Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few photos and videos of replacing the front Cam Thrust Cover Gasket. This requires removing the EGR valve. The only thing I did differently is I clean the oil and dirt off 1st, so as not to have any trash go up into the cylinder head with the cap off.
Loosen wire harnesses to EGR valve.
Remove EGR valve, two 12mm nuts.
Remove two 12mm cam thrust cover bolts.
Tap down the front ear of the cap (as pictured) to offset, to have a way to gently pry apart, a little each side until it pops out.

Replace O-ring.

I bought a new EGR valve gasket, sometimes they tear when removed. 60¢ on RockAuto.

Now for the rear cam thrust cover gasket, It was not as bad as you might think....

This little black box is called a Purge Joint. It will have to be taken loose. I released the top clamp on the upper tubing and left it attached to the purge joint. The purge joint has a clip on the back that you gently pry apart to release. Now you can pushed it back out of the way. This reveals the cam thrust cover.

I didn't bother removing the purge joint stay (bracket). Now remove the two 12mm bolts. The left side was more of a challenge because of the fuel line. I had to use 1/4 to get past the fuel conection.

The rest is self explanatory.

It's not like I saw a whole lot of oil leaking from these, but I guess every bit stopped helps.
Give yourself 1 1/2 hours. 2 if you like to take your time. A little grease under the nails, but not bad. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Great detailed work. Based off the pics the leak must have been minor. Im sure you tried tightening the bolts a bit before deciding to replace o-rings

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great detailed work. Based off the pics the leak must have been minor. Im sure you tried tightening the bolts a bit before deciding to replace o-rings
The bolts were extremely tight when attempting to break loose. I don't believe the tightness of the bolts would effect the O-rings ability to seal. $7 worth of parts and an hour and a half of labor, no big deal. The dust below these caps were oily, but by no means was it a gusher. The O-ring gaskets were hardened after 262k miles. Maybe leaking more than I know. Hard to say. I guess time will tell.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
I bought a new EGR valve gasket, sometimes they tear when removed. 60¢ on RockAuto.

Wow, I bought the exact same EGR valve gasket from RA a couple of months ago. It's still sitting there, because then I had second thoughts. I've never, ever heard of a company called Victor Reinz, so I wondered if it might crap things up more than just reusing the OEM gasket, if I can remove it cleanly.

What are your impressions of that EGR gasket? Did you end up installing it?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Wow, I bought the exact same EGR valve gasket from RA a couple of months ago. It's still sitting there, because then I had second thoughts. I'be never, ever heard of a company called Victor Reinz, so I wondered if it might crap things up more than just reusing the OEM gasket, if I can remove it cleanly.

What are your impressions of that EGR gasket? Did you end up insalling it?
Yes, I used it. Not the prettiest gasket I've seen, but I dont see any reason it won't work. Have no fear.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
There are a few photos and videos of replacing the front Cam Thrust Cover Gasket. This requires removing the EGR valve. The only thing I did differently is I clean the oil and dirt off 1st, so as not to have any trash go up into the cylinder head with the cap off.
Loosen wire harnesses to EGR valve.
Remove EGR valve, two 12mm nuts.
Remove two 12mm cam thrust cover bolts.
Tap down the front ear of the cap (as pictured) to offset, to have a way to gently pry apart, a little each side until it pops out.
View attachment 146079
View attachment 146080
Replace O-ring.
View attachment 146083
View attachment 146084
Now for the rear cam thrust cover gasket, It was not as bad as you might think....
View attachment 146087
This little black box is called a Purge Joint. It will have to be taken loose. I released the top clamp on the upper tubing and left it attached to the purge joint. The purge joint has a clip on the back that you gently pry apart to release. Now you can pushed it back out of the way. This reveals the cam thrust cover.
View attachment 146088
I didn't bother removing the purge joint stay (bracket). Now remove the two 12mm bolts. The left side was more of a challenge because of the fuel line. I had to use 1/4 to get past the fuel conection.
View attachment 146089
The rest is self explanatory.
View attachment 146090
It's not like I saw a whole lot of oil leaking from these, but I guess every bit stopped helps.
Give yourself 1 1/2 hours. 2 if you like to take your time. A little grease under the nails, but not bad. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the great write-up. If I ever get that far, happen to know if there's any service required on the purge joint? Maybe replace a carbon filter or the whole unit? I notice it's only a $9 part. Is it just an empty can to hold fumes from the gas tank or does it perform some other function needing maintenance?

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing I would recommend. If you are doing these o rings I would replace the whole cover. I've seen a few of these cam thrust covers grind with the cam so much that the shaft end play goes out of spec. If the end play causes the camshaft gear to come in contact with the cam sensor. Once it is at that point honda recommends the cam, cam gear, sensor and cover. It's not often this happens but I have fixed a few.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great write-up. If I ever get that far, happen to know if there's any service required on the purge joint? Maybe replace a carbon filter or the whole unit? I notice it's only a $9 part. Is it just an empty can to hold fumes from the gas tank or does it perform some other function needing maintenance?
Unless having an issue with the EVAP system associated with a trouble code, it will likely last the lifetime of the vehicle.

Reactions: jimmaki
1 - 9 of 9 Posts