Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about RES on our Pilot. Do you all know can the Pilot capable of playing DVD Audio? or SACD? I have a lots of DVD Karaoke which in 5.1 Channel when I convert into CD I lost all Channel only available in two channel (Stereo). Any one know any software that can convert and burn 5.1 DVD Audio?
I software that I used is a freeware www.flaskmpeg.net

·
Registered
50 Posts
I doubt that the RES can play DVD Audio or SACD - the only car that has true surround sound using DVD Audio is the 2004 Acura TL. As they are competing formats (SACD and DVD Audio), when surround sound makes it down to other cars, it will be one or the other. As Acura is using DVD Audio, I would guess that it will make it to the other Honda made cars in the next year or two... By the way, the DVD Audio in the '04 TL sounds incredible...

One other new feature that is on the TL and we can all look forward to in the near future is utilizing Bluetooth technology on cell phones to wirelessly connect it to the sound system - with voice commands - so one can have their phone anywhere in the car - even in the trunk - and be able to use it hands free - VERY cool...

·
Registered
36 Posts
JK110 said:
As they are competing formats (SACD and DVD Audio), when surround sound makes it down to other cars, it will be one or the other.
DVD-Audio and SACD are not "competing" formats. They were developed with two completely different consumers in mind.

SACD with it's 2.8mhz sampling rate was introduced as the audiophiles answer to the harsh sound of a compact disc. Which is one of the reasons that it was intially a 2 channel format. On the other hand, DVD-Audio was developed more for the experience oriented consumer. DVD-Audio uses a considerably lower sampling rate (48-192khz) and puts more focus on giving the listener a different experience by mixing considerably more rear information and adding interactive menu's, photo's and lyrics.

SACD and DVD-Audio can and will continue to co-exist in the car just like they do in the home environment currently. There are many home DVD players from manufacterers like Pioneer Elite and Denon that will play either format. The future will hold the same for cars (although currently nobody makes an SACD car player, including aftermarket).

·
Registered
38 Posts
SACD is not playable unless it's a hybrid of course, hell it doesn't even play 5.1 DVD video. The system will play the 2-channel version of the soundtrack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts