Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NYGAgirl asked in the 'new members' thread if NAVI can do Waypoints?
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=77808#post77808
Here is most of the post:
What I want to do, is sit at the end of my driveway and say, "okay Navi, save this location as "HOME." I have tried to use personal address, but I get to the screen where it requires you to enter an address, and it eliminates the letters I need to spell my street. I find this strange because my street name does show up on their map. Anyway, the SPIII allows the use of waypoints. How do I do this with the OEM NAV?

Also - the annoying disclaimer continues to pop up even though I've selected OK have a million times.

Lastly, is there any advantage to using a PIN? Seems to me that it will be a pain in the neck to enter it, so I would prefer none.
NYGAgirl, I found several threads on the subject of NAVs,
alot of them discussing Garmin as well, but didn't see
the subject of waypoints, but I could have missed it.
<a href="http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4211">
NAV vs StreePilot III</a>

<a href="http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5175">
Navi DVD upgrade - any other vendor compatible disks? </a>

<a href="http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4796">
Anyone regret buying Navi? </a>

I am also curious. I have an SPIII and love it - except it is clumsy
up on the dash, in an accident may be a projectile, it's hard to reach up on the dash to fiddle with (so the remote in the new model is appealing) and it's an invitation to theft if not stowed away.
But I have been quite satisfied with the performance, even have hooked it up to an
APRS system to report positions via packet radio (the SPIII outputs NMEA protocol thru the data cable).

But our next car might be an Accord so I am wondering what the builtin NAVs are like. I think i also read that the Pilot's NAV and the Accord's are different.

Does anyone know how to do Waypoints in the Pilot's NAV? Or answer NYGAgirl's other questions?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
And another thing

I posted this question on another thread but it got lost in oblivion. I read that one of the improvements for the 2004 Pilot is better rural coverage in the NAV system. For all you folks with the 2003s, does anybody know what upgrading the new software/firmware entails? How do you keep the NAV system up to date throughout the life of the vehicle? I don't have one, but I'm just curious.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I believe Honda's terminology for "waypoints" is called "today's destinations". If you click the "today's destinations" button (or something that sounds similar to that) you can enter multiple addresses/places and it will route you through them in order. Every time you arrive and stop @ one, it'll automatically queue up the next one.

(I think; I've only used it once and that was playing around in the garage, building a "trip" for TheWife)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: And another thing

krygny said:
I posted this question on another thread but it got lost in oblivion. I read that one of the improvements for the 2004 Pilot is better rural coverage in the NAV system. For all you folks with the 2003s, does anybody know what upgrading the new software/firmware entails? How do you keep the NAV system up to date throughout the life of the vehicle? I don't have one, but I'm just curious.
As new roads, places, etc. are built, the NAV DVD is updated. Unfortunately, the latest DVD was supposed to be out over a year ago, but has been postponed over and over again. I think the current ETA for an updated NAV DVD is Oct 2003.

So, while we may want to update the NAV w/ the latest info and software, we have not yet had the opportunity.

Glen

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheWorm said:
I believe Honda's terminology for "waypoints" is called "today's destinations". If you click the "today's destinations" button (or something that sounds similar to that) you can enter multiple addresses/places and it will route you through them in order. Every time you arrive and stop @ one, it'll automatically queue up the next one.

(I think; I've only used it once and that was playing around in the garage, building a "trip" for TheWife)
Worm, I think NYGAgirl means to tell the NAV to mark the "current location" of the vehicle. The Garmin StreetPilotIII calls these "Waypoints." (altho, you can also "find" an address via the searches and mark that, too.) In the SPIII you just hold down "Enter" I think to mark the current position as a waypoint.

·
Registered
422 Posts
QUOTE:
What I want to do, is sit at the end of my driveway and say, "okay Navi, save this location as "HOME." I have tried to use personal address, but I get to the screen where it requires you to enter an address, and it eliminates the letters I need to spell my street. I find this strange because my street name does show up on their map. Anyway, the SPIII allows the use of waypoints. How do I do this with the OEM NAV?

Also - the annoying disclaimer continues to pop up even though I've selected OK have a million times.

Lastly, is there any advantage to using a PIN? Seems to me that it will be a pain in the neck to enter it, so I would prefer none.

I offer my comments based on the perspective of owning a '99 Acura TL with Navi. Since both units are made by Alpine, I'll bet the functionality is somewhat similar. I would love to have gotten the OEM navi in my new Pilot, but think I will go for a Streetpilot 2610.

1. I can "mark" a location (my driveway) by touching the satellite icon in the upper left of the screen. This gives you the current location coordinates and the option to save the location. When the location is saved, the GPSR attempts to resolve a street address of the location, which it uses as a name. I cannot edit and change the assigned name. I don't know what would happen if you are in the middle of a field, and a street address could not be assigned. Saved locations appear in the list of previous destinations, annotated by [SAVED].
2. This is legal "CYA", and won't go away, unless you are clever enough to modify the firmware and rewrite it to a compatible DVD.
3. Assume you are talking about saving "personal" addresses, accessible with your PIN. Only useful if you don't want others to see where you're going, and you don't want to take the time to enter and then delete an address as you use it.

Larry

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Nav and what you want to do is possible. While in the street push on the joy stick and mark the position. go into steup and select personnel addresses. It should say "new address" select then select address, it should then say previous addresses select the one that you want Then select names and input HOME and select save. I'm doing this from memory and I have done it before you cannot save a location that is not on a road So if yoy go off roading or are not on a mrked road this won't work. I have had this system for about 5 montha and I love it!!!!!

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
havasu said:
Worm, I think NYGAgirl means to tell the NAV to mark the "current location" of the vehicle. The Garmin StreetPilotIII calls these "Waypoints." (altho, you can also "find" an address via the searches and mark that, too.) In the SPIII you just hold down "Enter" I think to mark the current position as a waypoint.
Gotcha, and yes, you're right (after reading her Q again). Lexus (our other Nav sys) refers to interim stops as waypoints. My bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The ol' nav system

Thanks everyone. I finally got it to work through personal addresses. The system had a different name for my street (a previous name). I still would like to see it capture a waypoint. Some fine day I may stumble across a place by accident and want to return there. I'm going to try jimbargia's suggestion next.

I do like the display, and I'm glad the 2004 has the voice commands. I get a little loopy looking at the display.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The method that has worked for me is to tap the screen in the center of the present position circle. This brings up a screen with latitude, longitude, elevation. This screen gives you an option to save this position. It winds up in the previous destination list.

Does anybody know how to put in a location by latitude/longitude?

·
Registered
22 Posts
mbowe said:
tap the screen in the center of the present position circle. This brings up a screen with latitude, longitude, elevation. This screen gives you an option to save this position. It winds up in the previous destination list.
If this works, you are the man.:1:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yea you can set points that way. You can also go into the menu and enter a location my moving the cursor on the map with the toggle to where you want to go and pushing on the toggle to enter it. You can use the current location when you are off road - like when I take a dirt path to a camp ground. You drop bread crumbs as you drive off road and use the current location feature to memorize how to get back there.

It really does pay to play around with the NAV and see all it can do. It was not until an engineer budy of mine was riding with me for a three hour trip that I saw all the interesting stuff on the NAV. He played with every feature.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do any of you with NAVI also have the RES?

I know Honda says you can't have both, but I'd like to know it someone's done it.
Is it a matter of sharing space in the dash, or what?

I currently have the RES, and I'd be very interested in a NAVI if it's possible to do...
:2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
the NAVI is a factory installed option. I purchased ours with the NAVI then replaced the stock radio and also added a DVD player and 10" dropdown screen. It was alot of time and money but the results were great!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Most folks that opted for the RES and want a nav use a streetpilot. They have discussed it alot on this site. You may be able to get aftermarket installed navs, but I don't recall one being discussed on this board.

fdxav8r said:
Do any of you with NAVI also have the RES?

I know Honda says you can't have both, but I'd like to know it someone's done it.
Is it a matter of sharing space in the dash, or what?

I currently have the RES, and I'd be very interested in a NAVI if it's possible to do...
:2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts