Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,438 Posts
checking the owners manual 3500lbs if the max for fwd Pilots. Please make sure you have trailer brakes and keep the water tanks empty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checking the owners manual 3500lbs if the max for fwd Pilots. Please make sure you have trailer brakes and keep the water tanks empty.
Thanks. Yes the owner manual shows 3500 lb is the max. I am not sure if it good for 2 adults, 2 kids and this travel trailer. I should look at the dry weight or GVWR?

And the trailer has a brake as follows. Is it OK?

FRONT BRAKE TYPE:
Not Applicable

REAR BRAKE TYPE:
Electric Drum

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,092 Posts
The answerer you seek are in the owners manual. Here is what Honda says.....

With 4 people you are down to a 3000 lb total trailer load capacity. By the time you add food, pots, pans, dishes, utensils etc. you can easily reach that 3000 lb limit or go over. Also keep in mind that the biggest concern vehicle wise will be the transmission, which you will be pushing hard with that much weight. If this is a one time thing, slow and easy is the way to go, if this however is a trailer purchase then personally I would recommend a separate vehicle designed to tow heavier loads.

As far as the weight goes. Dry weight is meaningless. It gives you an idea of what the vehicle weighs. You need to know the exact weight. That is done by taking the vehicle, trailer, the wife, the kiddies and all the luggage you will be taking, including everything you will have in the trailer to a public scale. Weigh the vehicle & trailer with occupants and all the gear in both. Before you do that you need to weight the vehicle by itself, no passengers, no gear etc. That way you will know how much you are actually pulling/carrying.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
Thank all for suggestions
IMO
I don't recommend using the Pilot for towing anything more than around 2,500 Lbs on short trips every now then. Anymore weight puts a lot of wear and tear on your transmission. If towing more or it's something you want to do more often, buy a vehicle that doesn't have the engine and transmission mounted sideways under the hood. If you still insist on using the Pilot to tow, add trailer brakes, possibly a weight distribution hitch and a new set of non touring tires that have a higher max inflation value (51psi max) so you can have at least 42psi in the rear tires. These things will help with your reaching your destination safely.
Don't forget to add a transmission cooler and monitor your ATF temps.

Reactions: mmmmark

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Same kind of tires for the trailer?
Depends on what's on the trailer. I do like Carlisle tires for trailers. Anyone else got a better suggestion?

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
642 Posts
Depends on what's on the trailer. I do like Carlisle tires for trailers. Anyone else got a better suggestion?

Id go with the Goodyear G159.

Nothing like living life on the edge.

/s

When I learned about the Goodyear G159 and the massive cover up I blacklisted their tires all together.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Id go with the Goodyear G159.

Nothing like living life on the edge.

/s

When I learned about the Goodyear G159 and the massive cover up I blacklisted their tires all together.

I was robbed by Goodyear on my first set of tires I ever bought when I was a teenager. Lots of mowing grass, loading bails of hay on a trailer and shoveling piles of dirt to pay for a set of tires that were garbage. That was a Badyear.
Never looked at Goodyear as an option for any of my vehicles........, ever again.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I was robbed by Goodyear on my first set of tires I ever bought when I was a teenager. Lots of mowing grass, loading bails of hay on a trailer and shoveling piles of dirt to pay for a set of tires that were garbage. That was a Badyear.
Which model Goodyear tire was that and what other choices did you have back then?

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Which model Goodyear tire was that and what other choices did you have back then?
No Idea, 1981 was a long time ago. In a small town you bought tires at the local tire shop. This place sold Goodyear exclusively. You bought what they recommended.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.