Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get timing belt replaced for routine maintenance and don't necessarily want to pay dealer prices. Anyone have a shop they can recommend?

2012 Pilot.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,348 Posts
You might be surprised and find dealer prices for the timing belt change may be roughly the same as an independent shop. Sometimes the dealers offer coupons which takes $100-150 off the tab. With the dealers you know you’re getting OEM parts, whereas with an independent you’d better ask for OEM parts if that is what you want.

When comparing prices make sure the parts lists are apples to apples. At a minimum the timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, and coolant will be replaced. It’s not a bad time to replace the serpentine belt as well since the old one gets removed during the process.

Petsonally I hate taking my Pilot to the dealer for service, but the timing belt job is one of the few services that I only trust them for. That is because the dealers perform this service on many 3.5l engines each month so they have lots of experience.

To answer your original question, I have no idea in your local area. I would ask other Honda/Acura owners you know where they take their vehicles for service. Also check out reviews on Yelp or equivalent sites.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. Cheapest dealer I have found is $1200 with their coupon. I tend to believe that the dealer is best choice because of their experience on this particular job. I have had other shops quote several hundred dollars less for the job but their experience seemed a little sketchy.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
867 Posts
Love'm or Hate'm I have always found this to be a good resource for such things. Mechanics Files

I concur that that the dealer may be the best place. As previously stated they do this day in and day out on that engine. If you plan on keeping the vehicle awhile consider replacing the following.

Water Pump & Gasket, Tensioner Roller / Pulley, Idler Roller / Pulley, Hydraulic Tensioner, Timing Belt, Front Camshaft Seals x 2, Front Crankshaft Seal, & Serpentine Drive Belt.

It seriously sucks replacing just the timing belt only to have one of the above listed items fail a few months down the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was planning on getting everything replaced as listed above but was not aware of camshaft/crankshaft seals. Are they something that fails with regularity?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
867 Posts
They can leak over time. As long as they are already there the little extra labor would be a whole lot cheaper than having to take everything off that the did for the timing belt 6 months earlier just to replace them if you develop an oil leak.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was planning on getting everything replaced as listed above but was not aware of camshaft/crankshaft seals. Are they something that fails with regularity?
They are cheap, and quite easy/fast to replace. I did the crank and cam seals on our 2004 Civic, about five minutes to do both of them. They came with the timing belt kit (with water pump, tensioner). I already had everything off since I replaced the cylinder head. That said, the camshaft seals tend to leak more often than the crank seal.

I think a non-Honda shop replaced the belt the last time on this Civic, because they did a sloppy job. The tensioner threads were stripped (the bolt removed way too easily, and I couldn't get a new one to tighten down--had to install a TimeSert), and the lower timing belt cover was only held on by one bolt, wtih the rest of the tabs cracked or broken, and with it being incorrectly installed it rubbed on the crankshaft pulley and the bottom half was shredded.

Did you try Jeffrey Honda? Check their site first, as they often have coupons. They've always been honest and straightforward with the little work I've had them do over the years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for feedback. Jeffrey Honda has the same 100.00 coupon on their site as does Friendly Honda. Haven't called for an exact quote yet but I will before I decide where to take it. My 1200.00 stimulus check should cover pretty much everything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The couple of times I've needed major work in one of our CR-Vs, their final bill has come in under the estimate. The A/C compressor billed at ~$1,060 when the estimate was $1,200+. We had a starter go bad in February last year when we had the single digit temps--they came in around the $700 range where the estimate was $800. I don't know if they have a set fee for a maintenance procedure like timing belts. It's fairly labor intensive so no matter where you go, it's going to cost a bit.

I do use my neighbor's shop for a couple of things, but they are not as much into the engine work. (They'll do it, but they don't particularly specialize in it.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts