Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
With nearly 250k miles (Pic 1) on my 2006 EX pilot I wanted to know if it was possible to get a Brand New engine with Brand new Parts (0miles) Put in?? How Much would that Cost?
It’s really not worth buying a new engine I normally go and buy mine a JDM engine depot and the most mileage on these engines are no more then 60k and the cost is usually no more then 1300$ and if you want the transmission attached to this engine it’s 1500$ and if you hire someone to remove and replace the engine and transmission I normally get 1500$ but you abs save some money doing the job yourself just be patient and you’ll have a lot of gratification after your done knowing that everything was done properly good luck brother

·
Registered
11,318 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,568 Posts
Is something wrong with your current engine? They usually go a lot longer than 250k miles.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
Honda does not keep new unused engines for older vehicles. As pointed out by Nail Grease you can buy all of the components. If you have never assembled an engine from the block up, it is not novice project. Nor is it cost effective.

As Pedro125 suggested, a quality rebuilt engine would be the way to go. Far cheaper and that 2006 Pilot will probably need a series of costly repairs/replacement of other components before you put another 250K on it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
As Pedro125 suggested, a quality rebuilt engine would be the way to go. Far cheaper and that 2006 Pilot will probably need a series of costly repairs/replacement of other components before you put another 250K on it.
[/QUOTE]

I agree.
Maybe Pedro can chime in here-
I don't think those are 'rebuilt' engines? I thought they were engine from low mile Wrecks?
Pedro?

Still a good deal IMHO.

* Edit- here's the link

It only says they quality test them and they all come from Japan?
They are in NJ. Who pays, how much is shipping to, say WI? I wonder?

Reactions: WannaLearn

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If the engine truly is dead, I'd consider a new vehicle. You should expect to spend at least $3k. Is the vehicle actually worth that much? If the car gets totaled pulling out of the mechanic's parking lot, the insurance company won't care that you put a new engine in. They will give you whatever the value of the car is with a working engine.

Just some other factors to consider. A lot of people on this site have no problem pouring money into an older vehicle because they can do the work themselves or dislike any of the options for newer cars.

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
I agree.
Maybe Pedro can chime in here-
I don't think those are 'rebuilt' engines? I thought they were engine from low mile Wrecks?
Pedro?

Still a good deal IMHO.

* Edit- here's the link

It only says they quality test them and they all come from Japan?
They are in NJ. Who pays, how much is shipping to, say WI? I wonder?
[/QUOTE]
True, which is why I would opt for a rebuild over a salvaged engine. Here are some of the things JD does not cover with the warranty on their engines.

• OIL PAN
  • TIMING COVER
  • VALVE COVERS
  • INTAKE MANIFOLD
  • EMISSION CONTROL PARTS
  • CARBURETOR OR FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
  • EXHAUST MANIFOLD
  • ALTERNATOR

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Could explain why the first generation section remains quite active :unsure: View attachment 148151
Logically it would make sense that

A) there are more 1st gens on the road since it’s been 18 years since they first started being sold and
B) more people have problems with 1st gens due to age, etc and so they come to forums because the car is too old to take to the dealer or they want to consider doing it themselves

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts

A) there are more 1st gens on the road since it’s been 18 years since they first started being sold and
B) more people have problems with 1st gens due to age, etc and so they come to forums because the car is too old to take to the dealer or they want to consider doing it themselves
It is never too old to take to the dealer. However it does get too expensive to take to the dealer for the vast majority of people.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It is never too old to take to the dealer. However it does get too expensive to take to the dealer for the vast majority of people.
Right that’s what I mean. If the car is worth $3k no sense paying dealer markup on parts and labor when an independent shop can do it just as good.

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
The look you get from a dealers service advisor when you bring a 1st generation Pilot into the shop for repairs.............

·
Registered
11,318 Posts

Created to prove you right. 😁

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
The look you get from a dealers service advisor when you bring a 1st generation Pilot into the shop for repairs.............
View attachment 148160

Nuh-uh, on the rare occasions a shop sees me (or my Pilot, rather :)), it's a smitten look of admiration I see.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts

As of May 1st, 2021, your theory is supported by 1 vote on the Why Are You A Piloteer Poll :p .

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Right that’s what I mean. If the car is worth $3k no sense paying dealer markup on parts and labor when an independent shop can do it just as good.
Probably true to some extent but my experience with independent shops remain sketchy. I hope to see another dealer $150 off special on the TB/WP/tensioner/belt etc pkg like I had done in 2014 as my time is coming up again. and definitely not the miles @130k

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Probably true to some extent but my experience with independent shops remain sketchy. I hope to see another dealer $150 off special on the TB/WP/tensioner/belt etc pkg like I had done in 2014 as my time is coming up again. and definitely not the miles @130k
No DIY?
As the South Main Auto guy says...,
"Remember, If I can do it, you can too." 👨‍🔧

1 - 20 of 32 Posts