Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me? I have 17 inch OEM rims leftover from old my 2015 Accord.

I now have a 2021 Pilot SE, does anyone know if can I use these wheels for snow tires on my pilot ?

I don't know what the risks or concerns might be, but it would be great to save a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts

I now have a 2021 Pilot SE, does anyone know if can I use these wheels for snow tires on my pilot ?

I don't know what the risks or concerns might be, but it would be great to save a few hundred dollars.
If the bolt pattern is the same, yes.
Optional size for 3rd gen Pilot is 245/65R17

·
Registered
3,547 Posts

Not going to work as bolt pattern is different.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
Even if the bolt pattern was the same, I’d be reluctant to put sedan rims on a heavier SUV. The load rating of the sedan rim will likely be lower than that of the SUV rim.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Even if the bolt pattern was the same, I’d be reluctant to put sedan rims on a heavier SUV. The load rating of the sedan rim will likely be lower than that of the SUV rim.
Funny you mentioned load ratings, how much does the 3rd Gen Pilot OEM spare tire hold? LOL asking for a friend.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Not going to work as bolt pattern is different.
Just seems that somone mounted 17" rims on their 3rd Gen Pilot not long ago.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Funny you mentioned load ratings, how much does the 3rd Gen Pilot OEM spare tire hold? LOL asking for a friend.
Don’t forget the spare tire is not designed to be permanent. You get what you pay for. Sometimes cheaping out on quality parts can affect your safety. YMMV.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Don’t forget the spare tire is not designed to be permanent. You get what you pay for. Sometimes cheaping out on quality parts can affect your safety. YMMV.
Just so the OP isn't thinking that your insinuating their cheaping out, lol. I thought the 17" rim question was a valid one, "possibly" saving them a few bucks. They were already thinking safety by buying a set of winter tires. 👍
OP might could list those rims in the Classified section here. Never know, might can get a few bucks for those 17" rims. Someone may need a set of winter tires for there older vehicle.
Then use the cash to help buy new wheels or find some good used ones.
There's always www.car-part.com

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
You’d have to look on the tire for its load rating. The rim also has a load rating. You’d want both to be sufficient for the weight of a fully loaded vehicle. I’m guessing the OEM spare tire and rim meet both these requirements otherwise auto manufacturers would be facing many legal claims. But as mentioned above, the spare tire is meant for temporary use only.

Reactions: kslu_wa

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Just so the OP isn't thinking that your insinuating their cheaping out, lol. I thought the 17" rim question was a valid one, "possibly" saving them a few bucks. They were already thinking safety by buying a set of winter tires.
OP might could list those rims in the Classified section here. Never know, might can get a few bucks for those 17" rims. Someone may need a set of winter tires for there older vehicle.
Then use the cash to help buy new wheels or find some good used ones.
There's always www.car-part.com
Yeah I was responding to the sedan versus SUV rim analysis above. A lot of sedan wheels are cheaper than SUV wheels because they don’t have the load rating to safely hold up an SUV. The hard part is figuring out the load rating of many wheels because most websites don’t publicize that and you have to dig pretty deep to find out the actual ratings. I know from experience unfortunately. I wasn’t saying OP was being cheap to use old wheels. If I had old rims I’d put them to use if they were safe.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Yeah I was responding to the sedan versus SUV rim analysis above. A lot of sedan wheels are cheaper than SUV wheels because they don’t have the load rating to safely hold up an SUV. The hard part is figuring out the load rating of many wheels because most websites don’t publicize that and you have to dig pretty deep to find out the actual ratings. I know from experience unfortunately. I wasn’t saying OP was being cheap to use old wheels. If I had old rims I’d put them to use if they were safe.
I don’t know why many manufacturers and/or sellers don’t readily list the load rating. I ran into the same issue when swapping out rims on my Tacoma. For the aftermarket rims that I liked, the load ratings were nowhere to be found. I ended up going with OEM Toyota 4Runner rims since a fully loaded 4Runner is heavier than a fully loaded Tacoma (at the maximum specified payload weight). Even then I still don’t know the actual load rating for the 4Runner rims, but I’m confident Toyota engineers did their homework and designed/specified them with some degree of margin.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey all I really appreciate all the feed back and comments.

You all provides great insight and have given me plenty of options to consider.

I'm happy to have a Honda V6 back in my life. I forgot what it felt like.

With this being our family car safety is my number one priority. I just wasn't sure where to begin my quest for knowledge.

I'll probably double check the bolt patterns to confirm, when time permits (they are up on a rack in garage surrounded by Xmas stuff). I'm still stumped on weight load and I wonder if the Turning radius will be impacted. Ultimately they may end up in the classified section, but I'll have plenty of time to research

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
The bolt patterns are definitely not the same as listed. You can reference on HERE - WHEELSIZE.COM for bolt pattern off sets etc,

If you want 18" for snows, you can get rims from Acura TL or MDX, Pilot '16-'21, Ridgeline '16-'20 (probably '21 also).

If you want 17" for snows, you can get rims from Honda Pilot '08-'15 and Ridgeline '05-'14. All have same bolt pattern and center bore with correct offset. and you can get steel or alloy.

I got my spare rims from a Ridgeline owner locally on Craigslist or Facebook market place but he was also listing on Ridgeline Owners Club.

Also update your profile so it shows location when you hover over flag and trim level etc. Helps us to provide appropriate information.

I used the steel rims and hubcaps from my '07 Sonata for my '17 Accord with just a small spacer for the hub bore since Hyundai has larger bore. You could list the Accord wheel on DriveAccord.net also.

Something like THIS or THIS

·
Registered
2003 EX-L (347,000), 2021 AWD Touring 8.
219 Posts
I got my spare rims from a Ridgeline owner locally on Craigslist or Facebook market place but he was also listing on Ridgeline Owners Club.
For my 2021 Touring, I got a 20" refurbished OEM rim on eBay for $185.63 and a slightly used tire - same as came with the car new - for $118.53 to replace the spare.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bolt patterns are definitely not the same as listed. You can reference on HERE - WHEELSIZE.COM for bolt pattern off sets etc,

If you want 18" for snows, you can get rims from Acura TL or MDX, Pilot '16-'21, Ridgeline '16-'20 (probably '21 also).

If you want 17" for snows, you can get rims from Honda Pilot '08-'15 and Ridgeline '05-'14. All have same bolt pattern and center bore with correct offset. and you can get steel or alloy.

Also update your profile so it shows location when you hover over flag and trim level etc. Helps us to provide appropriate information.

I used the steel rims and hubcaps from my '07 Sonata for my '17 Accord with just a small spacer for the hub bore since Hyundai has larger bore. You could list the Accord wheel on DriveAccord.net also.

Something like THIS or THIS
thank you very much ! Very insightful and helpful! The stock tires weren't bad in the winter but I can't wait to see how the vehicle handles with dedicated snow tires .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts