Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turns out that Canadian Piloteers have plethora of downsizing options in Canada. There dealers have winter tires package and have 17" steel wheel options (Honda part # 42700-TK8-A01) with 245/65R17 tires. Here in US, no dealer neither Costco offers steel wheel options. Dealer even say 17" are not available for this gen Pilot!

Costco Tires in Canada also gives 17" wheel options, including two steel wheel options, black and gray.

I am all set to buy Honda steel wheels here (they are available if I search for Odyssey wheels 42700-TK8-A01) and tires, but can't get clear information which TMPS to get for these.

Somebody who has done this in Canada, can you confirm which TPMS sensors you are using in your steel wheels?

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought a new (not previously registered) 2018 Pilot 2 months ago in the Toronto area and added the 17” Honda- supplied winter tire package that they said was designated for the Pilot by Honda. It has TPMS sensors and Michelin tires on black steel rims. The bill of sale didn’t show the part number of the rims, but for the record, they fit without any clearance issues around the front brakes, even though it looks like there is only about 1/4” of clearance between the wheel and brake calipers on the front.
The 3rd gen Pilot takes 22mm lug nuts (not the more common 19mm) by the way, and reportedly has a different offset spec than the 2nd generation rims, so that might be good to watch out for when you’re shopping for your winter tire/wheel package.
This time around, I also liberally sprayed all the welded areas on my steel rims with Krown rustproofing spray (it’s a thin, penetrating oil type product) as I’m in the salt belt here, and steel rims get rusty pretty quickly. Hopefully this keeps them looking good. The old winter tire package I had on the Acura TL I traded in had rusted pretty badly, and the chrome center cap on one wheel had nearly disintegrated from the rust. If I’m lucky, the chrome center caps on the Pilot winter tire package will stay looking good.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I bought a new (not previously registered) 2018 Pilot 2 months ago in the Toronto area and added the 17” Honda- supplied winter tire package that they said was designated for the Pilot by Honda. It has TPMS sensors and Michelin tires on black steel rims. The bill of sale didn’t show the part number of the rims, ....
If I could just get the part numbers for the wheels you got and the TPMS sensors .... can you let me know which dealer to you got these from? I might try calling them up for the part numbers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try calling Ready Honda in Mississauga.
I will try them tomorrow (they are closed today). Meanwhile, I searched for tire packages on their website and got the following for 2017 Pilot:
2016-2020 Pilot 17"Part #: RDYHPKG424
Tire - Michelin Latitude X-ice Xi2 245/65R17 Part #: 710624
Wheel - 17 Inch Steel Wheel Part #: 42700-TK8-A014
Custom - Sensors Part #: TPMSKITPLT16
Retail Price:$1,332.84 Quantity:1 Total:$1,332.84

Image capture of the results attached.

It is some more info I have now, but still no TMPS part number that I can reference here in the US. Hopefully, talking to somebody at that dealer will help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Next task: the winter 17” tires are inflated to 32psi, while the regular 20” tires call for 35psi. How do you tell the TPMS system that 32psi is the normal pressure level?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next task: the winter 17” tires are inflated to 32psi, while the regular 20” tires call for 35psi. How do you tell the TPMS system that 32psi is the normal pressure level?
Good question.

My pilot has been displaying 32 or 33 PSI in the last several mornings since it has gotten a bit colder. TPMS light does not come on. As I drive to work, the pressure rises to around 35 /36 PSI. I know that I need 2 or 3 PSI added due to the colder weather since tires were checked last. Also, several months ago when it was quite hot, I was running around 37 or 38 PSI on cold tires in the morning and it would go up to 40 PSI. However, all tires were always within 2 PSI of each other, no TPMS then either.

Now, if somebody can give factual info on how TPMS behave if all tires are under, that would be great.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
On my first generation that has TPMS anyway, the only time my low pressure warning came on when it got cold was when the PSI was down in the 20s, maybe somewhere between 25 and 29, I can't remember exactly, but never above 30 PSI.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think TPMS is primarily focused on catching missmatch in tire pressures. If one tire drops a lot less than others.

I recently installed 17 inch winter tires at Costco on wheels I purchased from a different online retailer. Costco did not have the TPMS so they installed the tires without TPMS with my permission. They ordered the TPMS and will install it for free at a later time (the cost is quoted at $200, their TPMS sensors are very expensive). I have been driving without TPMS for a while. Other than a light indicators, i have not seen any issues. Does anyone know if TPMS absence will have impact on ABS or other vehicle stability controls?

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out that Canadian Piloteers have plethora of downsizing options in Canada. There dealers have winter tires package and have 17" steel wheel options (Honda part # 42700-TK8-A01) with 245/65R17 tires. Here in US, no dealer neither Costco offers steel wheel options. Dealer even say 17" are not available for this gen Pilot!

Costco Tires in Canada also gives 17" wheel options, including two steel wheel options, black and gray.

I am all set to buy Honda steel wheels here (they are available if I search for Odyssey wheels 42700-TK8-A01) and tires, but can't get clear information which TMPS to get for these.

Somebody who has done this in Canada, can you confirm which TPMS sensors you are using in your steel wheels?

Thanks.
Folks,
So here is what I ended up with:
Steel wheels, 42700-TK8-A01. x4.
TPMS sensors (OEM):
42754-TY2-A81 TMPS sensor nut x4.
42753-T6N-A02 TPMS vavle, x4.
42755-TP6-A81 washer, x4

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L, 265-60-18 on Ridgeline rims
365 Posts
How much were the wheels and sensors?

For how the TPMS works. TPMS need to know.

Some might be different but most set to come on if a tire reaches 25% BELOW manufacturer set point (the information on your door sticker). So if Honda recommends 32 PSI, light will come on at 24 PSI which is already very low. They should still be checked manually on a regular basis, at least to compare to readout. Not all manufactures have the option to see the actual pressure on a display. My son has a 2010 Kia Forte, his light came on when it was real cold one morning. One tire was at 23 psi, the rest were 25. Many don't know that every 10 degrees the pressure changes by 1 psi. Most tires loose about 1 psi per month. If it was 70 degrees in mid October last checked and now its 30 degrees, it might be down 7 psi. His were all good on a 75 degree day, that morning was 15 degrees (6 psi difference just in temperature)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I put Bridgestone Blizzak tires on 17" aluminium rims $ 200 more then steel wheels and Honda TPM's works great

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much were the wheels and sensors?
The washers were total of $2.20,
TPMS nut were a total of $6.04,
TPMS sensors were a total of $111,
and the wheels were a total of $269.88 + $60 core charge.
Total of $449.12US + tax.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The washers were total of $2.20,
TPMS nut were a total of $6.04,
TPMS sensors were a total of $111,
and the wheels were a total of $269.88 + $60 core charge.
Total of $449.12US + tax.
Closing the thread, I also wanted something to cover the center hole on the wheel. Ended up getting wheel trim (cover) and the plastic washers that are required to secure the trim to the wheel with the stock Pilot lug nuts (needs a screwdriver to nudge and align the washer with the lug nut while installing the cover).
Wheel trim, Honda part# 44733-TK8-A10, x4. USD $131.60 for all 4.
Washer, Honda part# 44737-SHJ-A01, x20 (5 per lug nut). Around USD 10 for 20 washers.

The above parts are #25 and #21 on the following link:

That completes my winter tires on 17" steel wheel on the third generation Pilot (2017).

·
Registered
28 Posts
In Canada you can get 18" steel wheels as well as the 17" steel wheels. I found them both at canadawheels.ca The problem with the 18" steel wheels is that you cannot find wheel covers for that size...whereas you can for the 17"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts