Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty bad dent, I tried using Amazon dent removers which uses hot glue, but it was completely useless.

If I take off the inside panel where the subwoofer is, can I easily access the other side of this dent to hammer it out with a rubber mallet?

I don't want to go through the work of removing the inside panel / seat just to have more layers that need to be removed, so asking in advanced.

Many thanks

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Only one way to find out. Besides, what else have you got to do this weekend? Didn't find anything on youtube, so if you tackle this project you might want to video it while you do for others.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Dang, that's dome ding. I'll bet your teenager's driving privileges are suspended for the week. :p

When I got a ding in that general vicinity, albeit not as impactful :D as yours, my PDR guy went through the taillight. Note that he had some special PDR tools. It was actually worth it to pay that pro.

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
Dang, that's dome ding. I'll bet your teenager's driving privileges are suspended for the week. :p

When I got a ding in that general vicinity, albeit not as impactful :D as yours, my PDR guy went through the taillight. Note that he had some special PDR tools. It was actually worth it to pay that pro.

Gotta hate those Moose antler dings don't ya. Did the moose have insurance or were you stuck with the bill? 😆

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
Gotta hate those Moose antler dings don't ya. Did the moose have insurance or were you stuck with the bill? 😆
It was a blue horsey (click the link to the thread with pic above). I swear I wasn't on acid or something. :)

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Pretty bad dent, I tried using Amazon dent removers which uses hot glue, but it was completely useless.

If I take off the inside panel where the subwoofer is, can I easily access the other side of this dent to hammer it out with a rubber mallet
Thats a big dent but most of the paint is intact except the lower creased edge. Careful taps with a rubber mallet could improve the appearance. Check out the video for rear inside panel removal.

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
Thats a big dent but most of the paint is intact except the lower creased edge. Careful taps with a rubber mallet could improve the appearance. Check out the video for rear inside panel removal.

Thanks, I didn't find that one. Now at least the OP doesn't need to video their removal process.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
Dude, you should have gone with the moose story. Better for the street cred than hitting a kids toy.
The blue horsey hit me. Again, officer, I swear I wasn't on acid or something. :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
As noted, a ding in a "domed" section is tough.

Best approach depends on what you want the outcome to be. Whether you get a clear shot at the inside or drill and pull from the outside, its unlikely to be invisible when you're done. The crease near the top is probably going to wrinkle. You'll still need filler and paint to get to "invisible".

If you want invisible, pay someone. Fixing this isn't magic, but tuition in the school of DIY is more than paying a pro.

If you're happy with "not too obvious from 10' away", drilling and pulling is a good option. Filler and touchup paint is relatively easy.

I've got one that's similar. I decided it added "character" and left it alone. I don't even see it any more.

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
As noted, a ding in a "domed" section is tough.

Best approach depends on what you want the outcome to be. Whether you get a clear shot at the inside or drill and pull from the outside, its unlikely to be invisible when you're done. The crease near the top is probably going to wrinkle. You'll still need filler and paint to get to "invisible".

If you want invisible, pay someone. Fixing this isn't magic, but tuition in the school of DIY is more than paying a pro.

If you're happy with "not too obvious from 10' away", drilling and pulling is a good option. Filler and touchup paint is relatively easy.

I've got one that's similar. I decided it added "character" and left it alone. I don't even see it any more.
Funny you should mention that. "Character" is my wife's speak for she dented or dinged something. With my wife's families love of playing the game spoons, we have a breakfast table with lots of "Character," I refuse to let them play it or any game at the dining table.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only one way to find out. Besides, what else have you got to do this weekend? Didn't find anything on youtube, so if you tackle this project you might want to video it while you do for other.
I looked up a video on how to replace the subwoofer but couldn't see much of what is on the inside panel

hehe I'm actually in my mid 30s, bought the car like this from a one owner female but she did not take care of it at all.

Air filter is completely caked, and I just cleaned the rear AC blower filter, which was never cleaned since 2003.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
hehe I'm actually in my mid 30s, bought the car like this from a one owner female but she did not take care of it at all.
I didn't want to jump to conclusions I couldn't safely back out of. I guess one's teenage kids are still fair game. :p

Air filter is completely caked, and I just cleaned the rear AC blower filter, which was never cleaned since 2003.
Good for you. It bears repeating, since it's not indicated by Honda as any scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
121 Posts

If I take off the inside panel where the subwoofer is, can I easily access the other side of this dent to hammer it out with a rubber mallet?

I don't want to go through the work of removing the inside panel / seat just to have more layers that need to be removed, so asking in advanced.

Many thanks View attachment 137298 View attachment 137299
A home gamer is not gonna do that job even if you take the inner panel off.

That dent is bent is so many ways, you are going to need to use weld on studs and a slide hammer to get this right. Even then, the badly warped fold at the base looks very difficult to repair correctly.

I would not advise trying this unless you have the tools (welder) and experience.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Many thanks View attachment 137298 View attachment 137299
Easy/Cheap and sexy fixes
You just need some decals on the spot.... here...

or....
"My vehicle battled Chuck Norris, and it's still driving...here's proof..."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A home gamer is not gonna do that job even if you take the inner panel off.

That dent is bent is so many ways, you are going to need to use weld on studs and a slide hammer to get this right. Even then, the badly warped fold at the base looks very difficult to repair correctly.

I would not advise trying this unless you have the tools (welder) and experience.
I don't intend for a perfect fix, instead just pop out the major dent area so its not as appearant.

Maybe after that, can stick some decals as suggested:sneaky:

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
This is an 07. Its double wall steel. Maybe go through the speaker orifice.

Reactions: gladiatorPilot

·
Registered
121 Posts
That is not a minor ding or repair. Here's a picture of the damage to my 2012 Pilot last month when a lady in a Lexus and I backed into each other. Repair was $2,665.62. The taillight lens was replaced because it was scratched, which is not hardly visible in the picture.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts