Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wonder if the Pilots for Canada has DRH (Daytime Running Headlights)? I questioned my Dealer and they told me that its not available for the Pilots.
In 1988, I went to Canada and discovered that it was a law that every car has to have DRH or keep the lights on all the time during the day. I read a lot of articles and saw how much safety increased w/ the use of DRH on cars. I guess that is why is mandatory on all motocycles too. Since I don't have that on my Pilot, I end up in leaving the head-light switch "ON" all the time. When I leave the car, it goes off w/ in 15 secs. As soon as I open the door, it comes on again and I start the car and go. Does anyone else does that too? How about in Canada? What is the trick?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was just wonder if the Pilots for Canada has DRH (Daytime Running Headlights)?
Funny, I just asked the same question in the thread "Another Road Test Comparison".

I await an answer on either thread.

Evergreen

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hi there guys, Yes and Yes, In Canada it is mandatory to have DRL, If the vechicle was purchased before this law took effect, then the car does not apply. But every new car, SUV etc, is automatically made or shipped to Canada with DRL. My Pilot has the auto off headlights too... The only differences that Canadian Pilot have and don't have are the following..

We have:

heated seats and mirrors.
DRL, and a few more warning lights like "Low washer Fluid and a few others (Don't have my manuel on me)

You have:

DVD and RES..

rob

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
gopilot said:
Hi there guys, Yes and Yes, In Canada it is mandatory to have DRL, If the vechicle was purchased before this law took effect, then the car does not apply. But every new car, SUV etc, is automatically made or shipped to Canada with DRL. My Pilot has the auto off headlights too... The only differences that Canadian Pilot have and don't have are the following..

We have:

heated seats and mirrors.
DRL, and a few more warning lights like "Low washer Fluid and a few others (Don't have my manuel on me)

You have:

DVD and RES..

rob
I actually saw a Pilot with a RES (DVD) AND a sunroof at a dealer nearby my place. It was sweet and was going for $48,500. Of course, you gotta add all that other taxes and charges, but at least they're available in Canada.

·
Registered
991 Posts
DVD offered by Honda Canada!! was it an aftermarket that Honda put in, or was it an option for the Pilot? I wish I new that, would have got one put in when I ordered my Pilot... Will be getting one soon, any advise on which kind to buy?

rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in Buffalo and sure wouldn't mind getting heated mirrors. They would have come in handy plenty so far this season.

I also like the added safety of DRLs, which I have on my VWs. I'm wondering if I should take my Pilot to a CDN dealer one day and see if I can get either of these installed.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Someone with a service manual will have to check, but if the Pilot is wired similarly to the MDX (or wired with a similar philosophy), there is more than just the DRL module that needs to be plugged in. The US/Cdn MDXs have different wiring harnesses and relays w/r/t the DRL system. The parts/harnesses/relays that are in the Cdn version are not present in the US version, and they aren't standalone, either; they're integrated (for example, the US version might have a 20-pin connector and the Cdn version would have a 24-pin with builtin relays and routing to other parts of the car).

I ended up installing an aftermarket DRL system and have been happy with it. Go to the MDX site and search for DRL, or just find one of my posts and click in the sig line.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Canadian vehicles have had DRLs since at least 1990. I remember this because I was driving my 1990 Nissan Sentra ( made in Smyrna ) in Burlington Vermont in 1991 and a local Police Officer commented to me about driving around in the daytime with my lights on. He wouldn't believe me that they came on automatically when the car was started so I had to turn it on and off a couple of times so he could see for himself. My wife and I had a laugh over that one.:2:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Add-on DRL's

I also believe that daytime running lights improve driving safety.

I purchased a DRL set from Hella. The lights are rated at only 6 watts, but plenty bright in daylight.

They fit well in the Pilot grille and are not expensive.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Add-on DRL's

ChiefPilot said:
[BI purchased a DRL set from Hella. The lights are rated at only 6 watts, but plenty bright in daylight.

They fit well in the Pilot grille and are not expensive. [/B]
ChiefPilot
Would you have some pics of them installed? I would like to see how does it look. What model of Hellas did you use?
Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Add-on DRL's

BMWRT said:

ChiefPilot
Would you have some pics of them installed?
I'm at work now... no access to digital pics. I'll try to post some pictures over the weekend.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Re: Add-on DRL's

BMWRT said:

ChiefPilot
Would you have some pics of them installed? What model of Hellas did you use?
Here is a picture of the Hella daytime running lights that I installed. If I recall correctly, the kit is model "DRL". You should be able to do a web search for "Hella DRL".

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here is a picture of the Hella daytime running lights that I installed.
ChiefPilot, these DRLs look interesting. How difficult was it to install them? How long did it take? I am virtually technically inept and I was wondering how hard a job this would be. I was scared away from the postings about the foglights being so difficult to install.

Evergreen

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ChiefPilot
They look great!
Thanks

·
Registered
797 Posts
Like that idea for aftermarket fog lights. Hmmm....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Evergreen said:

ChiefPilot, these DRLs look interesting. How difficult was it to install them? How long did it take?
Evergreen

The physical attachment of the DRL's was pretty easy. As a strictly temporary measure, I used heavy-duty velcro (from radio shack) to mount them to the plastic grille. However, the DRL heads are not very heavy and this arrangement has worked so well that I haven't yet seen the need to drill holes and bolt them down permanently.

The wiring wasn't too difficult. The Hella kit comes with a relay and all of the necessary wiring. You could use any one of several ignition-controlled points for power to activate the relay so that the DRL's come on automatically whenever the car is running.

In my case, however, N_Jay pointed out a location where the power is available when the headlights are off but not when the headlights are on (Thanks, N_Jay). Using this location to activate the DRL relay means that the DRLS automatically go off whenever the headlights are turned on.

I've had the Hella DRL's for a few months and I've been pleased so far.
For those that are interested, the Hella DRL's are not easy to find and had to be ordered from Germany. I purchased them through Performance Unlimited Motoring Accessories in Solon, Ohio. (ask for Paul)

http://www.puma-access.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts