Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have 2010 Pilot and it had about 2 gallons of regular gas remaining in the fuel tank.
On Friday last week, my wife added 2 gallons of gas out of a Gas Can that has been sitting in my garage more than 6 month.
On Sunday I drove it to Walmart (about 8 miles round trip) and the car drove just fine.
Yesterday (Monday), my wife drove the Pilot to do some errands (bank & grocery) and she called me saying the car did not sound normal.
When she brought it home, I turned on the engine and I see "Check Emission System" and "VTM-4" lights on and I can hear that engine sounds like a boat engine sitting idle (that is for the lack of better words. Should I record the sound and post it here?). I guess the engine sounded different and louder than normal.
Having said that, can adding old gasoline cause the problems that I am having?
If that is the case, can I drive to the gas station to fill up the gas tank?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Gas setting around in a can for 6 months will likely have lost some octane. I'd simply put some fresh fuel in the tank and see if it helps.
It be good to get the detailed trouble codes. Do you have an OBD II scanner? Most parts stores will scan for the codes for free.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,336 Posts
I only use old gas in lawn equipment.
In your scenario, go to your local gas station, dilute the bad gas by filling the tank. When the tank is at 3/4 full, go back and fill it up again.

the more diluted the bad gas is the better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come to think of it, the gas in the Gas Can is probably close to 1 year.
I don't have OBD II scanner. I could go to Auto Part store to get them scan for me.
But as you guys suggested, I will go to Gas Station, fill it up and drive around to see if I can tell any difference.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Every time gas goes in a can...........

No more problems, but then gas only lasts about 3 months, for 9 months out of the year. I do keep 1 gallon for up to 6 months over the winter for the snow blower. It is the first gas that goes in the mower in the spring.

·
Administrator
16,336 Posts
Go over board, use top tier gas and get some techron or Lucas fuel injector cleaner. The Ethanol in the gas absorbs water. So give it a good drive, even though its wasted miles.

I really hope you dodge a bullet on this one and it turns out great for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just filled it up with “premium” gas for the first time on this vehicle and I will drive around to see if it makes the difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my way to gas station, I noticed one additional light - VSA. After filling up the gas, I came home because I had an appointment. But while driving, I pushed the gas pedal to the floor and the engine hesitated and made sound like “tur tur tur” as if it is missing a beat. That is the best way that I can describe the sound. But definitely the car could not accelerate like it would normally when you floor it.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
On my way to gas station, I noticed one additional light - VSA. After filling up the gas, I came home because I had an appointment. But while driving, I pushed the gas pedal to the floor and the engine hesitated and made sound like “tur tur tur” as if it is missing a beat. That is the best way that I can describe the sound. But definitely the car could not accelerate like it would normally when you floor it. View attachment 148841
Ya, I'd scan for trouble codes. Hopefully something simple.

·
Administrator
4,878 Posts
Since you just filled it, drop a bottle of HEET into the tank. Water in the gasoline can trigger emission systems warnings and can cause hesitancy when accelerating. Couple of dollars for a bottle of HEET may solve the problem. If not it will not have caused any harm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If it's an old can, there could also be sediment and other crap (like oil or water) that was in the can that got washed into your fuel tank. It happened to me years ago when my dad gave me a 40 year old gas can. I never cleaned it out before I used it. All the residue, dirt and various additives mixed with the gas and made my lawncare equipment run like garbage until I figured it out and dumped it.

·
Administrator
4,878 Posts
That should do the trick. I use the injector cleaner version as my riding mower has a fuel injected engine as well.

I figure it can't hurt to clean the injectors as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The engine light has been blinking. Is it worth driving around hoping that potential problems would go away? I spoke to Honda dealership about the blinking engine light and they said that they recommend the vehicle be towed to repair facility because engine is misfiring.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
The engine light has been blinking. Is it worth driving around hoping that potential problems would go away? I spoke to Honda dealership about the blinking engine light and they said that they recommend the vehicle be towed to repair facility because engine is misfiring.
If I didn't have an OBD II scanner, I'd stop at AutoZone or O'Reillys and ask them if they would scan my vehicle for codes. The codes will end speculation.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
I recommend getting the codes first because if it's a sensor or something easy, we might can save you from incurring big repair bill, that is if you dont mind a little DIY. 😁👍

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Administrator
4,878 Posts
I recommend getting the codes first because if it's a sensor or something easy, we might can save you from incurring big repair bill, that is if you dont mind a little DIY. 😁👍
Good advise, unless you are not mechanically inclined, then instead of DIY meaning Do It Yourself it could be the antithesis where DIY means Damage It Yourself. Sensors are generally pretty easy to replace with a little time and patience.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Good advise, unless you are not mechanically inclined, then instead of DIY meaning Do It Yourself it could be the
antithesis where DIY means Damage It Yourself. Sensors are generally pretty easy to replace with a little time and patience.
Lol. Ok... Now I gotta find another acronym for Do It Yourself. smirk

·
Administrator
16,336 Posts
All I can say is good luck. You're getting great support here. If you do end up having to have the tank drained at a shop then refilled with fresh gas, you'll know you've done all you can before having to spend the $$$.

·
Administrator
4,878 Posts
Lol. Ok... Now I gotta find another acronym for Do It Yourself. smirk
Oh I don't know. If memory serves me correctly and I look hard enough I might find a thread or two where you were the antithesis of the common meaning. And if memory also serves me correctly you remedied the problem and learned from the situation. That's life.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts