Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

The DVD-RES dim whenever I turn the headlights on. It is really bad because the car does not come with day time running lights in the US.

When I turn the headlight on in certain condition (bright sun but shady etc), the RES at the back is dimmed and hard to see. I have to turn the headlight off to make the screen brighter.

Does any one know how to control the screen brightness independent to the status of the headlights ?

Thanks
Tat
EXL-RES Sandstone
:confused:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I will double check but I don't remember having this problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
why do you drive with your lights on?

Just wondering why you would want to drive around with your headlights on during the day? Turn them off if it ain't dark out! No problem!!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: why do you drive with your lights on?

Gerald Wallen said:
Just wondering why you would want to drive around with your headlights on during the day? Turn them off if it ain't dark out! No problem!!!!
I guess you are asking why day-time-running-light. It is really good for sunny day and you are driving in some area with trees especially in the later afternoon (very highly contrasted area in photography term). Some situation, you can hardly see the car behind you. German did a lot of research in this area. DRL is mandatory in Canada.

Tat

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just read the manual an hour ago before I came online. The color and brightness adjustment is controlled by the DVD remote. Press the DISP button on the remote and a menu will appear.

I also just realized that the driver seat has lumbar support adjustment on the right side. Didn't see that before. :bonk:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
tatng said:
...The DVD-RES dim whenever I turn the headlights on...
I've noticed the same thing when using headlights during the day. I've looked on the rear control panel and the remote, but haven't found a brightness control. I suspect the Canadian models with daytime running lights don't have this problem.

In my other car I can lock the radio display on "bright" by turning the instrument panel brightness to a special setting, but I haven't tried this in the Pilot yet. I doubt it has the feature since I don't see it in the manual :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: Re: Can RES stay bright with headlight on ???

tim.s said:
I've noticed the same thing when using headlights during the day. I've looked on the rear control panel and the remote, but haven't found a brightness control. I suspect the Canadian models with daytime running lights don't have this problem.

In my other car I can lock the radio display on "bright" by turning the instrument panel brightness to a special setting, but I haven't tried this in the Pilot yet. I doubt it has the feature since I don't see it in the manual :(
tim.s,
I noticed the same problem recently when one of my kids said "Hey, what's wrong with the screen -- it's darker now Daddy!" :eek: I don't drive with the headlights on during the daytime, but one day I turned on the other lights (e.g. the parking lights, taillights, instrumental panel lights, side-marker lights, etc.) while driving through a brief rain shower to help other drivers see me and the RES screen did get dimmer (as noted in my 1st sentence above). Luckily, at night this is not noticeable!:)

I tried tim.s's idea of turning the Instrument Panel Brightness knob, but that does not solve our problem.
I tried kippy95's idea about adjusting the brightness under the DISP on the remote, but no luck with that either.

Is there a fix out there for this? Anyone with an answer please let us know. Also, it would be interesting to know if the Canadian RES models have a bright screen at all times. Any takers?
Any of you Top Posters with RES (xyzzy, kemosabe) noticed this yet? (I love using havasu's VIN lookup table!)

PS. If you live in PA, there is a law that went into effect on February 21, 2003 that we are required to have lighted headlamps whenever driving through a signed work/construction zone. Since we have a LOT of road work going on where I live, I will need to use my headlamps more often than usual and would like for my RES to stay bright the entire time! Naturally, my kids would enjoy this fix more than I!!

Happy Piloting! :2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I noticed the problem too after I read the original message. This will be an issue for me since in NY you have to turn on your headlights whenever you use your wipers (rain showers, snow, road spray, etc...).

Perhaps ones of those large capacitors that Crutchfield sells would do the trick. They supposedly add extra power for large wattage stereo systems.

I haven't remember to check to see if the brightness ever goes back to normal with the lights on.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Originally posted by gksmith ...Perhaps ones of those large capacitors that Crutchfield sells would do the trick. They supposedly add extra power for large wattage stereo systems.

I haven't remember to check to see if the brightness ever goes back to normal with the lights on.
Yes, the brightness goes back to normal with the park lights off. The screen is dimmed as a feature, not a defect due to low power - in the same manner that an LED radio display dims when the headlights are on. It's just too bad there isn't a selector switch to deactivate the dimming feature during the day.

No, please don't try to modify the display, especially with a stiffening cap meant for a stereo system. :eek:

·
Registered
173 Posts
tatng said:
Folks,

Does any one know how to control the screen brightness independent to the status of the headlights ?

For what it's worth, our ACURA NAVI has a setting that allows you to disable the night-dimming feature on the NAV screen.

Perhaps the RES has a similar setting somewhere in the set-up screen?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Press setup on the navi screen and adjust the brightness . During night time ( when head lights are on ) , it's quite annoying to have the too high a bightness level . I like it getting dim when i turn on my headlights during night

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Need DRL

Folks,

I am thinking about hacking the front parking lights so it will be on all the time
not depends on the on/off state of the headlights.

I am thinking about replacing the light bulb with LED bulb (with hi/lo) and wire
the "LO" to 12V controlled by the ON relay. The "HI" will be wired as normal.
This way, the brinking turn signal will work as normal and the "LO", which is on
when the car is running will work as a DRL.

Not ready to modify it yet, still looking for parts to do the change.
Also concern the low LED current drawing will make Pilot to think there is a burn out
signal bulb (not enough current to trigger the blink etc.).

Tat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts