basically I would then be able to use my front OEM cross bar, and the new extend a hitch for the rear crossbar.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hauling my old town

JPC,

I recently hauled my canoe for the first time on my factory crossbars.

I used four ratchet straps from sams club to tie it down.

Two across the canoe from side to side.

One tieing the bow to my ss brushguard and another tying the stearn to my trailer hitch.

It was stable across town. I would imagine I wouldn't have any problems getting out on the interstate.

I loaded the canoe from the rear of the vehicle. The canoe doesnt like to slide on the crossbars due to the rubber strip built into them.

If i were going a long distance I might shrink wrap the canoe to stop the windshield air from daming into the canoe, acting as a windbrake.

I will try to take some pics and post them!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is silver wolf's set up in this thread still the best way? (see his picture on page 1 of this thread) I need to mount a 16 foot canoe and I was thinking of following his set up and adding a t bar hitch in back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is there no front/back tie down on the pilot? I'll look closely tonight and check the owners manual. I'll be putting an 18.5 canoe on top, only for 30 kms over private roads. Don't laugh on the 18.5, my wife and I and two kids and gear/food for five nights. I can't wait till the kids can paddle their own canoe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts